U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,047 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to the forums and looking to move within PA or NJ within the next six months. I am a divorced mother of 3. I'd like to buy a mobile home in a nice area that is quiet, family friendly and accepting of all backgrounds. I am black, but don't care who I live around as long as they are nice, hardworking people. I'd like to live in an area with decent public schools.

I looked at a few places in Bath and liked them. Looking at the City Data, I see that the majority of residents are Caucasian and that there are very few Blacks.

I read something about Northampton school district and it not being too minority friendly.

What do you think?

When are you moving? Within six months
Where are you coming from? Philly
Why are you moving? Want to get away from negativity, crime and drugs, rude children, trashy streets, bad school districts and so on.
Where will you be working? Unsure
Have you been here yet? I haven't had a chance to visit Lehigh County.

Will you buy or rent? looking to buy a mobile home as inexpensive as possible (less than $50,000

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Divorced with 3 children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? 1 cat
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Doesnt matter as long as they are open minded people.

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:34 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,504,815 times
With the exception of the city's themselves (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) all of the Lehigh Valley is overwhelmingly Caucasian. As you know, that does not mean that any of these towns won't welcome people that aren't white, just that it's the majority race. I don't think anyone from Bath has posted on this forum before so I don't hold much hope that they will pop up now but a local would be your best bet for accurate information. Barring that, I would just drive on up here and look around. Philadelphia is only an hour from the Lehigh Valley and it's not a bad drive. Just be aware that there are not too many mobile home places around. There is a fairly nice one in my School District (Southern Lehigh) right off of Route 309 between the intersection of Camp Meeting Road and Saucon Valley Road. It would be on the left side as you are going North. We have a very good school district.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM

995 posts, read 2,481,289 times
Wasn't there a strip club in Bath? Off 248.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM

36 posts, read 94,465 times
The mobile home parks in the area are hit or miss, some are really nice and some are dumps. There is a fairly large one near Bath called Hickory Hills, it's been a long time since I was last there so I couldn't tell you what it is like. One of the nicest ones in the area is Green Acres which is near 222/100 in Breinigsville, Only catch there is that the lot rent is fairly pricey. I know it's a little far from Bath, but there is quite a mix of homes there old and new so I am sure there is something there to meet your needs. There is also one in Hereford near the intersection of 29/100.

Busy mentioned the one in Center Valley, which is also pretty nice, but don't confuse it for the one on 309 by the Scottish Inn which is a dump.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM

58 posts, read 191,698 times
Default Bath, PA

Unfortunately, I have heard the schools can be a bit racist. I moved here - Bath that is, from NJ just two years ago. My oldest starts middle school in a year. I have heard bad and good things.....I think it used to be a bit more racist than it currently is, so things are improving, but, I have to be honest, I have heard, and was warned that the kids call their schools the KKK, in a racist fashion, due to people simply being igornant. It comes from the Koncrete Kids (which is their school name for sports, etc). We do have a bunch of minorities on our street in Bath, but for the most part, the area is white.....we're just on a diverse road/area, called Old Forge Drive. They are a bunch of row homes/townhomes in Bath. It can get a bit ugly here too at times though. You get some good neighbors and some bad....there is a nice creek behind the houses and a big field for the kids to play in, and they are all three bedrooms that run cheap. We were a bit ignorant into what we were moving into, but make the best of it, and they're cheap. Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 AM

4,123 posts, read 8,001,564 times
Bath and Nazzo should be avoided by non whites. End of story!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,818 times
I've grown up in Northampton County all my life and haven't seen racial hatred or the KKK around really anywhere. I lived in Frederick, MD for five years and actually got flyers on my car twice for pro-KKK activity. I have never seen anything like this around here.

I just came across the wikipedia entry for Northampton Area School District (where I went and my kids will go). The entry stated that it is 'widely believed that the Konkrete Kids was a reference to the region's strong ties to the KKK." It went further to state that "no minorities should visit there."

I created a wikipedia account and removed the entry since it was one person's opinion and simply not fact.

Recently, there was a quadriple homicide in Northampton of four white people by another white person who seems to have Ku Klux Klan ties in the past, but I would imagine that could happen anywhere. It's unfortunate that this group still exists in the world today.

If you're still concerned about moving to the area, look up articles featuring keywords ku klux klan on the Morning Call's website. I really hope you find our area safe for you and your family!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,593,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Wasn't there a strip club in Bath? Off 248.
That would be "the Fox" which recently changed its name to "Tattletales". It's basically right in downtown Bath.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 AM

58 posts, read 191,698 times
It is more a not so funny joke the kids say....I'm white, and not racist, but I have heard kids joke KKK from the Koncrete Kids in a racist fashion.....regardless of there being no ties to the actual KKK, it is still a hurtful and bad joke for these school kids to be saying.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,105 times
I moved to Bath in 1980. I had heard about some rascism prior to the '70 but have not really seen any around my neighborhood which is mostly white with our family still relatively newcomers. There is a nice manufactured home area just south of Bath called Greenbriar in East Allen Township.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or