U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment in bethlehem but I have a rottie (who is very well behaved and very friendly), are there any apartments in the area that allow them? Typically I know that these are on the breed restrictions list but I need a place. I also have a lab but during the day while I'm at work they would be at a doggie day camp so they would only be there when I'm home.

Last edited by kwinks6; 07-08-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,478 times
If you find a place please let me know also. I will be relocating up to Allentown with my job and have a doberman.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Google, "Pet friendly apartments, Allentown" or Lehigh Valley and you should get some hits. Try Craigs list too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,845,340 times
As a Multi-Doberman owner, I HEAR you; the ignorance is still out there. "Restricted List", my BUTT . Never Apologize or reference that list. You have two large dogs who ARE NOT HOME WITHOUT YOU. End of story. you might do better renting a house. Best of Luck!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 AM

783 posts, read 1,813,898 times
I highly doubt you'd be able to find any complexes that would allow you to have a rottweiller. Even the pet-friendly complexes have breed restrictions and weight limits and your dog wouldn't qualify for either one. Your best bet would be to rent a house or a townhouse with a yard. Renting from someone that owns the property will give you better leverage in negotiating something like that. They may want a higher deposit though. Not that it's any of my business, but why would you want to have such a big dog into an apt without a yard? Seems impractical.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I highly doubt you'd be able to find any complexes that would allow you to have a rottweiller. Even the pet-friendly complexes have breed restrictions and weight limits and your dog wouldn't qualify for either one. Your best bet would be to rent a house or a townhouse with a yard. Renting from someone that owns the property will give you better leverage in negotiating something like that. They may want a higher deposit though. Not that it's any of my business, but why would you want to have such a big dog into an apt without a yard? Seems impractical.
I don't know the poster's reasons, but Rottis are not the "athletes" of the working category, unlike Dobermans, Shepherds and Boxers. A nice, vigorous walk daily would suit them just fine.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,594,337 times
When I was a landlord, I was personally attacked by a neighbor's full grown rottweiler. Took a nice chunk out of my left leg. Sure, it was most likely mistreated by the owner, but if I were renting out a place today, I would not rent to a pitbull, doberman, or rottweiler owner.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,295,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
When I was a landlord, I was personally attacked by a neighbor's full grown rottweiler. Took a nice chunk out of my left leg. Sure, it was most likely mistreated by the owner, but if I were renting out a place today, I would not rent to a pitbull, doberman, or rottweiler owner.
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that experience.

Too many people want to own dangerous breeds and they don't know how to take care of them. That ruins it for all dog owners, because I absolutely can't blame apartment owners and cities for banning certain breeds. These breeds are banned because of what they do, whether it's ultimately the owner's fault or not.

Last edited by Davros; 07-28-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that experience.

Too many people want to own dangerous breeds and they don't know how to take care of them. That ruins it for all dog owners, because I absolutely can't blame apartment owners and cities for banning certain breeds. These breeds are banned because of what they do, whether it's ultimately the owner's fault or not.
utterly foolish. tALK TO ANY VET, and see who the biters are. I've owned Dobermans for 22 years, and never had a problem. It's only ignorance that mars this breed not the breed themselves. They are NOT the WWII dogs of the 40's.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,295,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
utterly foolish. tALK TO ANY VET, and see who the biters are. I've owned Dobermans for 22 years, and never had a problem. It's only ignorance that mars this breed not the breed themselves. They are NOT the WWII dogs of the 40's.
Tell that to the guy who had a chunk of his leg taken out by a Rottweiler. Now, would a cocker spaniel be able to do that kind of damage ?

Look, I know fatal dog bites are very rare. But the vast majority of such bites are made by a handfull of breeds. If apartment managers and cities want to ban such breeds, who are you to tell them they can't, just because your Dobermans haven't ever given you any problems? Actually, in terms of dangerous dogs, Dobermans are quite a bit down on the list behind Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Malamutes, Huskies, Chows and a couple of others. Dobermans just look scarier than a couple of those breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley