U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,889 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am back my wife just went up this weekend for a job interview and some apartment searching, she found a cute house in Allentown (yes I know Allentown) that we both like allot. The only downfall is the elementary school that is nearby it is not rated very well at all. My question is do you have the ability to choose what school in the district your child goes to? Or do you have to go to the school closet to your home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM

13,139 posts, read 31,630,271 times
You need to go to the school in your school district that they tell you to go to. This does not necessarily mean the closest one. I would call up the central office and ask them for specifics.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 9,889 times
I was hoping you were not going to say that toobusy, down here we can register them at any school in the district, we just have to provide the transportation. I guess that shoots that rental down, the school has a great schools rating of 2. Part of the reason for the move is a better education for the children!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 AM

13,139 posts, read 31,630,271 times
Great Schools is not a great site, IMHO. Anyone can get on and give their own highly opinionated review and just a couple of bad reviews, or great reviews will give a school a good or bad rating. Try this site Pennsylvania Schools - Find a Public or Private Pennsylvania School - SchoolDigger.com or this one SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link) for some real stats.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find any well regarded schools in the Allentown school district. However, Parkland School district Parkland School District : Grades K -12, Allentown PA (very good schools) does go into western Allentown. I personally like the western section of Allentown, nice houses and it's close to Wegman's and Target. I would call up Parkland School district and ask them specifically where their boundary is. This link shows the general boundaries Parkland School District Announces New School Boundary Lines (http://www.parklandsd.org/blog/archives/3273 - broken link) and I saw another link when I googled "Parkland school district boundary", but I couldn't get it to open.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM

86 posts, read 184,374 times
I suggest narrow in on a school district first and then only look at houses/rentals in that fall in that school district. Unless you don't care what school your children go to then you can do it the other way around.

Whether you are working with a Realtor or not, your first question should always be "what school district is it in." Don't look at properties that do not fall within your school district of choice. In PA you will have to show proof of living within a district and there is no way around it. Even if you are renting. You will have to show a license and a utility bill or two, and maybe a lease agreement.

Allentown is nicely sized and like all places there is the good and the not so good. There is still plenty of good in Allentown if you pick the right area of Allentown. Toobusytoday gave you good info on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley