Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 70,853 times

Advertisements

Why don't you check the train schedule?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
To answer all the questions:

1) As was noted above, there is no train service between Allentown and New York. The closest trains are operated by NJ Transit. One of the lines is the Raritan Valley Line that runs between High Bridge (near Clinton along I-78) and Newark (where you connect with trains going to either midtown Manhattan or lower Manhattan at the WTC site). Most of the RVL trains start at Raritan however; Raritan is a little south of the I-78/I-287 interchange. The other line (actually lines) is the Morris & Essex Line that runs between Hackettstown and midtown Manhattan/Hoboken; most of these trains start in Dover (a little south of I-80 in central NJ). Additionally, there are trains on the M&E Gladstone Branch that run from Gladstone (a little north of the I-78/I-287 interchange) to Hoboken. You can transfer to trains going to midtown Manhattan at either Newark or Hoboken.

2) As was noted above, Trans-Bridge Lines runs frequent service between the Lehigh Valley and New York every day. Stops in the NYC area include Newark Airport, the Port Authority Bus Terminal (in midtown Manhattan one block west of Times Square), and JFK Airport.

3) There is one Greyhound bus/day in each direction that runs between Harrisburg and New York; it has stops in Allentown and Easton. For about a year, Capitol Trailways (owned by Bieber Tourways) ran express bus service between Harrisburg and New York that park-and-ride stops right off I-78 at Wescosville and Hellertown, but that service has been discontinued.

4) As was noted above, there is also no rail service between Allentown (or Bethlehem or Easton) and Philadelphia. The closest rail service is the SEPTA R5 Doylestown/Lansdale service between those areas and Center City Philadelphia. There is a station, as was noted above, at Colmar, right next to PA 309 a little north of the Montgomeryville commercial development along PA 309.

5) There is semi-frequent bus service between Allentown, Bethlehem, and Philadelphia on Bieber Tourways. The buses stop at the Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal in Center City Philadelphia (CCP) and I believe a couple other locations in/near CCP. Also, Susquehanna Trailways has 2 buses/day in each direction that stop in Allentown along their Williamsport-Philadelphia route. Finally, Greyhound has I believe 2 buses/day in each direction that stop in Easton along their Scranton-Philadelphia route.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Bieber has more then frequent service. Many people use it as their daily commuting bus. Bieber Tours - Home

Old 04-15-2009, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 56,709 times
I was told that plans are in the making for a railway service between Allentown and New York for the near future. Is this correct?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 AM

What's the near future? I would not move here expecting to be able to commute within the next five years or so. Or maybe 20.... Doesn't sound like a for sure thing to me.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 47,778 times
does the Trans Bridge bus go from NYC to Allentown?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Yes. Trans-Bridge Lines

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 10,007 times
Default AMTRAK in Allentown

There was Allentown - Philadelphia AMTRAK service in the past. in the 1980's i worked with people who commuted in from Allentown by train, and I believe it was AMTRAK as CONTRAIL did not reach that far north. Commuter rail was still being provided by CONRAIL which "El Stanley" wanted to get away from, and did.
I did not pay attention 'til many years later when someone wrote an attack on AMTRAK citing Allentown as an example of a city that AMTRAK did not provide service to.
i asked a coworker recently arrived from Allentown and she confirmed, yes, there had been service to Phila.,yes, it had been discontinued, but there was a movement to have it restored.
since that time, Allentown has been redefined as a bedroom community of New York City, so AMTRAK to N.Y.C. makes sense.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Amtrak running one passenger train from Allentown to New York City next spring

Old 12-15-2015, 10:08 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Default fanciful

It's a fantasy. If you look at Raritan Valley line in NJ (the last 5 stations) ridership is minimum. Bus riders far outnumber train riders because the bus is so much faster.
  1. North Branch
  2. White House
  3. Lebanon
  4. Annandale
  5. High Bridge

Bottom line is after 30 years if NJ Transit doesn't think it makes any sense to extend their commuter line to Phillipsburg, than crossing into PA is never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley