U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 14,282 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area, my husband is originally from Emmaus. Unfortunately we couldn't find housing w/ pets in Emmaus so we are forced to move near by, we have the option for an apt in south allentown old mansion or an apt in a two unit home located in Fountain Hill, my question would be which do you feel is safer? Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,599,788 times
Where in Fountain Hill? I would avoid any street named after an indian tribe below the 1200 block and Broadway below the 1200 block.

What streets/area of S. Allentown?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM

12,871 posts, read 29,537,539 times
Good questions John. I hesitate to recommend either area without out more specifics. You might want to DM John if you don't want to post personal information here. I wonder if the Fountain Hill place might be where Muhlenberg students live.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM

One is on Delaware Ave. Fountain Hill and the South allentown is on South 5th Street.. Thank you for replying, my husband is from emmaus, and I don't think he really ventured out enough in allentown/fountain hill to really know the "bad" areas.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,599,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriouslysane1 View Post
One is on Delaware Ave. Fountain Hill and the South allentown is on South 5th Street.. Thank you for replying, my husband is from emmaus, and I don't think he really ventured out enough in allentown/fountain hill to really know the "bad" areas.
The only area of S. 5th Street I would even consider are the couple of blocks south of W. Emmaus Avenue. The rest of S. 5th is probably worse than the worst area of Fountain Hill.

Delaware Ave in Fountain Hill is generally pretty decent. I would the 800 through 1,000 blocks are a little "diverse", but nothing to really worry about too much from a safety perspective. Properties seemed well kept. Having not lived on Delaware but an adjacent side street for a short while, it seemed safe and low-crime to me. Just lock your doors and that should cover it.

Muhlenberg students probably live in west Allentown. Fountain Hill is relatively close to Lehigh U, I used to know a couple Lehigh grad students who lived in Fountain Hill and seemed to like it.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Yeah, well the S 5th street he mentioned they were in an old mansion but when I google mapped it to street view it looked kinda yucky. of course we don't actually have the house number. We were just discussing the property features and stuff. I am having trouble because we have more then 2 cats, and well people automatically are like nope, sorry. So we are limited. Anyway thank you for your input.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
I live in the 1100 block of Broadway, and have for about 6 years now. In that time we've only had to call the police one time (some guy passed out in his car with the stereo blasting at full volume at 4 in the morning), and they were there in about a minute. I'm originally from the suburbs surrounding DC, so that impressed me. I can't vouch for any neighborhoods south of the VIP taproom, but I do know that as far as my area goes, the neighborhood is pretty decent. People take care of their property, keep an eye on their (and each other's) children, and interact with each other. Generally we're pretty happy living here.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 AM

736 posts, read 1,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Just lock your doors and that should cover it.
Maybe I'm just paranoid...but shouldn't people lock their doors no matter where they live?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM

I lock my doors all the time no matter what..just a habit, In fact when we visited my mother in law they just sit around with the front door open and they open the screen on the screen door for air.. They left and it was just me and my husbands 80 year old grandma, I was so uneasy because it was night time I finally shut the door.. You just don't know about people or their intentions granted it was Emmaus, and I think the last bad thing I heard about was a shooting like 4 years ago. but still. lol

Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 PM

736 posts, read 1,517,646 times
How many cats do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley