U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 PM

248 posts, read 709,756 times

Advertisements

I live in the Saucon Valley School District right now. The way it is set up, I am about 400 yards from the Southern Lehigh School District. I know that SLSD is ranked higher, but is there really that much of a difference between them? Enough to move to a new house? My husband is considering moving down the street of all things to be in SLSD..... is it really worth all that?

any info you have would be great (my in laws live in East Penn. seems if we are moving to change districts, we might as well go all the way LOL!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,512,737 times
Sorry, I'm a bit prejudiced since I live in Southern Lehigh! We chose it over Saucon Valley AND East Penn. If you don't own your house I would look into moving. Saucon is a good district though so if you've bought your home, I would stay there.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,972,305 times
Unless your child is struggling and you know for a fact that Southern Lehigh has the magic to fix everything, I would never move to change schools, when the schools are so comparable.

Not to mention the fact that school districts love to redistrict every few years, so you could move and then very well find yourselves back where you started - wouldn't that be a kick in the ass.

Stay put - the grass is not always greener and it needs mowing too.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,512,737 times
I agree with you Kristy about not moving because you really don't know if one school district is going to be that much different, but not about re-zoning. Re-zoning doesn't seem to happen between districts around here. They might re-zone a certain school within a district but in the 13 years we've lived here they've never re-zoned a district. Of course, I would never say never because the State was talking about doing just that earlier this year. I wonder if they are still working on that. If you combined Saucon and Southern Lehigh we would still be smaller then East Penn SD.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM

248 posts, read 709,756 times
yah... EPSD is VERY large... my husband went through the Bethlehem area schools (Liberty) so he is a bit skewed when it comes to size!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree with you Kristy about not moving because you really don't know if one school district is going to be that much different, but not about re-zoning. Re-zoning doesn't seem to happen between districts around here. They might re-zone a certain school within a district but in the 13 years we've lived here they've never re-zoned a district. Of course, I would never say never because the State was talking about doing just that earlier this year. I wonder if they are still working on that. If you combined Saucon and Southern Lehigh we would still be smaller then East Penn SD.
You're right. I was thinking redistricting within the school district. I still wouldn't move - the two districts are both good.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post
yah... EPSD is VERY large... my husband went through the Bethlehem area schools (Liberty) so he is a bit skewed when it comes to size!
EPSD is huge and even though they just opened a new elementary school, my kids' classes are still too crowded. I am not happy about class size. The SD sits on a huge slush fund of money, yet won't add more teachers - a big problem here. Board meeting tonight, in fact, so I get to go and become frustrated yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley