U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 PM

114 posts, read 347,111 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to the Allentown area. Bath is of particular interest to me since I'll have a better opportunity to buy a house, or possibly a manufactured house. It appears there are jobs in my line of work in Allentown.

Can you give the me the good, bad and ugly about Bath and Allentown?

LHermey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,229,766 times
I have an aunt and uncle on Christmas Avenue in Bath. I've only been to their house a few times but from what I saw of Bath it seemed nice.

Allentown is a city compared to Bath. Traffic on Route 22 is horrendous. It just depends on whether you like a smaller town or a city-type place to call home.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Allentown and Bath

Thank you Dawn for the information. I prefer to live in a more country like setting so Bath might work for me. If I do decide to make this move I guess I'll have to deal with the traffic. My first choice was Scranton, but there are fewer jobs in this area. I want to be within an hours drive of my son who happens to reside in Saw Creek Estates in The Poconos.
LHermey

Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 PM

108 posts, read 115,915 times
I grew up around Allentown and vicinity in the 80's. Honestly, the thought of returning there would be a nightmare. It was attractive and safe when my parents grew up there, I'm sure. But I really can't think of a benefit now to that particular area. People are nice, of course, but not quite as friendly and open as you'll find in other areas, sorry to say. In my community and network, people were very tight knit and focused primarily on their families and not so much to reaching out to strangers.

Bath does have some beautiful surroundings. Best wishes with your decision.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Allentown & Bath

Hi ATLBound,

I don't mind people not reaching out to strangers. I don't have family here in CA and have been alone in CA for 15 years with NOBODY reaching out. When I left NJ 15 years ago the people there were so nice and welcoming, but boy CA is a whole different story. I have family back in PA and that's all I'll need. If I'm able to make a friend or two that will be a double plus.

Thank your thoughts/feelings, and the information about the area. I'm anxious to visit Allentown and the areas around it.
LHermey

Old 07-11-2007, 05:07 AM

63 posts, read 53,996 times
Default Here's A Thought . . .

Greetings and Salutations lhermey,

As a former long-time resident of Alleytown ... need I say more? ... hahahaha ... had you ever considered moving slightly west of Allentown's city limits?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 AM

21,460 posts, read 19,249,360 times
Allentown is experiencing a rash of homicides right now and unfortunately many( recently moved there) residents are okay with it. I feel bad for the town because Reading was in the same boat until a year ago and could easily be right back there again. The western suburbs of Allentown are much nicer, but 22 traffic is a major pain.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 AM

Hello Icy Tea & 4UnMe2C ,

Can you please give me the names of some of Allentowns western suburbs? I don't plan to live in Allentown, just work there and live in the suburbs. I heard if I live in Bath and work in Allentown that the traffic on 22 is bad. I'm used to bad traffic in CA.
Thank you.
LHermey

Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 AM

63 posts, read 53,996 times
Hello lhermey,

I do have an array of very informative links, to which includes manufactured homes, that I would be willing to share with you, and those that would be interested, for the areas of Trexlertown and Breinigsville, to which are located within the Upper Macungie Township and are rapidly growing.

With regards to bad traffic: a few years ago, I had the golden opportunity to visit Southern California, and honestly, I felt right at home, except for a few extra lanes. As Icy Tea had stated: " Route 22 is a major pain." and might I add, I-78, Hamilton Boulevard aka Route 222 and Route 100, are as well. It is bad all over, especially with all the road construction going on, during this time of year, yet never forget: "Pennsylvania only has two seasons ... Winter and Construction!"

Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 AM

12,915 posts, read 29,802,165 times
I think we're just spoiled up here in Lehigh County. We moved here from Delaware county (closer to Philadelphia and Wilmington) 10 years ago and the route 22 traffic is no worse then it's always been on I-95 or route 202. I'm just glad my husband and I don't have to drive near it at rush hour.

The Northern, Western and Southern suburbs surrounding Allentown are all pretty good. Generally, just stay out of the city for housing if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley