U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately my son may be attending school in Bethlehem. In some quick searching on this site, I have read that it is one of the bottom school districts in the area (Allentown & Easton being worse). I have done research on schooldigger.com and other websites, but all you get are test scores and stats. I was wondering if I can get some testimonials about the district. Are there other factors besides just curriculum that I should be worried about?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 PM

63 posts, read 164,590 times
I'm confused about what exactly you are asking. I don't actually think you should be worried about curriculum simply because the district scores are lower than others. IMHO, the socio-economics, transience, and second-language learners are why the cities score lower than the suburban and rural areas.

If you talk to people who go there, you will find, just like any other district, that there are people who love it, and now their kids are at X college, and people who hate it, and now their kids are dropouts (to use an extreme example). If it is reassurance you are looking for, call the office at your school and meet with the principal and teachers. Ask if you can speak with some involved parents--theirs will be truer testimonials than this website's offerings (no offense to the posters).

I believe education is what you make it. Your first sentence says it all--your son may attend school in Bethlehem. Why not make the most of it? Get involved in PTA. Contact the teachers regularly. Encourage your son to get involved in meaningful activities so that he can make lifelong friendships and hobbies. Offer him enrichment opportunities of your own making as your see fit.

Good luck. I can understand why you may feel panicked after looking at test scores and reading this website. But keep in mind that those numbers do not create a full and meaningful picture of a school and the people inside of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley