Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:28 AM

169 posts, read 661,212 times

Advertisements

I personally like the westside and north side of bethlehem, as well as bethlehem township. The traffic is bad. Allow plenty of extra time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Default Hmmmmm

I moved from New Jersey to Bethlehem and all I can say is I am loving it - there are no trains from the Lehigh Valley area straight to Manhattan that I know of but your best bet will be the bus.

I have commuted a few times from Bethlehem to Edison by taking the Transbridge bus - its always on time and reliable. There is another bus service called Bieber I have never used that but I heard they also go to new York. If you want to avoid the morning rush hour traffic to either NY or NJ you have to be on any bus between 5.15am - 5.35am else you will be stuck in traffic.

Hope this helps..!!!

=============

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
well my kids will be attending a private Jewish school anyway...so really doesnt matter what the schools are like....other then there has to be an orthodox jewish day school in that area.

but thanks for the opinions...much appreciated

I have been told over and over that the commute from Bethlehem to Manhattan is a nightmare and that there are no trains...only a bus...and Iam not sure if that is dependable especially in bad traffic and winter weather....what are your thoughts on this?

How does one get info on cities that are linked to the trains that go into NYC?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
We have NO passenger trains here in the Lehigh Valley. If you must commute everyday to Manhatten, you might want to look into living closer to the city. That is why our home prices are lower here, because it is not convienent. I have taken the Bieber bus into Manhatten, but only for pleasure. I believe it's around $37 round trip from Hellertown (near Lehigh U), probably cheaper for a commuter pass. Parking is limited in Hellertown.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But the poster said she does not do well in small towns. Presents a dilemma because none of the areas in the Lehigh Valley that have good schools are in the cities. An option would be to live in Bethlehem and have the kids go to private school. Moravian Academy, right in Bethlehem, is very well regarded.
Much of the west end of Allentown is in the Parkland School District.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 PM

True, but you can't call that area of Allentown a town, you know? It's homes and stores but nothing cohesive. I'm not going to argue that Parkland is not a good school district (I think the best is questionable) but are there any real towns in Parkland school district? Places that have a main street? Also, if she's already talking about East to Manhatten she probably wouldn't want to start to the West of both Allentown and Bethlehem. I don't mean to be argumentative but sometimes our own school districts aren't the best fit for other people. I wouldn't want to live in Parkland or East Penn because the High Schools are too big (for my taste) but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend either to someone else.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 PM

oops, I meant to say, " ...she's already talking about driving East to Manhatten so she probably wouldn't want to start to West of both Allentown and Bethlehem". too late to edit.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
oops, I meant to say, " ...she's already talking about driving East to Manhatten so she probably wouldn't want to start to West of both Allentown and Bethlehem". too late to edit.
I thought the OP was working in Bethlehem? I didn't see anything about not liking small towns. Sorry if I missed something.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:35 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times
Quote:
I have been told over and over that the commute from Bethlehem to Manhattan is a nightmare
Absolutely! Driving from PA to NYC every day would not be worth the bigger house - no way! There is something to be said for quality of life, and spending 4+ hours in a car each day would greatly diminish one's quality of life.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
We are considering a move to Bethlehem...can someone tell me if it feels like a city or a village? Iam not much of a country girl but like green space....malls and big shopping have to be close to enjoy or I will be bored. whats it like there? can a big city girl be happy there? or is it too layed back?
This is the poster I'm referring to since the original poster that started the thread was Kristyliz (before she moved here!) and Chanamiryam who picked it up again.

Okay, now where is that turkey??

Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 AM

My bad, I didn't look at the dates.

We are a turkey free family and have lobster and roast beef on turkey day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley