U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 PM

12,871 posts, read 29,530,398 times

Advertisements

On another thread, a poster did not like my disagreement when she said her school was excellent. So as not to continue a thread hi-jack, I thought we continue that conversation here.

When we decided to move to the Lehigh Valley, Schools were our top priority along with affordable housing. We chose Southern Lehigh after visiting schools in Lehigh, Bucks and Montgomery county and looking at houses in all three counties. We figured out what we wanted - small schools where our kids would get to know their teachers, good test scores, a rigorous High School curriculum but not an atmosphere of snobbiness. We also wanted the to know that the majority of kids expected to go to college. Test scores were important, but not the be all, end all. It was however, a good starting point and we did rule out schools because of that and overcrowding. Last year our SL built an intermediate school to alleviate overcrowding. My kids old elementary school now has average classes of 20 kids.

We looked for about a year before we decided on the school district and then we only looked in Southern Lehigh.

This is absolutely not to say that I think this is the best school district for everyone or that it's an excellent school district. I, subjectively, think it's one of the best school districts in the Lehigh Valley and it's been the best one for our family. You can't judge a district by one school. You have to look at all the schools and most importantly the High School. SLHS has a very studied approach to how classes are added or taken away. Thought is given to adding AP classes, or NOT adding them. Because of it's proximity to so many colleges, a couple of dozen kids also take a class or two at nearby Universities in their senior year.

We didn't care about the athletics at all, and while we have some very good teams, particularly soccer, field hockey and lacrosse, some of those same kids are also in the musicals and plays or on the speech and debate teams. I like that. So, those are my reasons for picking my school district. I would love to hear why anyone else chose theirs.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,905,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Your schools are not bad, but I wouldn't put them in the same league as East Penn, Parkland or Southern Lehigh. SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sc/scid=16858,15830,16529/pid=cmp/up_scid=16858,15830,16529/up_pn=1,1,1/up_ust=PA/up_csa=3 - broken link)
Your argument that her school isn't excellent, when you held out "excellent" examples of a district she was actually in., You should probably just delete this and apologize for the mistake. She should be upset, since you didn't think to check to see what district she was in before passing judgement and continue to defend your comments.

Top 5 Districts IMHO
Parkland
East Penn
S. Lehigh
Saucon Valley
Whitehall Coplay

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 03-15-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM

You are right in that I mistakenly thought that she was in Whitehall school district, when in fact she was in Parkland but my point is that I don't think that any schools in the Lehigh Valley are excellent and that people should figure out what they want from a school district and then go from there.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

226 posts, read 429,221 times
Thanks for the posting on southern lehight schools. my wife an i have started looking in that school district. thanks again.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,742 times
Do any of the high schools out here offer open enrollment for kids out of district? I'd hate to move but our schools district is mediocre at best (freedom high school area)

Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellerestocarlson View Post
Do any of the high schools out here offer open enrollment for kids out of district? I'd hate to move but our schools district is mediocre at best (freedom high school area)
No. There are some good charter schools in the area but I think they all have specific requirements - lottery, % from home school district, etc. It costs between $11,000 - $15,000 to educate each student so schools are not likely to accept students from out of their taxing area.

Realtors, See This.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 AM

2,813 posts, read 4,841,405 times
Any of the suburban school districts are fine. They are all kind of the same IMO.

For example, posters on here would say east penn, parkland and southern Lehigh are regarded as the top 3 districts, but Nazareth elementary was the only LV school to win the Blue Ribbon award. It's all subjective.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Southern Lehigh's Middle and High Schools are Blue Ribbon schools. Our district also has Middle States accreditation. Middle States Accreditation

Realtors, See This.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:04 PM

995 posts, read 2,482,423 times
I vote eastpenn school district

Old 10-22-2014, 01:18 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,841,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Southern Lehigh's Middle and High Schools are Blue Ribbon schools. Our district also has Middle States accreditation. Middle States Accreditation
I meant for 2014. I'm sure the SLSD has had blue ribbon schools in the past, but Nazareth middle school is the only one in the alley on the 2014 list.

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/2014/national.pdf

My point isn't that Nazareth is better or worse than any other district, but that they are all basically the same. One school wins one year, another the next.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or