Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,577 times

Advertisements

My family may be relocating to Allentown from RI in the next 9 months.

We have 3 elementary school aged children, so schools are very important to us.

Looking for a 4 bedroom home in the price range of $300-$350,000.

Can anyone recommend an area or neighboohood?

Any help would be greatly apprciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

148 posts, read 538,487 times
There are many great areas to live near Allentown. The 2 districts which are more sought after are East Penn and Parkland. With your price range, you can find many homes to look at.

The first thing I suggest is getting in touch with a realtor.

I moved almost 2 years ago from out of town, so if you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM

19 posts, read 47,190 times
Definitely stay out of the "City of Allentown" because the school district is just not up to par. The middle/high schools are where I am seeing the issues. We bought a home near the West End and it was nice in 2003 when we moved here, but things have taken a turn for the worse. We are leaving for either East Penn School District or Parkland, which are excellent from what I have seen.

I hear good things about Macungie, Emmaus, Alburtis, North Whitehall Twp., South Whitehall Twp., Orefield, and Schnecksville.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC77 View Post
Definitely stay out of the "City of Allentown" because the school district is just not up to par.!
To clarify this, many of the outlying areas of Allentown, have an Allentown mailing address, but are not the city proper.

The beautiful West End of Allentown is very desirable to live in, especially parts around Muhlenberg College, however parts of it are in Allentown S.D., which to be blunt, sucks. If you can afford private school, I wouldn't hesitate living in the West End.
Also, parts of the West End of Allentown are in the Parkland S.D., which most would agree is very good.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM

19 posts, read 47,190 times
Oh, yes- the West End is beautiful and if you can get into a private or parochial school, that is ideal. Or, of course if you find a home in Parkland S.D.- then you are all set!

The only thing I've noticed is that the taxes are pretty high once you reach the West End of Allentown. I don't know what you are accustomed to, but $4-6k a year for School, City, and County taxes combined is what I've seen.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC77 View Post
Oh, yes- the West End is beautiful and if you can get into a private or parochial school, that is ideal. Or, of course if you find a home in Parkland S.D.- then you are all set!

The only thing I've noticed is that the taxes are pretty high once you reach the West End of Allentown. I don't know what you are accustomed to, but $4-6k a year for School, City, and County taxes combined is what I've seen.
Yes, you are right, the taxes are high. I do believe though, they are less than our friends in East Penn.

They have to pay for High School Mecca (Parkland HS) somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley