Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 16,229 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at homes in the East Penn school district. We have elementary school aged children. For those of you who have kids in the district, please rank the following:

1. Wescosville
2. Lower Macungie
3. Willow Lane
4. Shoemaker

We're trying to get a sense of what sets each of the above apart from one another. For instance, we've heard that the prinicpal and some faculty left Wescosville to go to Willow Lane that opened this year.

Are there any of the above you would not send your child to? If so, why not? What are the main distinguishing characteristics of each school?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
My boys go to Willow, but went to Shoemaker before Willow opened - I have been equally happy with both. That being said, the bulk of the Shoemaker kids (and their very involved PTO parents) got moved to Willow along with my kids, so it's hard to know if it's the school or the group of kids/parents making for the good experience. I will say that I have been very happy with Mr. Moyer (principal at Willow).

I don't know anyone who goes to Macungie Elementary, so I can't give an opinion there, but everyone I know who goes to Wescosville, Shoemaker and Willow seems fairly happy. There are also a few other Elementary schools in the district - Alburtis, Jefferson and Lincoln - I know families at Alburtis who are happy with the school, but don't know anyone who goes to Lincoln or Jefferson.

My biggest complaint about the district as a whole is overcrowding. Even with the new school, they did not hire more teachers, so class size is still an issue.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
I drove by Willow Lane for the first time today. That is a really nice school and campus.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 94,827 times
Default East Penn Elementary Schools

These are all excellent elementary schools. I really don't think you could go wrong with any one of them. Willow Lane is brand new and really nice. The principal and the teachers are very involved and caring (they are outside greeting the children everyday, rain or shine!) The class sizes really aren't even that large when you compare to other areas. We are relocating to the south in the fall and I am dealing with schools that are so overcrowded they utilize trailers for classrooms. However, they manage to be one of the best school districts in North Carolina with phenomenal scores and parent reviews. So, I don't put too much emphasis on class size as long as it is within reason. Anyway, best of luck with whatever school you choose! I'm sure you'll be happy with East Penn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley