Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 AM

837 posts, read 853,642 times

Advertisements

Let me add my two cents: I can see more benefits of having rail service in Alletown, as well as similar cities like Bethlehem, Easton, Reading, and Lancaster, with Phila ( the major city this side of PA ) being the hub, but it just seems like Harrisburg can't even get this thing rolling, no matter who's in office or who has control of the state house or the state senate, it seems like mass transit has always been placed on the backburner.

Even w/ growth inside the Lehigh Valley, the Poconos, and SE PA suburbs, the requests for mass transit always end up a whimper in Harrisburg because there's too much apathy within the rank and file of our politicians both state and local. Our peer states like NJ, NY, MA, and MD do a much better job w/ mass transit, and it's a damn shame since PA was the home to such railroads like the PRR, the Reading, and the LVRR, pioneers in their own right, but I guess our politicians would rather waste money on study after study proving that rail transit is a viable and much needed alternative, yet never find a way to get these projects on track, no pun intended???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 PM

16 posts, read 93,884 times
Well, I appreciate everyone for their comments.... I agree that rail transit should reach to the Lehigh Valley. But there is a problem! NOT MUCH FUNDING TO SUPPORT IT!.... With the economy the way it is I think we have a long way for this to actually happen. Yet what I stated was to see peoples reactions to what Ed Pawlosky did.... He destroyed bussinesses to make more bussinesses....If that makes any sence to anyone. The hochey arena was created to be built to not only revitallze the downtown district of Allentown but to create a good strategy for more bussinesses and jobs to help the economy in Allentown. It would be nice to have tall nice looking structures and I agree with you all... that that isn't the answer for a better Allentown. But Allentown needs new ideas,strategies and economic growth within the city not the outskirts of it. We need jobs closer to us not far away from us. Allentown needs to find a way to attract bussinesses in the city not outside of its borders. This would help the economy of the City of Allentown. It would probably lower taxes,better our school system, and make a better and safer Allentown to live in..... What do you say? Agree or Disagree?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth777 View Post
Well, I appreciate everyone for their comments.... I agree that rail transit should reach to the Lehigh Valley. But there is a problem! NOT MUCH FUNDING TO SUPPORT IT!....
I have thought very hard about this way, and I hope you will stay with my comments.

If you lived in Clinton, NJ, and you wanted to get on the Annandale stop (2nd to last) to ride into , the first train in the morning would be
(A) 5:57AM - 7:36AM (99 minutes) Clinton, NJ to Penn Station in NYC
If you want to ride Transbridge bus
(B) 6:00AM - 7:15AM (75 minutes) Clinton, NJ to Port Auth. Bus Term in NYC
---------------
If you live in Clinton you would have to make a list of pros and cons. Which terminal in NYC is closest to your destination? Which means of transportation costs more? Is the comfort of the train more important than the extra time? The train requires a 7 minute layover and a transfer in Newark's Penn station- What if I miss the train? Do you like to sleep on your commute which might lead you against the transfer? There are many more buses than trains, how important is it to have a flexibility [for instance there are four buses that leave before the first train]?
-----------------
If they make major improvements to NJ system as it stands right now with a new tunnel across the Hudson, or an extension of the NYC subway system then the decision to commute by bus or train from Clinton may tip overwhelmingly towards the train. But right now every plan for significant improvements has been rejected.
-----------------
It is senseless to extend the train system from Clinton to Phillipsburg, Easton, Bethlehem or Allentown unless the choice for the bus or train is overwhelming in favor of the train for passengers leaving from Clinton. The further you go, the more the argument goes in favor of buses.

In my opinion, it is much more likely scenario that NJtransit will cease service to Clinton, NJ and go back to terminating all the trains in Raritan, then the scenario that NJtransit will extend service to Phillipsburg.

So train service from NYC to the Lehigh Valley is not likely to happen in the next two decades.

As for service to Philadelphia, SEPTA has given up even applying for the money to extend service to outside of Quakertown and Coopersburg. They are only submitting applications for Lansdale to Perkasie. The fact that they feel that it is a waste of time and effort to even apply to get the money to come to the northern edge of Bucks county, means that you will never ever ever see service restored into the Lehigh County. It is actually worse than a waste of time since SEPTA believes that ridership would be so low, that their application will be rejected outright.

Resign yourself to bus service.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Allentown needs a job engine to survive. Trouble is there are no new job engines on the horizon in the USA. That ship has sailed.
A City cannot or should not survive by building prisons...which seems to be the only viable growth industry for the suburbs.

NYC has FINANCE and it extends outwards many many miles...but there is little else. A society cannot exist by borrowing money to trade houses between its members as the only "industry/"

Appalachia is encroaching on Allentown, from what I hear. (It has been a long while since I visited.)

p.s. When I was a child I thought NOTHING couuld ever be taller thqan the PP&L building...ROFL. And now even my humble apartment in Manhattan is higher up.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Direction of internal migration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Appalachia is encroaching on Allentown, from what I hear. (It has been a long while since I visited.)
It would probably be more accurate to say that the Bronx and Hudson County, NJ are encroaching on Allentown.

In the 1920 census the largest population of foreign born in Allentown were Hungarians, Austrians, Russian (which included Ukrainians), and Italians.

In the 1980 census an estimated 5% of the city of Allentown was Latino.

Look at some statistics for percent Latino in selected regions in the 2010 census.

28.8%- San Diego city
42.4%- Dallas city
42.8%- Allentown city PA
48.5%- Los Angeles city
58.2%- Reading dity PA
63.2%- San Antonio city

53.5%-Bronx borough, NY

I 78 corridor
42.2%- Hudson County, New Jersey
20.3%- Essex County, New Jersey
27.3%- Union County, New Jersey
13.0%- Somerset County, New Jersey
5.2%- Hunterdon County, New Jersey
7.0%- Warren County, New Jersey

37.0%-Passaic County, NJ on I 80 corridor

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Yes, people are not moving here from rural areas. Here's a cool map that shows people moving in and out of the area: Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here's a cool map that shows people moving in and out of the area
Pretty cool map. Man, Wayne county Michigan (home to Detroit) is a sea of red lines.

=====================
Here is an interesting bit of trivia:

The 2011 populations of the following three countries are:
Spain - 46,754,784
Colombia - 44,725,543
Argentina - 41,769,726

The Latino or Hispanic population of the USA in 2010 was 50,477,594 (not all of whom speak Spanish) . The population of Puerto Rico is 3,688,455 . There are between 5 and 6 million people who speak Spanish as a second language in America, who are not Latino, including students.

Looking over the data, the Cervantes Institute of Spain has now concluded that USA has become the second largest Spanish speaking nation on Earth.

The Cervantes Institute went on to say that they thought that the USA might become the largest country in 40-50 years. Since Mexico is supposed to peak at around 150 million people (from 114 million in 2011), I personally find that difficult to believe.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I have thought very hard about this way, and I hope you will stay with my comments.

If you lived in Clinton, NJ, and you wanted to get on the Annandale stop (2nd to last) to ride into , the first train in the morning would be
(A) 5:57AM - 7:36AM (99 minutes) Clinton, NJ to Penn Station in NYC
If you want to ride Transbridge bus
(B) 6:00AM - 7:15AM (75 minutes) Clinton, NJ to Port Auth. Bus Term in NYC
---------------
If you live in Clinton you would have to make a list of pros and cons. Which terminal in NYC is closest to your destination? Which means of transportation costs more? Is the comfort of the train more important than the extra time? The train requires a 7 minute layover and a transfer in Newark's Penn station- What if I miss the train? Do you like to sleep on your commute which might lead you against the transfer? There are many more buses than trains, how important is it to have a flexibility [for instance there are four buses that leave before the first train]?
-----------------
If they make major improvements to NJ system as it stands right now with a new tunnel across the Hudson, or an extension of the NYC subway system then the decision to commute by bus or train from Clinton may tip overwhelmingly towards the train. But right now every plan for significant improvements has been rejected.
-----------------
It is senseless to extend the train system from Clinton to Phillipsburg, Easton, Bethlehem or Allentown unless the choice for the bus or train is overwhelming in favor of the train for passengers leaving from Clinton. The further you go, the more the argument goes in favor of buses.

In my opinion, it is much more likely scenario that NJtransit will cease service to Clinton, NJ and go back to terminating all the trains in Raritan, then the scenario that NJtransit will extend service to Phillipsburg.

So train service from NYC to the Lehigh Valley is not likely to happen in the next two decades.

As for service to Philadelphia, SEPTA has given up even applying for the money to extend service to outside of Quakertown and Coopersburg. They are only submitting applications for Lansdale to Perkasie. The fact that they feel that it is a waste of time and effort to even apply to get the money to come to the northern edge of Bucks county, means that you will never ever ever see service restored into the Lehigh County. It is actually worse than a waste of time since SEPTA believes that ridership would be so low, that their application will be rejected outright.

Resign yourself to bus service.
NJT hopes to have service to Philpsburg along 2 or 3 lines by 2025 and Septa to Quakertown or Allentown by 2035 / 2040. The Support on the Jersey side has always been there , but NJT's support has shifted around and the Western network up intill 5 years ago was ignored. The Lackawanna line is currently under construction and will take 15 years to get built (2 Phases) ...the Jersey side should be restored by 2016....PA is lacking the funds atm. Service along the rest of the Western Network is waiting for a review to be completed again , Ridership will be anywhere from 15-30,000 for the 2 lines proposed.

The New Tunnel for Amtrak / NJT is starting to pick up thanks to the Feds , the Subway is unlikely for numerous reasons. Its next to impossible to miss your connecting train at Newark Penn , since they use the same track....the RVL train goes ahead of the New York Train... There are many capacity and speed upgrades underway to improve the system... There are also longer lines currently then anything planned and there used by a decent amount , so the whole Bus vs Train argument is useless.....

Septa has not given up on the Lehigh Valley , but its now on the bottom of the list. Septa is backed up with alot of projects so the Lehigh Valley isn't on the top.... But Ridership is somewhat there....funding is not... The Political powers of PA want a few lines completed before Septa can even restore its Urban network.... So unless you live in West Chester , Parkersburg , Newton or Reading your line is on hold. The good thing about Septa vs NJT the costs are lower , even for NJT and the rarely increase.... The whole Septa Regional Rail long term plan only costs 5 Billion and that's electrified , compare that to the 8 - 14 Billion for NJT...

Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The whole Septa Regional Rail long term plan only costs 5 Billion and that's electrified , compare that to the 8 - 14 Billion for NJT...
That $8-$14 billion for NJT, does that include new tunnels under the Hudson? Because I was thinking that would be about $6 billion on that part alone.

Another 15 years to restore train service to Phillipsburg. That is less than 20 miles from Clinton. It is kind of hard to find that exciting since they had that when I was young.

I like the idea to use wind power and turbines in Jersey barriers to power a light rail line.
The New Jersey Barrier | Metropolis Magazine

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-15-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
That $8-$14 billion for NJT, does that include new tunnels under the Hudson? Because I was thinking that would be about $6 billion on that part alone.

Another 15 years to restore train service to Phillipsburg. That is less than 20 miles from Clinton. It is kind of hard to find that exciting since they had that when I was young.

I like the idea to use wind power and turbines in Jersey barriers to power a light rail line.
The New Jersey Barrier | Metropolis Magazine
No , but it includes all the Regional Rail , Light Rail , PATH , and PATCO expansions and extensions... The New Tunnels and Station in NYC will cost 13 Billion , its a plan that leaves room for a future extension to Grand Central Terminal as part of the High Speed Rail / Intercity - 2040 plan. NJT over the past 15 years has focused on building up and connecting the regional rail system in Urban Jersey .... Now there done with the major links for now , so the Regional Rail will get the spot light. The Lackawanna line is the first of many projects to get restored... While they haven't restored any lines yet , they prepared the system for the flood of restorations... They have purchased 329 double decker trains , with 100 more on the way to handle the future ridership from the MOM Rail network and Existing lines.. They have replaced most of the signals on the older lines and upgraded the Major stations and secondary stations... They have order 36 Dual locos that will be used to bridge the gap on the Diesel lines , so people can have a one seat ride into in NYC from the Raritan Valley line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley