U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 PM

26 posts, read 38,309 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me information about Walnutport as far as safety goes and if it is a desirable place to live in. I am looking for a quiet peaceful town.

Please tell me the pros and cons of this area.

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,422 times
The whole Walnutport area is sucks. Not a good place to live. You have a lot of riff raff in the whole area.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 AM

Thank you so much Boiled!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM

13,008 posts, read 30,731,924 times
Wish I could help AutumnSunset, but I've never been up to Walnutport. I love small towns but one thing that I've found is it does take awhile for people to warm up to new residents unless you really jump right in and become active in the community. It's a little easier in places like Coopersburg, where I live, and Macungie and the towns surrounding the Lehigh Valley cities because people are always moving in and out. I would also guess that winters are going to seem longer since it's in such an isolated area. You can check out the historical weather here: History : Weather Underground

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Hi Toobusytoday,

Thank you for responding. You actually did help. I actually like it if the area is isolated. I am looking for remote and rural. The house I did look at is in Lehigh Township, not Walnutport. There was a bit of confusion on my behalf because of the way it is listed. It is in Lehigh Twp but falls under the Walnutport post office I believe. Do you know anything about Lehigh Township?

Thank you!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 30,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSunset View Post
Hi Toobusytoday,

Thank you for responding. You actually did help. I actually like it if the area is isolated. I am looking for remote and rural. The house I did look at is in Lehigh Township, not Walnutport. There was a bit of confusion on my behalf because of the way it is listed. It is in Lehigh Twp but falls under the Walnutport post office I believe. Do you know anything about Lehigh Township?

Thank you!

I live in Lehigh Township near Cherryville and love it. It is one of the few areas in the valley that feels open and not overwhelmed with too much development or traffic. One of the drawbacks though, depending on where you are looking is that it can take a bit to get to some better stores for shopping. I would say the township in general is conservative, older and slower paced. Another item to consider is that the Northampton School District taxes are high for what I consider just an "OK" school system. The towns of Walnutport and Slatington feel kind of depressed with Walnutport being the nicer borough. There are many little villages such as Berlinsville, Danielsville and Pennsville scattered around. Highlights include, Lehigh Township fair at the Cherryville fire company, Becky's drive-in. The Appalacian trail along Blue Mountain, Some covered bridges here and there, Blue Mountain ski area, a bunch of rail trails, the Lehigh river for boating, and some real nice scenary all around.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 PM

Reznix,

Thank you so much for responding.

The house I am looking at is closer to Danielsville than Cherryville (I thought the town Cherryville sounded nice when I heard of it). Cherryville is about 2.5 miles away and Danielsville is about .8 of a mile away. I think the house I am looking at is more towards the outskirts of Walnutport. I am trying to find a middle class area so your feed back is important to me. With that- meaning middle to upper class rather than middle to lower class.

I don't have children so I haven't looked into the school systems. I know that is important to buyers with kids. And also important if thinking of reselling down the road among other things as well.

Any other information you may have or others could give me would be great!

Thanks again.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 30,254 times
Here is some general information on Lehigh Township: Lehigh Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The area is primarily lower-middle class with pockets of upper-middle class in the newer developments. There is no real industry which is the reason for high taxes. I meantion this not only for those with children, but for those without because you are going to be paying for a service you won't be using. In general you can get a bigger house with more land than Parkland or East Penn. The lots overall are usually an acre or more. There are quite a few mobile home parks scattered around and the most popular home seems to be the ranch style.

The villages thorughout the township are really just denser clusters of homes with maybe a place to eat and a gas station. If you are looking for more upscale things to do, such as fine dining or shopping, you will probably need to drive outside the area. I go to Walnutport, Northampton or Whitehall for general food shopping. It is easy to go to Allentown via route 145 or Bethlehem via route 946, 512 or 248. The hardest areas to get to in any kind of speedy manner are Trexlertown/Macungie or Saucon Valley because it's usually all back roads unless you like busy Whitehall or the ususally backed up highway, 22. If you are near Danielsville, your drive will be a little more to get to things.

As for crime, I would say it seems to be mostly domestic types or general vandalism. I grew up in the township and we never had a problem with crime and I feel very safe now as well. The township has it's own police force but I'm not sure how many active duty officers there are at one time. I have seem them drive around and they will stop and chat with you if you wave. The municipal services seem pretty good as the snow plows are usually out early and often. Garbage service is your responsibility to find a hauler. Phone/TV/Internet is either RCN, Service Electric, or Penteledata depending on your location. PP&L is the Electric provider and there is no natural gas infrastructure - propane tanks are the only option. Sewer and water are usually Septic and a well.

I feel living in Lehigh Township is like living in the country when you want to get away from the rush of Whitehall, Allentown, or Upper/Lower Macungie. It is peaceful and there are some nice scenic drives along Blue Mountain east to Nazareth or west past Slatington.

Towns within a short distance that have things to do include:
-Northampton has craft fairs and street festivals and a canal park.
-Walnutport has a carnival and events at the fire hall and a nice canal park.
-Slatington has some events.
-Cementon, Catasaqua, Coplay, Hokendauqua are close and have some nice things to do.
-Palmerton is close pretty close, though I don't recommend their hospital.
-Nazareth is kind of close and nice.

In my opinion, the worst towns in the area are Slatington and Bath. They seem to have more trouble with crime than other local areas.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I hope the above was helpful.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Hi Reznix,

I hope you had a good weekend and 4th of July!

Thank you so much for the above information and your time to answer my post. I have been going over all that you said. On my next trip to Pa I need to spend more time going into the villages and seeing what is there- although I don't mind being in a remote location- I need to get a general idea about the towns and get a feel for the area. I am taking into consideration all the information that you gave me.

Thank you again!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,829 times
It looks like a good bet of me relocating to Lehigh Twp. Going along rt 145 was interesting.Enough commercial stores to keep me busy.When "reznix" said a few years ago how rt.22 was often clogged up, the person knows what I recently encountered.
I thought it was a traffic accident,but now I know what to expect (and dread ).Oh well,the general area looks like it still has some
very good characteristics so I guess one has to take the good with the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley