U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,328 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple around age 30, no kids yet but probably within a few years. I am looking to move into the area because I may be taking a job at Lehigh Valley Hospital. As long as my commute is around 30 minutes, I am happy.

We are looking for a fun, safe area. Something with nice restaurants and a little bit of nightlife - an interesting area with some culture. Would also be good to be in a good school district. We will most likely rent at first, eventually buying in the area we feel comfortable. We will not be moving until around January 2012, but will begin really looking now.

Any ideas of where to go? We could also live in Bucks and commute - Quakertown, etc...

What are the neighborhoods like?

When are you moving? Jan 2012
Where are you coming from? Northeast Philadelphia
Why are you moving? Job at LHV hospital
Where will you be working? LHV hospital
Have you been here yet? Yes but not sure of the area

Will you buy or rent? Rent for a year, then buy if the area suits our needs
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House - not sure of what we will be able to afford in a year, maybe 400-450k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? House or Townhouse (Max $1500)
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Doesn't matter

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, no children
Do you have pets? no, but may get a dog at some point
Do you want or need a yard? YES
Are you keeping a car? yes - 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Mix of the 2 - more on the activity side

What do you want to be closest to? (Rated in order of preferance)
1 Work
2. Nightlife
4. Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
3 Shopping
5 Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Doesn't matter so long as crime is relatively low, and people are nice.

Phillies or Mets? Phillies!!

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by thedude1980; 07-07-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM

12,879 posts, read 29,581,930 times
I think the town that would be perfect for you is Doylestown, which, unfortunately, is not a 30 minute commute. See, you can have nightlife in Bethlehem and a great downtown, but not good schools. You can have good schools and shopping in Southern Lehigh (Center Valley and Coopersburg), but not really much of a nightlife. Emmaus has good schools, a nice downtown, but not much in the way of culture.

If closeness to work is #1, then Emmaus would be a good fit and it does have basic services and a little bit of a night life.

BTW - there is no rail service in the Lehigh Valley

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,908,660 times
I agree with tbt, but I would like to add that historic Bethlehem will be perfect for you. If you plan on having kids in the future, you could move to a suburban LHV school district or stay in Bethlehem if you can afford private school.
Although Bethlehem SD isn't terrible for a city school district.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,328 times
Thanks for the replies! Gonna go up and check out some places in the coming weekends

Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM

45 posts, read 99,336 times
Dear Dude:

I have lived in the LV for over 20 years and still go back to Philly to visit family and shop for my ethnic (Polish) foods in Port Richmond. I am from Holmesburg.

I got to LVH for medical treatment on a regular basis.

I would definitely check out Bethlehem as a place to live. I love visiting the area around the downtown area where Central Moravian Church is located. There are a selection of beautiful homes just up the hill from there. There is a lot of cultural things going on (in Bethlehem) at the Zoellner Art Center located at Lehigh U; just a stone's throw. Don't miss the State Theatre in downtown Easton for all the shows and class acts that pass this way. You will appreciate events like Mayfair (passed in May) and the five day event (can't remember the name of it) that occurs around Labor Day in downtown Bethlehem. The culture has a different feel here, definitely very German feeling, especially the names whereas Philly is a hodgepodge of culture. I like it here and I woudn't move back to Philly but I love to visit! BTW, LVH is tops in my book for medical treatment. I can't recomend it highly enough.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,781,928 times
are there good private or parochial schools that people send their kids to?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

12,879 posts, read 29,581,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
are there good private or parochial schools that people send their kids to?
Do you want information about the Lehigh Valley or just Bethlehem? For the private schools, parents often send their kids out of their school district. The two best non-parochial privates are probably Moravian Academy k-12 (Bethlehem) and The Swain School k-8 (Allentown). There are also parochial schools and Charter schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-11-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 PM

4,123 posts, read 8,016,245 times
Moving from Philadelphia to Bethlehem is not considered by me and others a major move. Try moving from Philadelphia to Chicago. That's a move. Otherwise you are talking about 60 miles!

Old 07-17-2011, 01:31 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,781,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Do you want information about the Lehigh Valley or just Bethlehem? For the private schools, parents often send their kids out of their school district. The two best non-parochial privates are probably Moravian Academy k-12 (Bethlehem) and The Swain School k-8 (Allentown). There are also parochial schools and Charter schools.
mainly bethlehem but increasing my overall.knowledge of lhv isnt a bad thing if you wish. i only wish there were train service to philly...otherwise weve been pleasantly surprised with bethlehem. are there puerto rican neighborhoods? we noticed a pr private club on the southside after leavong the interesting levitt pavilion ay steel stacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley