Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 13,830 times

Advertisements

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to spend time with friends in Honesdale, PA and my family and I have become fond of the area. We would love to live there but a good job would be necessary and Scranton hasn’t much to offer in the IT field.

Allentown has quit a few opportunity’s, but is just too far a commute from Honesdale. So I was wondering if any of you know of any towns within 30 to 40 minutes commute to Allentown that has a similar charm.

Thanks in Advance,
Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,778,212 times
The first town that comes to mind is Jim Thorpe, in Carbon County, about 30 miles from Allentown.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:03 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,405,406 times
I ditto Jim Thorpe, which is within a commutable range to the Lehigh Valley via I-476. Here's a photo tour I snapped of this picturesque community to help you envision what is often called the "Switzerland of Pennsylvania."

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html

Emmaus, a suburb of Allentown, made Money Magazine's "Best Places to Live" list for 2007, but it doesn't pack the same quaintness or charm that Honesdale and Jim Thorpe possess, in my humble opinion.

Another community you might want to consider is the downtown area of Historic Bethlehem, the next city east of Allentown. It's a relatively-large city (about the same size as Scranton), but the downtown area and the surrounding residential neighborhoods made me swoon and drool as an aficionado of historic architecture. Here's my photo tour of Historic Bethlehem:

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...hoto-tour.html

Lehighton and Palmerton are easier commutes to Allentown than Jim Thorpe would be, but these two towns are rather ugly, sleepy, and depressed-looking former mining towns as compared to Jim Thorpe (in my humble opinion).

Best of luck to you! For what it's worth, my father is in the I/T field here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and there are major employers here such as MetLife, Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals, CIGNA HealthCare, Prudential Financial, etc. that might consider you for employment if you forward your resume to them. My father works at CONVERGYS in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, which is within walking distance to other white-collar employers such as Pepperjam, Guard Insurance, and Solid Cactus. The high-tech sector around here isn't booming by any means, but you might get lucky, especially with Pepperjam, which is growing by leaps and bounds. On the downside though is that Wilkes-Barre seems to be hotter for I/T opportunities than Scranton, and Wilkes-Barre is about an hour commute from Honesdale.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,926,512 times
Another town that comes to mind in the other direction is Kutztown - beautiful old homes in many parts and a nice walkable downtown.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 13,830 times
Everyone thank you for the comments.

I have been to both Jim Thorp and Kutztown and found both to be nice but I was just passing through. I will have to make an effort to spend more time in these towns to get a better feel for the area.

ScrantonWilkesbarre your picture tours are fantastic. Your comments on the Scranton area job market are appreciated and have given me incentive to perform a more diligent search there. I had only searched online and that obviously isn’t telling the whole story, also I failed to notice that Wilkes-Barre was double the commute from Honesdale. It’s funny for some reason I always just considered Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to be the same.

Cheers,
Rick

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM

414 posts, read 1,775,559 times
I haven't been to Hellertown in years (due south of Allentown) but back then it struck me as a very attractive place.......or go a tad bit further south into upper Bucks County...filled with rural charm/ small communities.....Ottsville, Upper Black Eddy, etc.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,775,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
I haven't been to Hellertown in years (due south of Allentown) but back then it struck me as a very attractive place.......or go a tad bit further south into upper Bucks County...filled with rural charm/ small communities.....Ottsville, Upper Black Eddy, etc.
Self correction:

Hellertown is south of Bethlehem, not Allentown.
Even better........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley