U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,316 times

Advertisements

How bad is it really? I'm moving to the Allentown area soon and all I hear about high school wise is Parkland or Emmaus High School? I have seen the data, test score wise but I would like to know real-life experiences. Just some background: My daughter is going into the 9th grade and she's white. She has always went to racially diverse schools (and I'd rather have it that way) but I don't want her to be one of the only white kids there. The way people talk it's like some sort of war zone there. Just looking for some real life experiences..please don't take any offense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM

13,001 posts, read 30,545,201 times
Not an Allen parent but I know teachers and an administrator that work there or used to work there, and I've heard it's pretty darn rough. I wish you and your daughter the best, but if you have another choice, I would go with that instead.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 8,316 times
Thanks for the feedback. In looking for places to rent I have found some pretty nice homes in what looks like nice neighborhoods but just in the Allentown school district. I'm leaning towards Emmaus High School but was just curious if it really is as bad as people say. I'm originally from Baltimore City and went to city schools so many years ago. I'm sure people would have classified them as bad and rough at the time but I had good experiences and enjoyed it a lot. However, I know times have changed and now people no longer fight with fists and drugs are a major factor also. I was just curious.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 AM

377 posts, read 614,522 times
I went to Allen High School about 19 years ago (GASP!) lol and it was starting to get bad THEN. My parents actually moved us to another school district to finish my high school years.
Then, my step-daughter went to Allen about 7 years ago. She lasted briefly and then threatened to drop out or be moved to East Penn with us. The problem is not only is the school violent and racially charged and whatever but they have a serious lack of funding. The kids there were not even given their own books for class! They had to share.
Stick with East Penn or Parkland or one of the smaller surrounding schools - whitehall, etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 10,434 times
i wish i had joined this site earlier and saw this post.My god i wish I could have told you DONT DO IT!!!! My son returned to Allen High school in March of last year on the honor role. Within 6 weeks he was failing everything and by Septemer of 2011 had skipped every class and became an active member of a local gang............... he was raised in love and positive morals but couldnt resist the peer pressure of the kids that have turned our schools into sewers. The allentown school district has lost control of their students.I barged into the acting principal office and demanded they take the control back,withdrew my child and said hed be back to "up"their test scores when they stop being afraid of children and regain control that should never have been lost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley