Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 6,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I will be moving to the area to work at DeSales University. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on good places to live nearby that are safe (I am a single female of rather small stature!) and affordable. I would prefer to be south or east of Center Valley as most of my friends are living in the Philadelphia area, but if there aren't good options then I am open to anything. I'm not particularly fond of having to drive roads that can be tricky once winter arrives since my car isn't 4 wheel drive.

I've heard here and there that Coopersburg is a nice area... can anyone confirm? Quakertown?

When are you moving? within a month
Where are you coming from? Mainline area (because of college)
Why are you moving? job
Where will you be working? DeSales University
Have you been here yet? Yes, but just for interviews

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I will consider anything within my price range. I'm hoping to spend less than $750 if feasible.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? No preference

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Don't need one, wouldn't mind one but wouldn't be devastated without one
Are you keeping a car? Yes (so safe places to park my car would be great)
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No preference

Phillies or Mets? No preference!

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I live just outside of Coopersburg. It's a great area to live if you like small towns. There is really no bad area in Center Valley or Coopersburg, and I would suggest that you try to find something in either area while you get settled. There are some links to rentals in the sticky at the top. You would be looking for Southern Lehigh School district, which is the town of Coopersburg, and the townships of Upper Saucon and Lower Milford.

You could also look at nearby Hellertown and the township of Lower Saucon which is Saucon Valley school district. Often, rentals are not listed, you'll just see a sign stuck in front of house saying it's for rent. Welcome to the area!

If you stop by the SL public library, which is just adjacent to DeSales, they have an area guide with map at the front desk. Just ask for it. http://www.solehipl.org/index.php

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Thank you! I've only found a few postings on Craigslist but I will be back in the area later this week so I will drive around and look for rental signs, and then stop by the library!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Coopersburg is very small and very "white". Last census 2,386 people with 84 latinos and 67 people in all other minorities combined. But you are only 2 miles from work, and you could probably take a bicicyle.

Emmaus has a population of only 14,808 and will take your commute up to about 10 miles, but there will be more places to go out.

High end shopping and dining at The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-08-2011 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: new posters cannot post links

Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice! I actually moved last week so I am in the Walnut Bank Farms complex in Quakertown. So far so good!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Good to hear that you found a place so quickly! DeSales is a great little college and I hope that you will be happy there. Make sure you take the time to go to the theater productions. The next one coming up is Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat and I'm really looking forward to it. The shows often sell out.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Default McCoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuemployee View Post
Thanks for the advice! I actually moved last week so I am in the Walnut Bank Farms complex in Quakertown. So far so good!

Try the burgers at McCoole's at the Historic Red Lion Inn. It's a little over a mile from your new home (4 S Main St.).

You can catch the Bieber bus to 30th street station if you don't want to drive
Top Star Exxon 2040 Rt 663, Quakertown, PA 215-538-9084
Travel time is 55-80 minutes depending on time of day.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Great choice! McCoole's McCoole's at the Historic Red Lion Inn - Restaurant and Bar in Quakertown, PA is a neat place but if you splurge to go out, I would go for something like the salmon or crab cakes. There's a Five guys burgers and fries over in the Kohls shopping center that has great burgers. I think it's officially called Trainers corner, but I never think of it as that.

Not sure if you are much of a reader, dsuemployee, but Quakertown has a great library on Mill road across from the park. They also have e-books for downloading onto an e-reader.

Realtors, See This.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Great choice! McCoole's McCoole's at the Historic Red Lion Inn - Restaurant and Bar in Quakertown, PA is a neat place but if you splurge to go out, I would go for something like the salmon or crab cakes. There's a Five guys burgers and fries over in the Kohls shopping center that has great burgers. I think it's officially called Trainers corner, but I never think of it as that.

Not sure if you are much of a reader, dsuemployee, but Quakertown has a great library on Mill road across from the park. They also have e-books for downloading onto an e-reader.

Realtors, See This.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the tips! I am still learning about the area but I think I know the shopping along 309 like the back of my hand :-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley