Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 AM

63 posts, read 143,340 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I moved to Bethlehem, pa (hanover township) 4 years ago, with the understanding that his business would also relocate, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to move because of his commute. He travels to Newark, NJ. I hate him on 78. He told me 2 months ago, moving the business to PA is not going to happen now. He likes it here, but I don't think I do. Now I feel bad if I make him go back, yet it's kind of his fault that he didn't move his business, or count the cost of it before he moved us out here. Our taxes are 7,000 for a 4 year old 2900 colonial (more house than we need). The gas alone comes to around 400 a month for a toyota rav 4. I know you get more house for your money here, but if you factor in the commute costs, the 10 hours a week added onto your work week....I just don't think it worth it. If you want a bigger house, than yes PA is cheaper than NJ, but in my opinion the taxes on homes is a wash if you add in the time and cost of a commute. I'm not sure I really like it here. It's far from the NJ shore and I feel it's a little more remote than I would like. We lived in the same town in NJ for our whole lives before coming here, and I just feel I have no roots or connection to the area. Expect for the fact my sister lives behind me, I'm thinking of returning back to NJ. Any advice? Has anyone moved here and regretted it? How can I be sure if I like it here or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr908 View Post
Now I feel bad if I make him go back, yet it's kind of his fault that he didn't move his business, or count the cost of it before he moved us out here. Our taxes are 7,000 for a 4 year old 2900 colonial (more house than we need). ...
Any advice? Has anyone moved here and regretted it? How can I be sure if I like it here or not?
Hypothetically if you paid $440K for the house in 2007 you will probably only get $360K today. So that is a loss of $80K + cost of selling the house + cost of purchasing a new one.
For $350K you can purchase a 90 year old house (renovated and in good condition: 3 bedrooms and 3 baths) within walking distance of the Raritan train station in Somerset NJ, that would allow your husband a 60 minute train ride to Newark Penn Station. You could get rid of your commuting car entirely and save a major expense. But the house at 1750 square feet is much smaller than your present home.

While you could probably juggle the numbers for every day expenses (lower commuting cost, higher tax rate, smaller house, etc.) you will have to take a bath on the drop in real estate prices.

You might trying to lower commuting costs by ride sharing.

Bus service to Newark is limited to the Newark airport. Doing a ride share to Clinton, NJ, and then taking the NJTransit train into Newark is a possibility, but won't save you much money. Just some of the headaches of driving.

The train 5710 leaves ANNANDALE station (near I 78) at 5:57 AM and is 73 minutes to NEWARK PENN STATION. If he can't walk from the train station, then he should forget it. You still have to get the 25 miles from your house to ANNANDALE station.

It may be his "fault" in many ways, but you have to be careful about resentment over these decisions. Sometimes people have to make big decisions based only on the way they think things will work out. He is suffering as well with a long commute. It isn't so awful a place to live that it is worth spoiling your marriage.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-05-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I've never lived close to family in my life so I don't know what that's like. We moved here 14 years ago and love it. I guess I feel that wherever my husband and our kids live is my home, not where my parents live.

If your husband hates the commute then I don't see a reason to stay. We moved around a lot, but my attitude was to find what I liked in the new place, concentrate on getting involved in the community and making friends. I think it's a waste of time to think about what might have been. I hope you will be happy wherever you end up.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Default Reading your message again

Quote:
I'm not sure I really like it here. It's far from the NJ shore and I feel it's a little more remote than I would like. We lived in the same town in NJ for our whole lives before coming here, and I just feel I have no roots or connection to the area. Expect for the fact my sister lives behind me, I'm thinking of returning back to NJ.

Any advice? Has anyone moved here and regretted it? How can I be sure if I like it here or not?
Judy

I am reading your message again. You said your husband tried to relocate his business to PA. But am I to understand that both you, your husband and your sister (presumably with her husband) both moved from the same town in NJ to Hanover township in Bethlehem PA, bought back to back homes in a new development?

People don't normally get so homesick if they bring their family with them.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Judy, based on what you have written, I really feel you should look at moving back, and to your hometown, if possible. This area is definitely not for everyone. I am a "native" here and cannot imagine living near the NJ shore (but DH is from there and it was quite an adjustment moving to this area as a child).

I live in the LV but am closer to the Poconos. Over the past year, I know of five different families who have moved back, deciding that having a nicer house and lower taxes here just did not improve their lives enough to do that nasty commute day in and day out.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and if you are staying, please reach out to us on here, maybe we can help you feel more at "home" in the Lehigh Valley.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM

63 posts, read 143,340 times
Judy

I am reading your message again. You said your husband tried to relocate his business to PA. But am I to understand that both you, your husband and your sister (presumably with her husband) both moved from the same town in NJ to Hanover township in Bethlehem PA, bought back to back homes in a new development?

People don't normally get so homesick if they bring their family with them.

I know!! I don't get why I'm having such a hard time with it. My sister's husband is retired and hunts and fishes and rides his quad. He fits right in. Were more the NY Yankee/Giants fans who don't do those things but spend there summers and weekends at the Jersey Shore. I wish I could just like it here,it would make things so much easier. It's been 4 years and I miss the roots that we had in NJ. We lived there our whole lives and never went away to college, etc. I really didn't think the adjustment would be so hard. Personally, our taxes are 7,000 and if you consider the 400 commute a month, it makes NJ taxes look good! The only thing that keep me here is my sister and her girls, who I would miss so much. I'm in such a tough spot and I daily try to make myself like it by being thankful for everything I/we have.

judy

Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Personally, our taxes are 7,000 and if you consider the 400 commute a month, it makes NJ taxes look good! The only thing that keep me here is my sister and her girls, who I would miss so much. I'm in such a tough spot and I daily try to make myself like it by being thankful for everything I/we have.
judy
You basically traded $3K in lower taxes for an additional $3K in gasoline. But you undoubtedly have a much newer home in PA for less money than your house in NJ. If a home is 50 years newer, it is much less likely to run into expensive maintenance problems.

The problem with moving back is that your home in Hanover Township probably lost 20% of it's value since you bought it, and the home you sold in NJ has lost little or no value. Unless you have other sources of money, you must radically downsize to go back to NJ.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 AM

Default congratulations

Quote:
Judy

Congratulations on selling your home. Are you moving back to New Jersey?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Just read this //www.city-data.com/forum/28362443-post1.html

Quote:
Anyone familiar with area of South Plainfield Near Delekas Ave?
Well peeps.......we sold our PA home in 2 days, by the grace of God, and are now headed back to beloved NJ. Looking at a home on Delekas off Tompkin. Is this an okay part of town? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 AM

Living proof that moving to a cheaper area can be hazardous to your happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley