Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

It's my understanding that the average Wegman's grocery store has $70 million in revenue versus a nationwide average for grocery stores closer to $16 million.

Predictions are generally high for growth in prepared food all across the industry, as supermarkets successfully compete with fast food, and "fast casual" restaurants for consumers.

I understand that when these Wegmans were built in the Lehigh Valley (about 12 years ago) there was widespread predictions that many of the local grocers would close. Since that doesn't seem to have happened, I must assume that they are making most of their business from money that would have otherwise been spent in local restaurants.

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of their sales are in prepared foods, and beverages like beer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I remember reading a long time ago that the avg. profit margin for grocery stores is something like 1 - 1 1/2%. I'm guessing that the mark-up for those prepared meals is a lot more. I think people buy more convenience foods (like rotisserie chicken) then they ever did, and I think people go out more. Personally, I used to buy rotisserie chickens occasionally but for the last two years, it's been our Monday night dinner. When chicken is on sale the savings of cooked and uncooked is minimal. Wegmans changed the game in this area forcing the other grocery chains to also offer to-go meals, and better cheeses and meats. I think it's a good competition.

I go to Wegman's pretty often after church and the prepared food area is always jam packed - but then again, so are the parking lots at the local not-quite-fast-food restaurants. The Weis-Kings closest to the Tilghman Ave. Wegman's is also very busy, but not so much in the prepared food section.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I remember reading a long time ago that the avg. profit margin for grocery stores is something like 1 - 1 1/2%.
I think that was true 30 years ago when grocery stores were much smaller and concentrated on essentials. Today you are just as likely to drive to a grocery store for pizza or fried chicken as you are to go to Pizza Hut or KFC.

A few chains that were once doing very well (like Quiznos) are going belly up, partly because of competition with supermarkets.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: copyrighted image

Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM

16 posts, read 30,329 times
Wegman's stores aren't in my region, but I first went to one in Syracuse three years ago, and more recently in the fall when I was in the Lehigh Valley area. I was quite impressed with both stores and look forward to shopping there. If their prepared foods are both tasty and reasonably healthy, I can imagine they might provide dinner once a week.

Speaking of restaurants, is there a good mix of local/chain restaurants there?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
Wegmans has the best produce, meat, fish and bakery! None of the supermarkets can compare. There is a reason I go there at 6 a.m. to do my holiday dinner shopping. Their carry out is awesome too. In addition, they have excellent customer service - free babysitting, carry out service, etc. - which is important to a lot of people.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM

138 posts, read 283,999 times
I've been impressed by the selection and pricing of organic produce at the renovated Giant that just opened in Trexlertown. They also have a good organic private label that covers lots of stuff, including frozen veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley