Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I hope this helps you. Clarks Summit is nice and I miss it sometimes, but the surrounding environs make it less desirable than the Lehigh Valley IMHO.
What??? The surrounding environs in NEPA are more desirable than the LV, in my opinion. Scranton is a safer and much more liveable city than Allentown any day of the week....the crime rates speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
I don't have (residential) skin in either place, but I worked for seven years in Allentown (commuting throughout the LV) and my husband's family is from Scranton and the surrounding area, so I know both pretty well. Scranton is a depressed area trying desperately to come up with ways to revive itself. The downtown mall and business district are not booming, by any means. Downtown Allentown, while more diverse, does have a crime problem -- however, it is thriving for its increasing Latino community. At least it's thriving. It may be that crime is less in Scranton because the people are not there. The West End of Allentown remains lovely, with virtually none of the crime of downtown A'town. The other places we've mentioned are quite safe and walkable.

Then you have Bethlehem, which has a lovely and growing downtown and South Side.

LV has much more to offer, IMHO.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM

55 posts, read 119,276 times
I live close to Clarks Summit, and I drive to Allentown weekly to take my son to therapies. I would move to Allentown in a heartbeat, and when I am ready to look for another job, Allentown will be my first choice! The Scranton area is definitely way behind times, not a whole lot to do in the area IMO. Allentown and the surrounding areas have so much to offer and a lot to keep the family busy. I have met a lot of people from that area and everyone just seems so much friendlier and happier in general. I have talked to people who have their kids in schools in the Allentown area and many are very happy, I have also heard good things about Parkland school district.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
A recent and still active thread you might find interesting.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ive-about.html

Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
What??? The surrounding environs in NEPA are more desirable than the LV, in my opinion. Scranton is a safer and much more liveable city than Allentown any day of the week....the crime rates speak for themselves.
How much of the "surrounding environs" have you seen of the LV? If you're just going by inner city Allentown, you're not getting even a small part of the picture.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
How much of the "surrounding environs" have you seen of the LV? If you're just going by inner city Allentown, you're not getting even a small part of the picture.

As far as surrounding suburban towns in both NEPA and LV, its about equal....both have their upper-middle-class areas and working class areas. The only real difference is the cities. And the Abingtons' proximity to Scranton, as opposed to Allentown, would make it more desirable if we're talking about surrounding environs.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftmasterk View Post
I live close to Clarks Summit, and I drive to Allentown weekly to take my son to therapies. I would move to Allentown in a heartbeat, and when I am ready to look for another job, Allentown will be my first choice! The Scranton area is definitely way behind times, not a whole lot to do in the area IMO. Allentown and the surrounding areas have so much to offer and a lot to keep the family busy. I have met a lot of people from that area and everyone just seems so much friendlier and happier in general. I have talked to people who have their kids in schools in the Allentown area and many are very happy, I have also heard good things about Parkland school district.
Name one thing that the Allentown area has for "things to do" that you can't do around Scranton. You can only go to the Crayola Factory so many times.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
The Crayola factory in Easton? That surely wouldn't be on my list. Does Scranton have a new arts complex? ArtsQuest ArtsQuest™ Center at SteelStacks™ How about Musikfest? Musikfest or Celtic Festival? Celtic Classic Festival | 2012 Bethlehem, PA | Celtic Cultural Alliance | Highland Games and Irish Music Festival Carriage rides at Christmas? Historic Bethlehem Partnership A drive through light show in a Park? Lights in the Parkway Or how about a vibrant downtown that has cafe's, coffeehouses and bookstores? City of Bethlehem Arts museums? http://www.allentownartmuseum.org/ (you might have that) How about a symphony? http://www.allentownsymphony.org/ (broken link) And we've got some nice shopping too...... http://www.thepromenadeshopsatsaucon...fm?storeid=225

It's pretty cool down here, maybe you should visit.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The Crayola factory in Easton? That surely wouldn't be on my list. Does Scranton have a new arts complex? ArtsQuest ArtsQuestâ„¢ Center at SteelStacksâ„¢ How about Musikfest? Musikfest or Celtic Festival? Celtic Classic Festival | 2012 Bethlehem, PA | Celtic Cultural Alliance | Highland Games and Irish Music Festival Carriage rides at Christmas? Historic Bethlehem Partnership A drive through light show in a Park? Lights in the Parkway Or how about a vibrant downtown that has cafe's, coffeehouses and bookstores? City of Bethlehem Arts museums? Expand Your World | Allentown Art Museum (you might have that) How about a symphony? Allentown Symphony Association > Home (http://www.allentownsymphony.org/ - broken link) And we've got some nice shopping too...... The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley Store Directory

It's pretty cool down here, maybe you should visit.
I didn't say there was nothing to do there or that Scranton had more to do than the Lehigh Valley, but I would probably overall consider NEPA and the LV to be fairly equal as far as things to do. Both areas have plenty of festivals, museums, parks, cafes, sports, concerts, shopping, symphonies, etc. My response was more to the person who said there was MORE to do there than in NEPA.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I didn't say there was nothing to do there or that Scranton had more to do than the Lehigh Valley, but I would probably overall consider NEPA and the LV to be fairly equal as far as things to do. Both areas have plenty of festivals, museums, parks, cafes, sports, concerts, shopping, symphonies, etc. My response was more to the person who said there was MORE to do there than in NEPA.
I'm only talking about my own opinion, having lived both places and experienced both environments for myself. The OP asked for opinions. I gave her mine. I prefer the LV to NEPA hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley