Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 AM

138 posts, read 283,965 times

Advertisements

At the end of March, we're hosting some family members for the weekend and need to feed 12 people for one night. I'm thinking I'll get the meal catered, but I'm not sure what my options are. There's the usual Italian places, e.g. Buca or Carrabba's, but I was wondering if y'all know of any other good options, like something Asian/Indian. I'm looking for good value and not too loaded with fat and calories. Bonus points for vegetarian options.

We're located in Emmaus, but I wouldn't mind driving to Bethlehem or whatnot if the food was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Twelve people? Any Chinese place would take care of that pretty easily. Indian though, that would be harder but isn't there an Indian place right on Main street in Emmaus near the Elephant's Trunk? Or is that just a store?

For catering in general, you've got Lee Gribbens right there in Emmaus - About Us - Lee Gribben's on Main

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM

210 posts, read 381,197 times
Wegman's provides catering. I wouldn't be surprised if they did not offer several vegan choices.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks, the Wegmans Asian options look like a good value.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Wow, I never would have guessed that Wegman's would come in as a good value. I always think they're pretty expensive when we do the buffet at lunch time. I'll have to check out their catering menu.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM

I suppose there's two facets to the "good value" - first, I'm comparing them against something like Buca di Beppo, where the baseline price for a catered non-meat entree is about $75. By contrast, Wegmans' "Vegetable Lo Mein party pan" is $20. Second, we're taking each vendor's word for it that the dish really does serve the number of people they say it does. If that lo mein party pan really does serve my 12 guests, it's a good value; if I get it home and it serves five, not so much. On the other hand, I could buy three lo mein party pans for less than the cost of one Buca "Spicy Rigatoni," so maybe it's still a good value regardless.

I think what I'll do is drop by Wegmans and get visual confirmation of how big these things are. I think the "party pans" are probably the same size as their buffet serving pans.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Can you report on what you find out? I like Wegman's food, just had lunch there today, and would be interested in this.

Realtors, See This.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM

210 posts, read 381,197 times
We used Wegman's several times for catering. The best part is if you have a list of stuff you need from the store, they will have it waiting with your entire order.
Most recently they catered my daughters birthday party. All the drinks, water, and juice boxes were nice and cold waiting in the refrigerator to be picked up.

They really are hard to beat for the overall quality, service, and value.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Checked out Wegman's Allentown and things looked good there. The "party pans" are indeed essentially the same as the pans in their buffet; however, the entrees come with an additional pan of rice. Cost: roughly $35. They also have large circular trays of appetizers for about $50.

Interestingly, the lo mein pan does not come with rice and costs $20. I think we'll get this one - after all, I can easily make a bunch of rice.

Also, the catering desk closes at 6pm and they want at least 48 hrs notice.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because we need to have another party catered and circumstances have changed:

1. We're expecting 20 people rather than 12.
2. The catering is being paid for by an employer, so there's less pressure to go cheap.
3. Wegman's apparently no longer offers their wokery options for catering.

So, again I ask - good catering choices that go beyond pasta and sliders? I'm looking for a place that will drop off the food with trays and sternos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley