Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
As those elderly citizens die off, there aren't younger people to replace them; hence a loss in population. People look at that loss of population and think "gee, maybe there's a reason people are leaving."
As the entire country gets older and older, places like Pennsylvania should stop growing at some point (except by migration). A total of 37 counties in PA were down from their peak population in 2010 and 30 counties peaked in 2010.

When I78 was finished in 1989 it was good for the Valley because now you could go to New York city in a straight shot. When 33 was completed in January 2002 it tied in the valley access to I78. Possibly the new bridge across the Lehigh may be the last major transit project.

No transit improvements for years. If there is no population increase, there is no need for new homes, new schools or even new stores. Geriatrics will clearly flourish.

When President Johnson signed Hart-Celler Immigration Bill on Oct. 3, 1965 it was estimated that 18 million legal immigrants came in the first 30 years. Lets assume another 25-30 million came in the next 17.5 years.

But as the immigrants stop coming (at least to the Northeast), and more and more of the country starts heading for Zero Population Growth, how will the economy adapt?

I realize that this conversation applies more to Western PA where only Butler County is now at it's peak population, but that is primarily people spreading out from Pittsburgh.

I have been asked to envision what this country would look like if we had not aborted 50 million babies, and instead took in 50 million immigrants.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-21-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM

143 posts, read 463,889 times
It is probably because so few residents of the Lehigh Valley know English anymore and how to use a PC. I have walked from 10 TH to the Allentown Post Office at 5 TH and Hamilton and back again and only heard English from the Postal Clerk.

One other time I heard English at 6 TH and Walnut and that was a Cop giving a person a ticket.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
PA Dutchman, I think you need to go out a bit more... I go to church in West Allentown many of whom live in Allentown, all speak English very well, own computers and are very nice people. I have heard more Spanish over the years when I go to some places more in Center City, but I'm okay with that. When my ancestors arrived in America a couple of hundred years ago they also didn't know English.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.Dutchman View Post
It is probably because so few residents of the Lehigh Valley know English anymore and how to use a PC. I have walked from 10 TH to the Allentown Post Office at 5 TH and Hamilton and back again and only heard English from the Postal Clerk.

One other time I heard English at 6 TH and Walnut and that was a Cop giving a person a ticket.

Well, I guess every forum on C-D has one of these guys. We were bound to get one here eventually.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
PA Dutchman is part of a dying breed. Uncultured, sitting at home, listening to Gunther, and watching Channel 69. You have been passed by. There is no room for you in the new Progressive Lehigh Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley