Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM

8 posts, read 119,850 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to PA. We are focusing our search in Easton, Bethlahem and allentown. My son will also be moving with us. We all work in NYC and will continue to do so until we can find employemnt closer to or in PA. We would love to know the best, safest, quiet and affordable places to live. we are considering a single family with a yard we do have a big dog, finish basement for my son and 2-3 bedrooms with a master bath. A master bath is important to me cause i am tired to sharing bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,338,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniforever View Post
My husband and I are relocating to PA. We are focusing our search in Easton, Bethlahem and allentown. My son will also be moving with us. We all work in NYC and will continue to do so until we can find employemnt closer to or in PA. We would love to know the best, safest, quiet and affordable places to live. we are considering a single family with a yard we do have a big dog, finish basement for my son and 2-3 bedrooms with a master bath. A master bath is important to me cause i am tired to sharing bathroom.
I think that you will have better luck in the Lehigh Valley sub-forum, just a suggestion

Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM

130 posts, read 250,916 times
Stay as far away from Allentown as you can. Have you visited Allentown? Quite dangerous area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triniforever View Post

Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM

When are you moving? between september -october
Where are you coming from? BROOKLYN NEW YORK
Why are you moving? TIRED OF CITY LIFE
Where will you be working? BRONX NEW YORK, HUSBAND STILL WORK IN QUEENS
Have you been here yet? YES WE VISIT FAMILY EVERY THANKSGIVING

Will you buy or rent? BUY
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? SINGLE FAMILY $175,000
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? MARRIED
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A OUR CHILDREN ARE GROWN
Do you have pets? YES/BIG DOGGY
Do you want or need a yard? YARD VERY IMPORTANT
Are you keeping a car?DONT HAVE ONE NOW BUT WILL BE GETTING ONE
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? CALM AND QUIET

What do you want to be closest to? EASY ACCESS TO HWY
Work MOST IMPORTANT
Shopping LEAST IMPORTANT
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) IMPORTANT
Nightlife NOT IMPORTANT
Near Bus stop? Please note that there is NO rail service in the Lehigh Valley.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? DIVERSE

Phillies or Mets? NOT A BASEBALL FAN, FOOTBALL YES EAGLES MY TEAM AND A BIG SOCCER FAN

Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Since you are planning to continue working in the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would suggest staying in a town outside of Easton for an easier commute. I'm not very familiar with that section of the LV so I hope another poster will add their two cents.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,365,603 times
You cant just lump all of Allentown into a single sentence stating " danger " and " Stay as far away " .

I live in South Allentown ( 18103 ) south of Emmaus Ave where the average home price is 168,000 dollars and because of it it is a extremely safe and beautiful neighborhood.

What about west Allentown? Very very safe and very clean with very large stately homes and mansions with an excellent school system.

To say Allentown is dangerous and to stay away is like telling people to stay away from Philly because it's dangerous.

It is best to define what areas of Allentown that are dangerous and what areas are not only safe but beautiful and thriving just like any large city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Stay as far away from Allentown as you can. Have you visited Allentown? Quite dangerous area.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,922,271 times
I would look to be in Bethlehem or Palmer Twps (area) as close to the park&ride WilliamPenn & PA33. The fare to NYC is ~$500/month (per person) to take the bus to Port Auth Bus in NYC, then you would need to subway it over to work. If you work off-peak you can drive, but you are looking at about 2h(each way) drive.

I would find job in PA 1st before you make the move. 175K is going to be tight to get a nice single family home with suburbia....

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Let's stick to comments about where the opening poster want to move please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

thank you so much we will take all the advise in to consideration its been helpful.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,874,075 times
Try something right off 78. Hellertown, Easton (maybe not if you want a good school district), Lower Nazareth (right off 33). I think Coopersburg/ Center Valley are a bit too far (and by that I mean will add 5-10 minutes on top of Hellertown/ Lower Nazareth.

I work in Jersey and am also looking for a house. Driving to NYC during rush hours will easily put you into the 2+ hours each way range. Have you looked in Hunterdon County or any part of Western Jersey (maybe rent until you get employment closer to the LV)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley