Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,223 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are looking into moving to PA from Long Island, NY. I would appreciate any feedback about good areas to live. Low crime, affordable rent, and great schools are high on our list. Thanks for your time!

When are you moving? within a year
Where are you coming from? Long Island, NY
Why are you moving? cost of living too high here
Where will you be working? hopefully within the area
Have you been here yet? on vacation 2 years ago
Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
prefer renting a house and would like to spend under 1200
Are you married or single? Do you have children? married with a 12 and 15 year old
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? a kitten
Do you want or need a yard? a yard is a must
Are you keeping a car? 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet most of the time
What do you want to be closest to? stores, schools, and work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
mydestiny - I think the most important question is where will you and/or your spouse be working. Commuting to Long Island would be near impossible (or at least not very smart) and it's hard to give advice on a place to live without a job location.

Without that piece of information, I can just say that all of the towns surrounding the Lehigh Valley citys of Allentown, Bethlehem or Easton are nice and have good schools. Getting a house under $1200 might be difficult.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Default PA is not Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydestinyinnny View Post
Are you married or single? Do you have children? married with a 12 and 15 year old
While PA is cheaper than Long Island, it is not Mexico. A house with a yard, 3 bedrooms, and 2 full (minimum) preferably 2.5 baths and parking for 2 cars in a nice neighborhood is going to cost more than $1200.

Try 508 N Fenwick St Allentown, PA 18109
They are renting a 3 bdr, 2.5 bath for $1100, but the lot is going to be 3000 sq ft.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 840 times
Id say look for places in bethlehem, right next to allentown and way nicer and lower crime rate then the national

Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM

138 posts, read 283,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
While PA is cheaper than Long Island, it is not Mexico. A house with a yard, 3 bedrooms, and 2 full (minimum) preferably 2.5 baths and parking for 2 cars in a nice neighborhood is going to cost more than $1200.
Yeah, we were looking for something similar last year and anything that didn't look really depressing to live in tended to come in around $1600. We ended up with a great place, but we still paid $1600.

Also, having a cat is going to really constrain your options. One tactic is to include places that say no pets and then ask the landlord in person. They often will make an exception.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

104 posts, read 189,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydestinyinnny View Post
Hi! My family and I are looking into moving to PA from Long Island, NY. I would appreciate any feedback about good areas to live. Low crime, affordable rent, and great schools are high on our list. Thanks for your time!

When are you moving? within a year
Where are you coming from? Long Island, NY
Why are you moving? cost of living too high here
Where will you be working? hopefully within the area
Have you been here yet? on vacation 2 years ago
Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? a kitten
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet most of the time
What do you want to be closest to? stores, schools, and work
Hi I just want to say everything you are looking for is a replica of what I'm looking for as well. I live in Maspeth, NY with my husband and our four small children. We are searching in Pittsburgh only because my husband's job is transferable and the company is in Pittsburgh. I wish you the best of luck and maybe we can help one another out.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-30-2012 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Please do not post e-mail addresses. Use the direct message feature or just post here! :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley