Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 120,520 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm in the market to rent a living space for my new teaching job at Kutztown University (see "New faculty at Kutztown University - finding a place to live" thread). I'm visiting Kutztown from July 18-20th and will need to sign a rental while we are here. As someone who has not rented in a while (we own our place), what should I look for that is a red flag? What are the do and don't for renting? In the past, I've lived in an apartment where the property management pretty much fixed and took care of everything. We are looking at a house this time and will most likely deal with a landlord (real person). I'd also appreciate advice for renting an apartment as well. I may have to do that should I not find a house that is acceptable.

I want to make sure that I avoid the common mistakes people do when renting. Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM

138 posts, read 283,946 times
In no particular order:

- This should almost go without saying, but when dealing with an individual, ensure there is a written lease, where the tenant and landlord have both signed both copies.
- Ensure that the tenant and landlord's respective responsibilities are spelled out in the lease. Who collects trash? Pays utilities? Mows the lawn? Cleans the gutters? Is there periodic pest spraying?
- If there are HOA or other recurring fees associated with the property, make sure the lease specifies who pays them.
- Be very clear about when the rent is due, when it's considered past due, and what forms of payment are accepted. Always use a form of payment that creates a paper trail.
- Try if possible to set clear expectations about how long the landlord has to fix a problem affecting livability once you report it.
- Ensure that the lease makes clear what happens to the security deposit, as well as when and subject to what conditions you should get it back after you move out.
- Look to see what would be grounds for eviction, specifically referring to odd clauses like no overnight guests or violating HOA rules.
- Look to see how much notice the landlord requires each year before the lease auto-renews. If it's something crazy like 90 days, try to bargain down to 60 or 30. If there's any likelihood in a given year that you won't renew, always keep the landlord in the loop.
- Get renter's insurance if you don't have it. It's really cheap.
- Make sure the property is up to code regarding smoke/CO detectors and make sure it's adequately lit outdoors.
- Make sure you get keys for the doors and the locks really work.
- Look to see what alterations are permitted. Can you paint? Can you hang art?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM

That is very helpful. Thanks alexiskai! Most of the places are looking at are half of twin home and is oil heat (for water heater as well).

In regards to paper trail form of payment, I would assume a check qualifies?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM

138 posts, read 283,946 times
Oil heat can be expensive, so think about the size of the house, quality of insulation, age of the boiler, etc. Ask the landlord how much previous tenants spent on heat - if they're not sure, press the issue, see if you can get them to contact the previous tenant and ask.

Check is fine but can be a pain. I much prefer to use my bank's bill pay function. The bank will print and mail the check automatically, usually at no cost to you - not even a stamp. On the other hand, with a personal check, online banking will often show you the scan of the deposited check.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Oil heating cost is a concern to me. I've been reading older threads on this forum regarding oil heat. I will ask the landlord about this. It would appear that oil heat is fairly common in this area, especially older homes.

I've never use to bank's bill pay function before, but I think this is the right situation to do so. Thanks!

Last edited by sooby77; 07-12-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley