Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennsylvaniaNativeGirl View Post
Allentown, PA has its good nieghborhoods and its bad ones.
A rough estimate of the nature of the neighborhood is the density.
The zip codes 18101 and 18102 together are equal in area roughly to a circle of radius 1 mile.

These center city zip codes have more people than the 18103 and 18104 zip codes which individually are 8 to 9 times as much area as 18102.

Population of Allentown Zip Codes
18101: 3,897 - Hamilton Street Area
18102:49,779 - Center City
18103:45,336 - South Allentown
18104:43,236 - West Allentown
18105:12 - PO Boxes
18106: 6,889 - West of city to route 100
18109:16,932 - East Allentown and airport
Total: 166,081 (41% larger than the city of Allentown proper)

Population of Bethlehem Zip Codes
18015:32,832
18017:37,549
18018:32,413
18020:20,447
Total: 123,241 (64% larger than the city of Bethlehem proper)
This total includes most of Hellertown, Freemansburg, Lower Saucon, Bethlehem and Hanover Township

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-17-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,412 times
Hello, I was curious to see what people had to say about different parts of PA, including Allentown. I have to say that I am a home buyer who is in contract for a a brand new home in Upper Macungie, a suburb of Allentown. Frankly, this suburb has the best of both worlds as it has a nationally renowned school district (Parkland), outdoor activities nearby, stores to go to to buy just about everything (Target, HomeGoods, Ikea, etc.), all within 10 mins drive. Also, it's a safe area and close commute to Interstate 78, NYC, NJ, and other big cities. So I think that depending on what a person's preference is, they can find a good balance of safety, beautiful and well-maintained homes, and great schools, and more in the suburbs of Allentown.

I am a New Yorker, and I decided to purchase in PA because the taxes are much lower than the suburbs of NYS. Taxes in the suburbs of NYS where I owned a home can climb north of $15k and much higher in certain areas. Also, one gets a lot more house for their money, and it has the nature setting and close proximity to things that my family and I like. So I feel I'm getting the best of both worlds moving to the Upper Macungie area!! Along with that, the complex that I'm buying in is absolutely beautiful with great views of the valley, majestic and beautiful homes, clean, and friendly neighbors. Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with finding this area of PA as I had looked at new constructions in Bethlehem and other neighboring towns in Lehigh County and Bucks County (both counties are closer to NYC as I didn't want to travel too far from NYC). And I felt I found the perfect balance of what's important to me and the things I love in Upper Macungie.

I had to share my insights on here to help someone else realize that it's always best to go to a neighborhood yourself and look at the homes that offer what you're looking. Don't focus on what people say as prior to considering to buy in PA, I had people say to me that "PA doesn't have anything out there. It's a boring place with all farm lands and nothing else." Sadly, most people in other states don't think outside of the box, and if they visited an area that has farms they automatically assume that the enter state of PA (mind you, one of the largest states in the U.S) is only made up of farms and nothing else to do! LOL I'm so happy that I did not focus on what those naysayers had to say as I truly believe I found a gem in the new construction home that I'm buying!! The area, the complex, the home, and so much more are truly what I was looking for, and all under 2 hrs from a lot of my family and friends, work, etc. in NYC. Thus, I found what is a balance for me and I did so by keeping an open mind, and not allowing other people's opinions to steer me. Overall, the truth is, you'll know when you've found the right home for you when you see it. That statement is very true. Regardless of the state or city. Something deep down inside of you will sing and tell you, "This the right home for you. This is it!!"

Good luck to all of you who are searching and looking for the right home.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 AM

307 posts, read 224,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I visited Allentown last weekend and I really liked it. I want to know how it's like living there/quality of life-wise. I there a lot of activities to do? How is the cost of living? Crime? Job market? Race relations? Pubic transportation? Tell me the pro's and con's please, be creative.
We looked for a house in Bethlehem and Allentown (Easton was out due to the pipeline going down Rt 33 and headed slightly east).

Bethlehem taxes haven't been changed in a while. So what you see may not necessarily be what you end up with. Allentown taxes were reassessed fairly recently. So the shock you go into at least is pretty valid .

Get a GOOD agent. I'm on my last house. You can check out crime on various websites (by clicking on crime and a color-coded overlay is placed on your view). The problem is a good agent knows best - as ours did. When we came back early April, we hit the market running. The realtor place even helps with deciding on the electric and gas carriers (they're not regulated, so there's confusion competition). They pointed us to the best mortgage company (they are). Our house is in zip 18104.

I will caution you that what you see on realtor websites isn't necessarily what you'll see when you view the house. It's annoying and all the more reason to get an agent who knows the area. When we sold our house in another state, what you saw on the MLS is what you got.

We're moving to West Allentown. They have countless parks (Trexler will be near us as well as the rose garden), numerous restaurants, the Fair, and so many activities, it's amazing. What they oddly didn't have was a Unitarian Church. We'd have to come back to Bethlehem for that.

Since we come from a progressive area in the south (less segregation), we were so happy to see people of diverse backgrounds. We missed that immensely. It's in Bethlehem and Allentown and we love it. In our neighborhood in the south, a homeowner addressed the fact that he has a black son (it was weird) because he didn't want people to think his son was from the outside of our development. His son is a hunk, smart, and has one of the coolest cars I've seen. We didn't give it a 2nd thought that his son is black but that's the south for you.

Check out Meetup and the local mags to see what's available for you. We walk a lot - have a small dog and we all get out for exercise.

We'd probably feel more comfortable in Hellertown or Bethlehem in terms of relating to people but Allentown is where the house we found is, so we'll get used to it. Giant, Wegman's, Whole Foods, and other shopping surrounds us. That's important because I'd like to reduce my driving. Giant is in walking distance but you don't see it.

I'm not being creative but I am stating facts as I know them.

Other folks will have to talk about transportation (I just kept hearing to get a cab - Uber or whatever).

The quality of life seems greatly enhanced there and it would be in Bethlehem, too. I'm looking forward to the fair and I will be going to Dorney Park with my niece and great nephews. There will be farmers markets galore when this weather shifts.

Good luck.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-01-2018 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: removed realtor info

Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney17 View Post
Hello, I was curious to see what people had to say about different parts of PA, including Allentown. I have to say that I am a home buyer who is in contract for a a brand new home in Upper Macungie, a suburb of Allentown. Frankly, this suburb has the best of both worlds as it has a nationally renowned school district (Parkland), outdoor activities nearby, stores to go to to buy just about everything (Target, HomeGoods, Ikea, etc.), all within 10 mins drive. Also, it's a safe area and close commute to Interstate 78, NYC, NJ, and other big cities. So I think that depending on what a person's preference is, they can find a good balance of safety, beautiful and well-maintained homes, and great schools, and more in the suburbs of Allentown.

I am a New Yorker, and I decided to purchase in PA because the taxes are much lower than the suburbs of NYS. Taxes in the suburbs of NYS where I owned a home can climb north of $15k and much higher in certain areas. Also, one gets a lot more house for their money, and it has the nature setting and close proximity to things that my family and I like. So I feel I'm getting the best of both worlds moving to the Upper Macungie area!! Along with that, the complex that I'm buying in is absolutely beautiful with great views of the valley, majestic and beautiful homes, clean, and friendly neighbors. Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with finding this area of PA as I had looked at new constructions in Bethlehem and other neighboring towns in Lehigh County and Bucks County (both counties are closer to NYC as I didn't want to travel too far from NYC). And I felt I found the perfect balance of what's important to me and the things I love in Upper Macungie.

I had to share my insights on here to help someone else realize that it's always best to go to a neighborhood yourself and look at the homes that offer what you're looking. Don't focus on what people say as prior to considering to buy in PA, I had people say to me that "PA doesn't have anything out there. It's a boring place with all farm lands and nothing else." Sadly, most people in other states don't think outside of the box, and if they visited an area that has farms they automatically assume that the enter state of PA (mind you, one of the largest states in the U.S) is only made up of farms and nothing else to do! LOL I'm so happy that I did not focus on what those naysayers had to say as I truly believe I found a gem in the new construction home that I'm buying!! The area, the complex, the home, and so much more are truly what I was looking for, and all under 2 hrs from a lot of my family and friends, work, etc. in NYC. Thus, I found what is a balance for me and I did so by keeping an open mind, and not allowing other people's opinions to steer me. Overall, the truth is, you'll know when you've found the right home for you when you see it. That statement is very true. Regardless of the state or city. Something deep down inside of you will sing and tell you, "This the right home for you. This is it!!"

Good luck to all of you who are searching and looking for the right home.
Hopefully you're not commuting regularly from Upper Macungie to NYC. That will be horrendous. I work remotely and had to go in last week for a meeting and it took 3 hours from Easton to and from. Not fun. Luckily I won't have to that again.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 7,413 times
Default Don't listen to Philzz

he obviously doesnl't do anything but hang out in the crappiest parts of town... the town is growing, in a good way. higher incomes, better job opportunities, new buildings. The city is getting better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley