U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 AM

10,695 posts, read 11,568,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
Macungie is a small borough, with a small downtown area, not nearly as big as Emmaus. But it is safe, clean, and charming.As Paco mentioned, the townships surround Macungie, and are almost all subdivisions and businesses, with no real downtown.
Boroughs are legally incorporated municipalities, that are almost always older than the 20th century. Macungie Borough was founded in 1776, and incorporated in the 1850's. Ancient Oaks next door is place that is recognized by the Census bureau as a designated place. It has no government per se, but they report statistics on it as if it were a municipality. Then next door is a place like Trexlertown which is often associated with a zip code (18087), but no statistics are formally collected by the census bureau (except zip code statistics), and they have no government. More often than not, they are associated with an early property owner and/or a tavern or hotel keeper.

Pennsylvania has more municipalities and places with names than any other state in the Union. New Jersey is a distant second. The names seem to live on forever. Philadelphia city and Philadelphia county merged in 1854 before the Civil War, nearly a half century before the five boroughs merged to form New York City. But Philadelphia still retains dozens of place names (like Manayunk which goes back to hundred years before there was a country).

While Pennsylvania and Philadelphia are not unique in the country for retaining place names for neighborhoods, the vast number of names is fairly unusual for the state.

I know where my grandmother lived in New Kensington which was a little riverfront city of about 2700 acres, there was another city of Arnold (500 acres) right in the middle surrounded by the river and New Ken on three sides. Periodically, there are calls to at least halve the number of municipalities in PA to reduce overhead, but the system persists.

List of names of municipalities by county
PaMunicipalitiesInfo.com - Browse by County or Municipality
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 PM

210 posts, read 344,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I guess what I'm asking if there is any REAL town, the kind with a main street and stores, in Parkland School district. As far as I know, there isn't and the OP specifically wanted a small town.
The west end of Allentown has portions in the Parkland SD. Very nice and walkable areas. If you really like walking, you could live in Parkland, and walk Cedar Creek Park, The Allentown Rose Garden, Trexler Park, all across the West End. The west end has numerous stores and restaurants to stroll by as well.

Does that count?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM

12,921 posts, read 29,886,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Our family is looking for a walkable downtown to live in...weare thinking of Bethlehem, Coopersburg and Emmaus. are there any other towns that I should put on my list? My husband will be working for Air Products so something not too far out. so far, I am liking southern lehigh school district but I also. Like the charter school in Emmaus but there is a long waiting list.

we are going to rent first and then buy once we sort where we want to live. I am from NEPAL but haven't lived in Pa since 1996. I am so happy to be moving back to family and friends.
I'm thinking that they want a walkable downtown.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,102,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
My daughter is in first grade now. CCD classes are fine with us. Catholic schools in California are terrible on the whole. We are in the top rated school district in our hometown but to me the school is just good and not great. I am from PA and the schools are just so much better. What I consider good is considered average here. So sad...really. I didn't know how good the catholic schools are in the Lehigh Valley but public is also fine with us. I went to catholic school my whole life in Pa and did very well. I actually heard from Liberty Bell and they were very nice and welcoming. I like their Spanish immersion program but there is no room this year. I haven't contacted the other schools yet but am liking southern Lehigh more and more. Small is good.

We are also looking at Movarian Academy but read bad reviews about them which had me concerned. I liked Seven Generations charter school. The school reminds me of schools in California with the organic feel to it. I am wondering how the academics are? Sports are important and extra activities like art are as well. My daughter does Karate and would like to continue.

Thanks for all this great info....what websites besides Craigslist would you recommend looking for rentals? We have one indoor kitty who is fabulous.
Curious where you saw bad reviews of Moravian - I've researched them and have found only a handful of reviews on greatschools, only one of which (by a student) is bad.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 PM

594 posts, read 1,504,129 times
Having a hard time narrowing it down on a place to live. Thanks for all the opinions and feedback. Schools have me overwhelmed. I go back and forth and all seem to have pros and cons. For us, it is hard moving mid year and placing our daughter into a district which may or may not be a fit.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM

The last PSSA results rated the following districts by Advanced Reading from high ratings to best (Southern Lehigh). Parkland and Southern Lehigh also scored the highest in Advanced Mathematics. These are district ratings, but there are also ratings for the individual schools.

The PSSA's were not developed to single out exceptional schools, but to look for districts that were in below expectations. Allentown city School District gets a significantly lower rating than any other district.

County - School District (ranked by advanced reading, only top districts shown)
Lehigh EAST PENN SD
Lehigh
NORTHWESTERN LEHIGH SD
Northampton
NAZARETH AREA SD
Lehigh SALISBURY TOWNSHIP SD
Northampton SAUCON VALLEY SD
Lehigh PARKLAND SD
Lehigh SOUTHERN LEHIGH SD

Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM

12,921 posts, read 29,886,967 times
At some point you kind of have to go with your gut. We knew that we wanted smaller secondary schools, that was important to us. Looking at the schools left within our commuting radius we looked at the schools that fit the small school criteria and chose SL. Once we made our decision, we only looked at houses within that district. At some point you just have to do that. Frankly, I think our kids would have been fine in most districts. We've always been involved parents and interested in helping out with their activities and turning them into upstanding adults. I think that's more important then anything.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
At some point you just have to do that. Frankly, I think our kids would have been fine in most districts.
I wonder about that. I received a 5 on Advanced Placement Calculus 36 years ago, and actually taught it for three years. My students got placed at Princeton, Columbia, MIT, Wellesley and several other schools. At the time, I was aware that most people at Liberty did not go on to college, but I don't know if it was ranked as low as it is today. I don't think the PSSA was in existence back then.
But you get some dedicated teachers and you can do well.

School % Advanced Math
LOUIS E DIERUFF HS 7.2%
WILLIAM ALLEN SHS 8.0
PANTHER VALLEY SHS 16.9
LIBERTY HS 21.5%
PALMERTON AREA HS 22.0
CATASAUQUA HS 26.1
WEATHERLY AREA SHS 26.6
FREEDOM HS 27.7
EASTON AREA HS 28.2
WILSON AREA HS 29.3
LEHIGHTON AREA HS 30.2
SAUCON VALLEY SHS 30.8
BANGOR AREA SHS 31.3
PEN ARGYL AREA HS 31.6
JIM THORPE AREA SHS 33.3
WHITEHALL HS 33.7
NAZARETH AREA HS 38.3
EMMAUS HS 38.5
NORTHWESTERN LEHIGH HS 39.2
SOUTHERN LEHIGH SHS 42.9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley