Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Amstel Light Lager, Light
$9.99 for 6 pack (72 oz) at Wegman's Bethlehem
$18.99 for 12 pack (144 oz) at Wegman's Bethlehem
$29.99 for case of 24 (288 oz) at Tanczos beer distributor a mile away

Sierra Nevada Lager, Celebration
$9.99 for 6 pack (72 oz)at Wegman's Bethlehem
$35.99 for case of 24 (288 oz) at Tanczos beer distributor a mile away

The markup is usually from $1 to $2.50 per six pack just to purchase the smaller quantity. I am not sure that I understand the attraction unless you have three relatives coming who all insist on their own brand of beer (which you hate).

The prohibition against selling single beers especially single cheap malt liquor makes sense. As a compromise, maybe they should allow the distributors to sell 12 packs of a dozen popular brands.
Wait, what? Why?

Distributors should be able to sell 6 or 12 packs of any beer they want, singles as well if they see fit. I'm sure as hell not buying a case of Tactical Nuclear Penguin. I don't understand the restrictions in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Wait, what? Why?

Distributors should be able to sell 6 or 12 packs of any beer they want, singles as well if they see fit. I'm sure as hell not buying a case of Tactical Nuclear Penguin. I don't understand the restrictions in PA.
I lived out West, and I certainly appreciated being able to go to a corner store and buying a quart of beer to accompany a game. Especially if I was in a hotel room.

But I still understand the restrictions. If you sell single malt beers for $1.20 in a corner store (like in Vegas) then people tend to either panhandle the money and drink it on the street, or they sell the use of their EBT cards in exchange for people buying them beer.

Pennsylvania has a long history of making it difficult to purchase alcohol. I don't think you can change that culture overnight.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Every state has it's quirks about different things. I don't drink but my husband and our friends do. No one even talks about buying a case being a problem. It's a savings isn't it? I believe you can mix up a case of IPA beers too, can't you?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Rosanne, it's probably too late now, but you have six-packs available right up Sullivan Trail at the Weis Market. They have a great selection and some really high-end stuff at reasonable price. Great if you'd like to try some new beers.

All that being said, I don't like beer

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
I'm confused. I am able to go to the bar down the street and buy only one beer to take home. I also am able to go to Wegman's and buy one beer or two to take home. I don't usually drink beer so the only time I need it is if I'm using it in a recipe, so it makes sense for me not to buy a case that likely will get skunky by the time I get around to using the next bottle. I also remember being able to buy single 40s back in the 90s. Has this changed? I don't understand what is being said about selling single beers?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I think BTA88 is talking about beer distributors not being able to sell sizes smaller then a case. But, I'm another non-beer drinker so maybe I'm wrong.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think BTA88 is talking about beer distributors not being able to sell sizes smaller then a case. But, I'm another non-beer drinker so maybe I'm wrong.
Oh, okay. I thought everyone was talking in general, and I was wondering how I'd been able to get away with it for so long.

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 01-03-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM

In Pennsylvania 40 ounce or 24 ounce beers, are sold at bars, restaurants, and licensed retailers. They can be sold to go. They can also sell up to 192 ounces to go (12 * 16 ounces) to go. You cannot purchase a 16 ounce beer to go.

But a Beer Distributor can sell any maximum amount of beer. Sales are for off-premises consumption only and these sales must be made in original containers of no less than one case of twenty-four (24) containers or seven (7) ounces. "Twelve packers" are acceptable, but the single containers of beer products must be at least twenty-four (24) ounces. Single containers holding more than 128 ounces are acceptable. In most cases, single container sales involve kegs of beer or beer products.

From the PA Liquor Control Enforcement guidelines:

"Eating Place (E) Liquor License
The primary purpose of the "E" licensed establishment is the regular preparation and service of food. The interior dimensions of the establishment must be no less than 300 square feet, equipped with at least thirty (30) chairs, or the equivalent seating, at tables for public use.
"E" licensees may only sell beer or its variants; liquor and wine sales are forbidden. The licensee can sell up to 192 fluid ounces of beer products, in original containers, for take-out purposes. "E" licensees may not sell any single, open container of alcoholic beverage for consumption outside the establishment.

The "E" licensed establishment is commonly referred to as a delicatessen or corner store.

Restaurant (R) Liquor License
The primary purpose of the "R" licensed establishment is to habitually and principally provide food service to the public. The service of liquor, wine or beer products is secondary. The interior dimensions must be no less than 400 square feet, equipped with at least 30 chairs, or the equivalent seating, at tables for public use.

Even though "R" licensees may serve liquor, wine and beer products, they are under the same restrictions as "E" licensees regarding the sale of these products for take-out purposes. "R" licensees may not sell any single, open container of alcoholic beverage for consumption outside the establishment.

The "R" licensed establishment is commonly referred to as a bar or tavern. This type of licensed establishment can encompass anything from an elegant, family dining operation to a small corner bar. "

=====================
Wine and Liquor can be purchase to go in three places in Easton area

Pa Wine & Spirits Store 4802
111 Northampton St
Easton,, PA 18042 - 3633
Phone: (610) 250 - 1814

Pa Wine & Spirits Store 4814
Northampton Crossings
3718 Easton-nazareth Hwy
Easton,, PA 18045 - 2743
Phone: (610) 258 - 8597

Pa Wine & Spirits Store 4815
Forks Town Center
341 Town Center Blvd.
Easton,, PA 18040 - 8367
Phone: (610) 258 - 4928

Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM

LAW SUIT SETTLED DECEMBER 2010
The Malt Beverage Distributors Association, which represents 450 beer distributors across the state, had challenged Wegmans' license on a number of grounds.

The group says letting Wegmans sell beer would allow other supermarkets and big retailers to horn in on the beer-selling trade by establishing their own eating areas and applying for licenses to serve beer and sell six-packs.

That, the association warned, could put beer distributorships - many of them small mom-and-pop operations - out of business.

Since Wegman's won the legal victory, many other grocery stores, like Weiss and Giant have opened there own similar operations. But they must have 30 chairs, a separate entrance, and serve hot food.

A Sheetz Gasoline Station in Altoona began selling beer to go at an eatery attached to their gas station in Altoona. However, they said the beer could not be consumed on the premises since they didn't want to police the drinkers. The supreme court in Pennsylvania said that if they were operating as a restaurant, they were REQUIRED to serve beer for consumption on the premise.

=================
If you only want 168 ounces of beer, the local beer distributor in my area has three choices (24 pack of 7 ounce "pony' bottles)
ROLLING ROCK $13.99
CORONA $18.29
HEINEKEN $20.79

The beer distributor may be able to legally sell a 128 ounce single can of beer, but they may not want that business. I believe the cheapest beer purchase you can make is
YUENGLING 24 12 ounce cans (288 ounces) $12.79 (53 cents per can)

Last edited by PacoMartin; 01-03-2013 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. I'm a very infrequent beer drinker. I bought a case of Rolling Rock for Cinco De Mayo 2011, still have 3 left. That's a green bottle beer, so it's probably beyond skunked by now. My qualm is paying bar/restaurant markups on six packs when they should be sold in beer distributors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley