Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
That's actually more like 37 miles. I looked it up. It is 6 miles from Rt 33 to the Delaware River, and 287 is exit 29, 31 miles east of the Delaware, so your calculations are a little off.
Yea I screwed up my google earth calculation. It certainly makes the case of achieving speed limit much weaker (except at 9 PM).

However, the OP is probably correct, that the relatively small difference in commuting time from where he lives now, should not be a deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,788 times
Well, we bought a home in Forks, due to close next month. We stayed overnight for a few nights and my wife's commute was quicker both days, round trip, than it is now. Not by much, only about 5 mins or so. However, for what we get for our $, its well worth it. We're looking forward to the move!! :-)

Paco, good analysis, we're actually in Kinnelon currently.

Thank you all for the repplies!!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog11 View Post
Well, we bought a home in Forks, due to close next month. We stayed overnight for a few nights and my wife's commute was quicker both days, round trip, than it is now. Not by much, only about 5 mins or so. However, for what we get for our $, its well worth it. We're looking forward to the move!! :-)

Paco, good analysis, we're actually in Kinnelon currently.

Thank you all for the repplies!!
Congrats and good luck. We loved Forks, only moved because our daughter was about to enter high school and Easton HS is bad news.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Congrats and good luck. We loved Forks, only moved because our daughter was about to enter high school and Easton HS is bad news.
I don't know much about the inner workings of the school district, but it is split between urban and suburban areas. Clearly the education level of the parents is much higher in the townships. With the township population clearly outnumbering the city population, and the margin growing every year, I would think that the high school would evolve in 10 years.

Easton Area School District
26,800 Easton City (22.7% no high school degree)
20,691 Palmer Township (8.9% no high school degree)
14,721 Forks Township (5.5% no high school degree)
3,101 Lower Mount Bethel (13.3% no high school degree)
(only part of LMB township goes to Easton Area schools)
868 Borough of Riegelsville, Bucks County

Ranking School Districts in the county by reading score on the PSSA's it is no surprise that the urban districts are the lowest.
BETHLEHEM AREA SD
EASTON AREA SD
NORTHAMPTON AREA SD
BANGOR AREA SD
PEN ARGYL AREA SD
WILSON AREA SD
NAZARETH AREA SD
SAUCON VALLEY SD

Quite a difference in the Zillow Home Value Index
Kinnelon NJ $500,100
Forks Township PA $ 217,200

Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I hear that! When the time comes we'll most likely be looking at Notre Dame. Does it have a good reputation?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't know much about the inner workings of the school district, but it is split between urban and suburban areas. Clearly the education level of the parents is much higher in the townships. With the township population clearly outnumbering the city population, and the margin growing every year, I would think that the high school would evolve in 10 years.

Easton Area School District
26,800 Easton City (22.7% no high school degree)
20,691 Palmer Township (8.9% no high school degree)
14,721 Forks Township (5.5% no high school degree)
3,101 Lower Mount Bethel (13.3% no high school degree)
(only part of LMB township goes to Easton Area schools)
868 Borough of Riegelsville, Bucks County

Ranking School Districts in the county by reading score on the PSSA's it is no surprise that the urban districts are the lowest.
BETHLEHEM AREA SD
EASTON AREA SD
NORTHAMPTON AREA SD
BANGOR AREA SD
PEN ARGYL AREA SD
WILSON AREA SD
NAZARETH AREA SD
SAUCON VALLEY SD

Quite a difference in the Zillow Home Value Index
Kinnelon NJ $500,100
Forks Township PA $ 217,200
Very good point about Easton HS, Paco! Yeah, you should see the difference in taxes between Forks and Kinnelon!!! Yikes!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
I hear that! When the time comes we'll most likely be looking at Notre Dame. Does it have a good reputation?
Notre Dame has a very good reputation. We were considering it as an option before we moved as well.

By the way, we may hve been neighbors of a sort once. I used to live in West Milford.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Very good point about Easton HS, Paco! Yeah, you should see the difference in taxes between Forks and Kinnelon!!! Yikes!
At today's interest rates, $2700 a year will pay principal and interest on borrowing $50K (and it is tax deductible). It is easy to pay that much more in taxes on an equivalent priced house in NJ.

In 1960 about just over half the population of Lehigh Valley lived in the cities (Allentown, Bethlehem Easton)
Today for Northampton County
51.0% townships
21.3% boroughs
18.7% City of Bethlehem (portion in Northampton County)
9.0% City of Easton

In Lehigh County the Allentown School District is limited to the city. Bethlehem and Easton School Districts cover the Urban and Suburban Areas with large differences in most metrics.

Easton Area School District 2012 READING PSSA RESULTS

Elementary Schools
FORKS 87.2%
SHAWNEE 83.9%
TRACY 85.0%
PALMER 81.5%
PAXINOSA 73.7%
MARCH 72.1%
CHESTON 59.8%

Middle Schools
EAMS5/6 65.3%
EAMS7/8 79.0%

High School
EAHS 63.3%

I suppose you could view the lower cost of living as a way to make tuition payments. But I don't know if there is precedent for a county changing school districts. Easton SD is double the size of Nazareth SD, so I imagine that people would like to pull their elementary school and join Forks Township with Nazareth SD which is one of the highest rated in the county.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Notre Dame has a very good reputation. We were considering it as an option before we moved as well.

By the way, we may hve been neighbors of a sort once. I used to live in West Milford.
It's a small world!! I grew up in Ringwood

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I suppose you could view the lower cost of living as a way to make tuition payments. But I don't know if there is precedent for a county changing school districts. Easton SD is double the size of Nazareth SD, so I imagine that people would like to pull their elementary school and join Forks Township with Nazareth SD which is one of the highest rated in the county.
That would certainly be a fantastic occurrence. Of course, the politicians would have to be onboard with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley