Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 8,627 times

Advertisements

Now as far as landfills go it's not much of an eyesore honestly, in fact the whole area is beautiful. My concern is if I can see it, will I be able to SMELL it. We have just viewed the home in January which is not a prime stink month. Sure the air smelled clean in the winter, but will it be a different story in the summertime?

Anyone live near this landfill that can give me some insight? REALLY don't want to let this home pass me by out of unfounded paranoia, but at the same time don't want to regret making a purchase and having to live with it summer after summer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Old and New articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landfill Water Caused Smell :December 11, 1992|The Morning Call
Investigators from the state Department of Environmental Resources believe an odor reported by residents near the Bethlehem landfill and sewage treatment plant Wednesday night was caused by leachate from the landfill. The leachate, a liquid byproduct caused by rain water percolating through decaying organic matter in landfills, is collected and treated at the sewage plant several miles away.The odor disappeared shortly after leachate pumping was halted about 10 p.m. Wednesday, DER's Ed Schoener said yesterday. "It was a hydrogen sulfide-type odor," he said, "To the best of our knowledge, it came from the leachate." Schoener said treating the leachate at the sewage plant is the proper procedure, but that something apparently went wrong, causing the odor. "That was the first time that ever happened," said city Public Works Director Wendell Sherman. "We're still trying to figure out for sure what might have caused it" and how to prevent the odor in the future, Sherman said. Schoener said the leachate was being pumped into a sewer line when the problem arose, and that the city could opt for truck transport for the short term if it recurs.
Lower Saucon Township landfill wants to expand Applebutter Road location

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

Thank you very much for your response. I did come across a similar article, but that seems to be referring to a one-time occurrence. I am concerned with whether the smell will be something we will be experiencing regularly. Thank you again!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
I have no firsthand knowledge of this landfill or its odors, but I would imagine that property values are negatively affected by its proximity, which is probably why it's such a great buy for you. I would wait; maybe rent in the area if you really like it, just to see if you still like it after a year. A house in an area that turns out to have a major strike against it will be an albatross.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Good advice, thank you. We have until mid-June to find a house... well that's not entirely correct, we have until mid-June to have a place closed and ready for us to move into! So realistically we have until about April/May to find a place... of course that's after the wedding in March

I think you are right, that we need to just keep looking. Looks like we have our work cut out for us!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyJon View Post
Thank you very much for your response. I did come across a similar article, but that seems to be referring to a one-time occurrence. I am concerned with whether the smell will be something we will be experiencing regularly. Thank you again!
The older article seemed to be about a one time event. The second article and more recent article was more about ongoing concerns especially with expansion.

There are so few homes out there that it is difficult to find someone who knows firsthand. I don't know if you are talking about Steel City or Sherry Rd. Even driving by probably isn't sufficient to determine if there is an intermittent problem.

Frankly, I think you can only get an honest answer by being a little dishonest. I would use the Northampton County property records and find out who the neighbors are on the street. At least one of them will have a landline with a publicly available phone. I would use some information in an article to pose as some official and question them about problems they have had in the past. Unfortunately, if you say you are thinking of moving into the street, there sense of preserving real estate value will probably keep them from being honest.

I would not pretend to be a government official, but you can always say you are doing a survey for an ecological magazine. Just keep in mind that this person may be a future neighbor.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM

Well in that vein couldn't I just knock on my potential next door neighbor's door and flat out ask him? He knows the house next to him is on sale...

Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
NGJ, What Paco is saying is that it's very much to the neighbors advantage to talk up the area because there's nothing worse then a vacant house next door.

I have to say that location is extremely important in buying a home. Well, you know the Real Estate saying, "What are the three most important things about buying a home? Location, location, location." A house within view of a landfill will be extremely hard to sell and yes, the smell could be just horrid and you may hear the noise of excavation. And what if they expand?

I would really think about that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
This is just my experience. I live approximately 2 miles from the Waste Management Landfill in Pen Argyl, PA. It is not nearly as bad of a stench as it used to be, but if the cloud ceiling is pretty low, you can smell it. If the humidity is very high, you can smell it. If the wind is blowing the right way, you can smell it. If all 3 of the above combine, it smells pretty bad. And I'm in the next town over. My neighbors and I have christened it "Eau d'garbage" If you contact the DEP about it, the contact person sends you a canned response, and all expansions are always approved....just food for thought, have lived here for over 40 yrs now.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM

You guys are great. I have been trying to talk myself into it, and the old lady has known better the whole time. Thank you all so much for the insight, time to keep looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley