Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 PM

178 posts, read 392,357 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I thought I had done this here, but it was for Philly. I have decided against Philly largely because it just looks too flat! I want to get away from flat! This request is in the spirit of the Help for new and potential residents sticky thread. Hope it gives you enough info.

First I am a middle age, white male, single. I will be marketing and promoting social commerce, would like to also do a web site on the area promoting a walkable lifestyle and local business, things I strongly believe in. I would also like to get into redevelopment of old and more urban areas.

When are you moving? - Not sure yet but I would love to spend my next 4th of July in PA not FL!

Where are you coming from?- FL

Why are you moving? - Can't stand FL! Seriously I really can't, winters are nice but that's about it, it's the land of flat suburban sprawl with little history or culture. Plus no mountains, waterfalls, etc., etc.

Where will you be working? - From home and through networking, also interested in finding out about good local business networking groups and associations, especially those with a locally owned and green emphasis.

Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? - Rent initially. If I buy, I'd like to buy something like a single story strip mall and replace it with a multi-story, green mixed use development. Or convert an old abandoned industrial building or something like that. Basically it would be a multifamily investment property, not a single family home. But that's just a dream right now.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - N/A

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? - Studio apt or loft, hopefully in a mixed use building with shops and restaurants, produce market, on the first level. Would love to be close to a Whole Foods Market, or in fact MUCH better a LOCALLY OWEND market similar to Whole Foods. Also close to park, public transportation, etc. But I don't think Lehigh Valley has that yet. So as close as I can get to that.

How much can you spend? - Right now not much, $500 by the time I get there say $1000 a month or more, while I want a nice place I also intentionally want a small space (studio) with a low carbon footprint.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? - Either

Are you married or single? - Single

Do you have children? - No

Do you prefer public or private schools? - N/A but wouldn't mind being close to a university.

Do you have pets? - Not at this time, but I like cats

Do you want or need a yard? - No, unless maybe it's a green roof.

Are you keeping a car? - Yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? - Both, ya that doesn't help much! How about calm activity. Shops, galleries, restaurants, parks, etc. but not heavy with night clubs.

What do you want to be closest to? - Closest to for me means walking not driving.
Work - I'll be working from home mostly so not an issue.
Shopping - Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes
Nightlife - Not so much
Train or subway stations - Yes

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? - Both but tending more toward diverse.

So far from what I have seen online I am more impressed with Bethlehem and Easton then I am Allentown, although I realize that isn't fair as I haven't been to any of them yet. I like that Bethlehem especially seems to be reinventing itself as an arts center. I do hope to visit before I move, but who knows! I like the idea of smaller towns/cities in hilly areas with a more built up/walkable core rather than just sprawl where you have to drive everywhere, that are also close to major cities. One thing that does bum me out that I have learned is that there is no rail service to NYC or Philly from the valley, that really surprised me.

I will say that one thing that attracted me to the area over other NE areas is a lower cost of living than most of the NE. I love places like Middlebury VT, but it is far too small, too expensive, and much too far from major cities. The Lehigh Valley area seems to have as much charm and history (if not more) than other areas but with a lower cost of living. Of course I'm not sure how that effects other things such as the local government and available services, etc.

Thanks Much,

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I think you would really like the small town of Emmaus. They have a wonderful farmers market in the summer and one of the bigger employers is Rodale publishing. There is a growing Green mind set with an emphasis on buying local. Lots of walking trails and parks all over, but I am partial to this one with a section close to me -http://sauconrailtrail.org/

Coopersburg has TWO natural food stores - Bee Natural Health Food Store and good Earth grains & creamery We have a summer farmers market too, but it's not as nice as Emmaus's.

It IS beautiful up here and I think I appreciate it more after having been raised in an area with no hills.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks, from looking at a few pictures and other information I think I would certainly enjoy visiting Emmaus but it would be too small for me to live there. I may have given the wrong impression with my reference to Whole Foods Market, etc. While I do value natural foods, I also greatly value the role science and research has played in improving our food supplies, medicine, health, etc. It's a balance. So to is local vs. large economies of scale with larger businesses. But business when it becomes monopolistic is FAR too large and I do like to see independent local businesses thrive.

My green is more of an urban green, much as David Owen talks about in his book Green Metropolis I believe the keys to sustainability are living smaller, living closer, and driving less, that the best thing we can do for the natural eco system is stay out of it as much as possible, I'm not a back to the lander, that is not sustainible with the world's population. I think we need to be more urban and less suburban or rural. But unlike Mr. Owen who calls NYC the greeenist city in the USA, I think it is too large, requires too many local resources to support it, and separates people too much from the natural environment, (we do need to bring more of nature into urban settings, thus my green roof comment.) although Mr. Owen does recognize some of NYC's faults as well. I think we need more urban, just on a smaller scale than the super cities that he seems to think are the best (even though he doesn't live in one now, but a small CT village LOL!).

Last edited by Explorer Dave; 02-03-2013 at 11:48 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Ahhh! In that respect, you really DO want to live in a city. I think Allentown may have more local markets and it has an excellent year round farmers market - Allentown Fairgrounds Farmers Market - Allentown, Pennsylvania There is a local arts scene, but it's not as lively as Bethlehem. The cities are smack next to each other so it's not a big deal at all to go from one to the other. There is public transportation - LANTA - Home and areas with markets for grocery shopping. I occasionally go to Valley Farm Market for it's vegetables and meat. They have no website, but I like the one on Emaus Avenue in South Allentown. There is a large Hispanic population in both cities so many markets also carry interesting foodstuffs that I am becoming more familiar with. Allentown does have unsafe areas though and we on this forum tend to steer most people to Bethlehem for those that want city living for that reason. Make sure to check the links at the top for the local crime map.

We have a Fresh Market here http://www.thepromenadeshopsatsauconvalley.com/ (and is very close to me) but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as TJ's or Whole Foods.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

From what I have seen online so far I think I would go more toward Bethlehem or even Easton (thought it is much smaller) then I would Allentown. As you said the arts scene in Bethlehem seems strong and getting stronger with the redevelopment of the steel site. I also really like the look of Center Square in Easton (although I wish the restaurants on the square where more local and upscale than Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds! LOL) I am also very impressed with Lafayette College in Easton, which seems to make it a real collage town. (I haven't seen as much of Lehigh University yet) and the plans for the Silk Mill look really cool. Allentown has a nice fountain and monument downtown but other than that so far I am not as impressed with it. But as you say these cities are all very close to each other too.

I am disappointed that there is a Fresh Market but no TJ's or Whole Foods yet I hope one or both of those come in soon. Or even better a market of that type that is local but if a local market of that type isn't established yet, it's not likely to be for some time. I noticed that neither Bee Natural Health Food Store or good Earth grains & creamery are in any of the 3 major LV towns, but since it seems to blend together into PA's 3rd largest "metro area" I'm not sure how much that matters. But I also get the feeling that those two markets are not as large or "trendy" and "hip" as Whole Foods either. I forget the names but last time I was in Burlington VT there where two local markets there that are awesome. I've seen them other places like Portland OR too. Kinda surprised that with a liberal arts school like Lafayette that Easton hasn't developed something like that.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM

I just looked up the Promenade Shops and it is what I thought it is one of those trendy new "Lifestyle" centers that is supposed to recreate a feel of downtown rather than being a suburban shopping mall. What BS! I mean it looks nice and all but downtown's are generally a multi-story environment with a mix of shopping/entertainment, business offices, and housing, etc. They are not single story shopping/entertainment centers with the same footprint as a suburban mall, if you are going to build that put a cover on it give me a conditioned environment and don't try to pretend that it's something that it's not! You want to recreate downtown? Than invest some money in downtown and or build a new multistory environment that includes a lot more than shopping and entertainment such as business offices and housing.

Here's an example of a new mixed use development that I think is much better http://430briercliffdrive.com/wp-con...ffice_rpt5.jpg it's called SODO in Orlando and includes shopping entertainment, business offices and housing at a human scale 3-5 stories not single story or skyscraper. There is one in Lakeland FL a lot like the Promenade Shopsthat was touted as a new Main Street, excuse me! It's not Main Street, it's a suburban mall where the landlord doesn't have as big an air conditioning bill!

Last edited by Explorer Dave; 02-04-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM

I agree with you about the Promenade shops. Bethlehem is (IMHO) as much if not more of a college town then Easton in that Moravian College and Lehigh Colleges are right in town. That could be just my perception since I know those colleges much better. Muhlenberg College, btw, is in West Allentown as is Cedar Crest College.

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
The Promenade is basically an outdoor mall, nothing more or less. It does have some of the nicer stores in the Lehigh Valley though.

Dave, I think you are referring to something like Reston, VA where they have offices, hotels, condos, shops... all in a single "town". The Promenade is nothing like that.

Wegman's (there are multiple) is definitely not WF (I don't like) or TJ's (I love), but has decent elements of both, combined with a "regular" grocery store, so you can get fancy cheeses, and Coke in the same place. It really has reduced my need to go to TJ's to like 2-3 times a year.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
The Promenade is basically an outdoor mall, nothing more or less. It does have some of the nicer stores in the Lehigh Valley though.

Dave, I think you are referring to something like Reston, VA where they have offices, hotels, condos, shops... all in a single "town". The Promenade is nothing like that.
Actually the type of development I am thinking of is happening more and more all across America, just not as much as it needs to yet (IMHO) I really like this TED video by James Kunstler James Kunstler: How bad architecture wrecked cities | Video on TED.com and for me it's not all about the environment, it's that suburban sprawl has largely created places not worth caring about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Wegman's (there are multiple) is definitely not WF (I don't like) or TJ's (I love), but has decent elements of both, combined with a "regular" grocery store, so you can get fancy cheeses, and Coke in the same place. It really has reduced my need to go to TJ's to like 2-3 times a year.
I did a bit of Googling and those do look like nice stores. Mixing both is probably better actually, gives more exposure than just something like a Whole Foods would as it reaches a larger consumer base.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
The West End Theater District is tying to promote a walkable trendy area in allentown where you can rent for less than $1000. You can easily walk to the Farmer's market from there. West end defines itself from 17th and 22nd streets and Liberty and Washington streets. You can't really google Allentown without getting violent crime statistics. The worst crime is usually east of 15th street. This district sounds like something you would be interested in checking out.

A little more than 1/3 of the people in the Valley live in the three cities.

The boroughs are smaller than cities. Emmaus is not only the largest borough, but it abuts Lower Macungie, the most populous township in the valley.
Emmaus 11,211
Northampton borough 9,926
Catasauqua 6,436
Hellertown 5,898
Nazareth 5,746
Fountain Hill 4,614

The gateway boroughs are the most prosperous boroughs in the Valley.
Coopersburg 2,386 (gateway to Philadelphia)
Portland 519 (gateway to New York)

Downtown North Bethlehem is the most attractive of the cities to tourists and to afternoon visitors from the suburbs, but it is not a very affordable place to live. The southside is much more affordable with it's collection of ethnic (Thai, Mexican, Syrian, Chinese, Puerto Rican, American bar food) restaurants, but it can be slightly more dangerous. When I say dangerous it is compared to suburbs, but not compared to most cities.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 02-06-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley