Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,295 times

Advertisements

Mod cut- Please note that this thread was started in 2013.

I've lived in New Jersey my whole life and am starting to lose patience for the job market to get better here, since it is not improving the way other states are. I also know the Philadelphia job market is stagnant, as I have friends from Philly who had to relocate to NJ to find (dead end) jobs just to remain employed throughout this seemingly interminable crunch.

For whatever reason, so many people from New Jersey are relocating to the Lehigh Valley area lately, but I am able to find very little about its job market. I know this area is a hot zone for higher education, as there are more colleges than I can count on two hands. I am certified in NJ as a teacher, but have not been able to find work in that field in three years, and really have no interest in going back into this profession, unless possibly I can teach or work at one of these colleges. Beyond that, how is the job market in the area? Is it beginning to turn up or is it in the same boat as Philly? Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-14-2018 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
This is the worst job market in the Country. Go SOuth and go west if you have money saved up.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,874 times
I would not say it's the worst. You can easily get a temp job in a warehouse or manufacturing with low pay maybe 10 per hour and no benefits. Jobs for professionals don't pay very well either. Commute 30 minutes south and you earn far more.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:03 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
Keep in mind the Jersey citizens who are moving here are those willing to be bedroom commuters. I know someone who commutes 2-3 hours into NYC everyday to earn six figures.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Honestly, I don't know who you all hang out with but the local college grads that I know are employed. They're working for Lutron, Olympus, Just Born, Lehigh Valley Hospital, the schools, small local companies or the colleges. I know a few people that commute into NJ but it's to Merck or EWR, not NYC. People my age that are from NJ moved here because they got jobs here.

To the OP - If the jobless rate is around 5%, doesn't that mean that 95% of the people that are looking for work have jobs? I don't think the job market is stagnant here or in Philly. I agree that it's better to go wherever the jobs are, so if there aren't jobs here in your field, move to where is one, if that's possible.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-25-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 04:34 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
Jobs now are starting to pay $11ish. Wages are slightly improving but the cost of living is rising as well.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Jobs now are starting to pay $11ish. Wages are slightly improving but the cost of living is rising as well.
Yup. All the people moving from NJ and NYC expecting the kind of services and amenities they back home which drives up the costs they were running away from!

Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Keep in mind the Jersey citizens who are moving here are those willing to be bedroom commuters. I know someone who commutes 2-3 hours into NYC everyday to earn six figures.
There are really not that many commuters to NYC every day. I'm sure Paco will give actual stats, but it's less than you think. A lot of people, like myself drive about an hour into NJ or work from home.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM

30 posts, read 34,820 times
Worst job market is lower NY.

Hugely overpopulated area, very high COL, where everyone has a degree in something and are chasing the same low pay jobs....because people need 'a job'.

The idea that you make more in NY or the NE compared to the south just isn't true any more because its a employers market. I've seen jobs in pretty rural Virginia that are very comparable to NY. And I'm not talking about just minimum wage jobs but jobs working at agencies who employ people in healthcare or corporations.

A deli here in rural VA is basically starting people at the same salary as a agency who employs people for Vassar in Poughkeepsie.

Last edited by Khal Z; 07-13-2017 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 02:22 PM

20 posts, read 24,039 times
Teaching jobs pay well around here. They are incredibly hard to get unless you know someone. That's how my two cousins got great teaching jobs. I'm talking elementary and high school though.

I work a decent paying job for what it is in a hospital (I work with insurance). If you want to get paid $11-$17 an hr you can find a job in a week or two here. I can't complain, because I get good priced insurance and benefits. You won't be able to afford a house, but you'll have a job and they probably wouldn't fire you even if you punched someone (I know because jobs I've had are always short handed and they never fire people who need to be). However, my husband just got a masters degree and he has a hard time finding things in this area. He's applied to colleges in this area and only heard from one. He heard back from a college in Bucks county for a director job, and was surprised to find out the offer was good but not great. It certainly isn't bad, but that's the same offers he gets for places in the Lehigh Valley and Bucks is even more expensive to live in. He has also looked into teaching at them, but just be prepared to know that most of the college teaching jobs are for adjunct positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
View detailed profiles of: