U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM

13,111 posts, read 31,339,305 times

Advertisements

My husband and I went up to Musikfest tonight to get a bite to eat, listen to some bands and do so people watching too. It was a beautiful evening weatherwise and we had a nice time. We usually go up a couple of times. It's always surprising to me to see the crowds. It's like everyone under 60 in the Valley is there! Musikfest.org Who else is going?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 AM

13,306 posts, read 13,477,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It's always surprising to me to see the crowds. It's like everyone under 60 in the Valley is there!
Well they have a million attendees every year, and there are only 650K in the two counties. I don't know how many multiple attendees there are or from out of the counties, but it's a good selection of locals.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 2,763,830 times
Sadly, I have never been to Musikfest - and I live a short distance from there.
Who are some of the performers this year? They always have some big names (old performers) there.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM

4,281 posts, read 8,477,957 times
I do not go to Musikfest to see people. I am largely anti-social and if I see people from years ago I deliberately avoid them. I have nothing to say to these jabronies.

There are plenty of legitimate bands at Musikfest that I plan to see. Tommorrow the Leftover Cuties are playing at 5. Then at 9 Southern Culture On The Skids will bring the house down. Other notable acts include the Abrams Brothers and Tavern Tan.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,826,437 times
I generally avoid it. Too crowded, people watching means nothing to me, too much of a hassle/too time consuming to get in and out of if driving, the food isn't anything you can't get elsewhere, and I can get drunk and listen to music at home a lot easier.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,076,684 times
Hi!

My wife and I discussed going at some point this time around but we have voted once again to just simply avoid it.
There are no groups that I'm aware of that I care to see perform and despite my pallet agreeing to Ah Shucks Corn, that alone simply isn't strong enough to sit in traffic, pay for parking, walk or take a shuttle to the event and deal with waiting in line at food vendors.

It is, however a major plus that Musikfest has notably less free performances because it tends to cut down on the riff raff that inevitably cause problems.

This is not to say that everyone that would go or has gone to Musikfest to enjoy free music causes an issue, but let's face it, free venues combined with alcohol tend to draw a group of bottom feeder types.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM

4,281 posts, read 8,477,957 times
I appreciate many of the free acts, but a lot of people do not deserve to see them. Often times the audience has no appreciation for what they are watching. When the Abrams Brothers played a few years ago on Main St. a number of frat boys were doing some kind of drunken pogo dance. Absolutely disrespectful to a quality Bluegrass family outfit.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Sadly, I have never been to Musikfest - and I live a short distance from there.
Who are some of the performers this year? They always have some big names (old performers) there.
My neighbors are going to see BB King with Peter Frampton on Monday night. We usually just go for the smaller bands, but I believe they have a little of everything - Lineup - Musikfest.org

As for parking, we're cheapskates, but for $5. you could park in any number of places within just a couple of blocks of main street. Groups use their church/funeral home/business parking lots to rake in some money. We just found a parking meter and since they stop charging at 9 pm and we arrived at 7:30, it only cost us $1.50. I'm not a big fan of crowds and wouldn't go every night, but once or twice a year, it's fun. We like the classic Musikfest set up on the Northside compared to the flashy set up over at Steel stacks.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 AM

3,859 posts, read 2,763,830 times
I guess that I'm one of the few who know BB King and Peter Frampton - LOL.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I guess that I'm one of the few who know BB King and Peter Frampton - LOL.
I doubt that! I saw Peter Frampton live back in 1976 but that was the college student me. There are several bands from back in the day I would like to hear again, but he's not one of them.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>