Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Not sure if anyone knows of this or even if their electric company (PPL, et al.) participates, but if you're looking to switch our regular bulbs with more energy efficient bulbs then this is somethign you need to check into.

FirstEnergy offers an "Energy Conservation Kit" for it's customers... one per account. All you need to do is fill out a quick form with your account info and within 4-6 weeks they mail you the following:

The kit includes nine compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), a smart strip/surge protector, a furnace filter whistle, and two LED night lights.

The program is no additional cost to you... ***
You will not be charged separately if you receive this Energy Conservation Kit. But please know, the cost of these kits, as with the costs of all other mandated PUCO-approved residential energy efficiency programs, is paid for through a charge included in all residential customers' bills. Offering these kits is one part of our Ohio Energy Efficiency Program, which was approved by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. These programs are necessary to comply with state mandated energy efficiency requirements included in Ohio Senate Bill 221.

I encourage you to check it out... definitely legit... since I got my kit yesterday:

Attached Thumbnails
FirstEnergy Electric - Energy Conservation Kit Program-energy-kit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Looks like the one from PPL is tied to income: https://www.pplelectric.com/save-ene...ower-wise.aspx[/b]

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
The kit includes nine compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), a smart strip/surge protector, a furnace filter whistle, and two LED night lights.

I am wary of any freebies from electric utilities. Your average person uses 12,000 kWh per year (our is 2,276 kWh per month).That free stuff is not very expensive, and even 1 penny extra per kilowatt hour can add up drastically over the course of the year.

The plans that give you a $75 Visa card, or Free electricity on Saturdays are difficult to make up the freebies. The free Saturday program implies that you can save money by shifting a single load of laundry to Saturday (which doesn't add up).

Last edited by PacoMartin; 10-22-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
My SIL, in Lancaster county, has an electric company with free or discounted weekend rates and she told me that they took advantage of it by doing all of their laundry on weekends, cranking up the heat or a/c and even cooking meals for the rest of the week on weekends. I doubt that many people do that, or at least do it consistently for very long. We invested in solar panels instead and our electric bills have been below $20/month since then.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My SIL, in Lancaster county, has an electric company with free or discounted weekend rates and she told me that they took advantage of it by doing all of their laundry on weekends, cranking up the heat or a/c and even cooking meals for the rest of the week on weekends. I doubt that many people do that, or at least do it consistently for very long. We invested in solar panels instead and our electric bills have been below $20/month since then.
Was that when solar panels were subsidized? I'd like to do that, but think it's too expensive now.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I am wary of any freebies from electric utilities. Your average person uses 12,000 kWh per year (our is 2,276 kWh per year).That free stuff is not very expensive, and even 1 penny extra per kilowatt hour can add up drastically over the course of the year.

The plans that give you a $75 Visa card, or Free electricity on Saturdays are difficult to make up the freebies. The free Saturday program implies that you can save money by shifting a single load of laundry to Saturday (which doesn't add up).

hahaha... hey listen.. at no additional cost there was no need in my eyes to be "wary" of anything... all these bulbs are GE brand CFL's at various wattages... all it took was a 1 minute application to confirm that I have an account and they sent me this package... no brainer in my eyes.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Direct Energy has a plan where you get free Saturdays and pay $0.0950/kWh for the other 6 days / week. PPL Energy is charging us $0.0781/kWh for 7 days per week.

I'm not saying you can't exploit that. If you saved up your dishes, and all your dirty laundry, turned down the oil heat to 35 degrees and cranked up the electric space heaters, you would certainly come out ahead. My objection is that the advertising leads you to believe that transferring a single load of laundry to Saturday is all that is necessary to come out ahead.

---
If you are happy with your power generation company, then you should accept their freebies. But I am cautioning against selecting a company based on freebies.

===
The "Clean Energy Option" is to purchase wind generated power, usually at a 25% higher price. I guess my feeling about this option is that it is probably a better use of your money (combined with an efficient gasoline engine) than purchasing a Prius. Having your electric bill go up $30-$40 per month because you are using a renewable energy source is better than spending $7000 on a battery that will be worthless in 4 or 5 years.

Prius $24,200 51/48 mpg
Corolla $16,800 29/37 mpg

Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Not sure if anyone knows of this or even if their electric company (PPL, et al.) participates, but if you're looking to switch our regular bulbs with more energy efficient bulbs then this is somethign you need to check into.

FirstEnergy offers an "Energy Conservation Kit" for it's customers... one per account. All you need to do is fill out a quick form with your account info and within 4-6 weeks they mail you the following:

You will not be charged separately if you receive this Energy Conservation Kit. But please know, the cost of these kits, as with the costs of all other mandated PUCO-approved residential energy efficiency programs, is paid for through a charge included in all residential customers' bills. Offering these kits is one part of our Ohio Energy Efficiency Program, which was approved by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. These programs are necessary to comply with state mandated energy efficiency requirements included in Ohio Senate Bill 221.

I encourage you to check it out... definitely legit... since I got my kit yesterday:
Already jumped on this last month No brainer in my eyes as well. On another note, I have invested in LED bulbs. Not pocket friendly at all. 4 Bulbs=80 bucks Suppose to last 22.8 years. I guess I'll find out.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I have invested in LED bulbs. Not pocket friendly at all. 4 Bulbs=80 bucks
I think LED nightlights pay off. At $2-$3 apiece for ones with a night sensor, they are cheap to operate. That way you don't have to turn on a bunch of lights when you are walking around.

The bulbs were $30 apiece last year, and are closer to $20. If they are going to last for over two decades, you have to think about future sales prices.

While a couple of well placed LED bulbs can't hurt, I have a serious issue with replacing 100 light bulbs in the house. They could be priced at $10 apiece in two years. What if they are broken? Some lights are not turned on all that often. I can't see a payback for the $2k

Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
hahaha... hey listen.. at no additional cost there was no need in my eyes to be "wary" of anything... all these bulbs are GE brand CFL's at various wattages... all it took was a 1 minute application to confirm that I have an account and they sent me this package... no brainer in my eyes.
Generally, I am wary of anybody that offers me free things. But looking at their website it says

PPL Residential Customers! 7.50 cents/kWh through June 2016

which seems like a good rate. I have never seen a sign up period of 2.5 years before, as they are usually 12-15 months. But a variable rate jumped up to 9.50 cents/kWh in June, so it may be worthwhile to lock in at 7.5 cents.

This comment is regardless of the free gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley