Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times

Advertisements

With all due respect, you would be absolutely insane to sign up for this kind of commute as a single person without a family to support.

Much of what you are going to find out here for under 150k is going to be older and in need of upgrades and/or constant maintenance. Since you will have zero time during the week due to the commute, this will consume your weekends. Is that the life you want?

1 hour of bumper to bumper traffic from your current location to work is going to be a dream compared to what you will face trying to get into queens from this area. I can see this easily being a 2.5-3 hour commute each way unless you are leaving before 4:30am.

The cost of the commute and the wear on your mental health cancels out whatever equity you would be building in a house here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 PM

16 posts, read 24,293 times
What type of job do you have? If it's in the health care field, have you considered
The LHV med center?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 AM

169 posts, read 661,289 times
I would suggest renting for a year to see how the commute goes! I used to commute from the Poconos to Brooklyn and it wasn't easy.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valron30 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it and I am thinking really hard about it. I have to be at work early and I actually already leave home at 6 am to arrive early and allow ample cushion time for any possible traffic delays. All of the Long Islanders that I work with who say that I'm crazy for considering this leave between 5 and 6 am, too.
Perhaps you should pick a scenario and run it through you mind:

Here is a house that is in foreclosure within walking distance (2 blocks) to the Easton bus stop
54 S 5th St, Easton, PA 18042 4 beds:4 baths :2,320 sq ft Lot:1,742 sqft Year Built:1900 Last Sold:Jan 2005 for $249,000
Now this house will probably sell in foreclosure for half the previous sale price.

Here are some target buses
5:20a - 6:50a Bus (Easton to PABT) first bus of the morning
5:20p - 7:00p Bus (PABT to Easton )
5:40p - 7:15p Bus (PABT to Easton )
5:55p - 7:35p Bus (PABT to Easton )
6:20p - 7:55p Bus (PABT to Easton )

Is that enough time for you to ride the subway and work an 8 hour day?

Now run through variations in your mind. If you give up your car you will probably be miserable in the Lehigh Valley. Could you handle roomates? Do you have relatives that would invest?
What if you want a commute on the Lehigh Valley end? Do you need a later bus than the options shown.

Now consider living in Harrison or Newark. PATH train is much cheaper than bus. If you have a life without a car, then you have a lot more money.

One advantage of living at the end of a PATH train is they run 24 hours. You can go out somewhere in the city and come home late. You can go in on weekends.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
It seems that we have not heard from the OP in a few days. Let's hope he makes the right decision concerning a commute of this magnitude.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
It seems that we have not heard from the OP in a few days. Let's hope he makes the right decision concerning a commute of this magnitude.
I think this is the first person who has asked about a minimum of 30 hours of commuting per week. I had one friend who commuted about 15 hours per week, but he also worked long hours. He said, I have a beautiful house that the dogs get to enjoy, but dogs could care less about a house. They just want you there.

I did know a guy who commuted from West Virginia to suburban Washington DC. He simply said he wanted a certain life for his family, and he was willing to go through this ordeal to get it.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 10,563 times
Hi,

I haven't made a final decision yet. I'm still seriously considering it and researching. I've spoken to a few co-workers who are currently doing it and have been for 10+ years and their advice is to base it on what my personal life priorities are and what I am and am not willing to sacrifice. If an easy commute was the extent of my values and priorities regarding quality of life, I would just look for something in Queens and would have done so long ago. I think quality of life is a very subjective concept. I really do appreciate all of the feedback. Although, I will say that I thought some of the comments about me potentially having no time for a life if I decide to take on this type of commute were a little over the top and melodramatic. I have a car and family and a good circle of friends. Staying over in the city if I want a night out isn't really a problem. This is something "the Bridge and Tunnel" crowd do all of the time.

The most important goal to me right at this moment is owning a home. I really do believe that I'd be happier commuting from a house that I can afford to own and absolutely love than I would be walking to the subway from a tiny co-op that I don't really like at all but just tolerate because it's close to the subway.

I'm also researching the Stroudsburg area. I was also considering the possibility of living someplace close enough where it's feasible to drive into Jersey and take NJ Transit.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valron30 View Post
The most important goal to me right at this moment is owning a home. I really do believe that I'd be happier commuting from a house that I can afford to own and absolutely love than I would be walking to the subway from a tiny co-op that I don't really like at all but just tolerate because it's close to the subway.

I'm also researching the Stroudsburg area. I was also considering the possibility of living someplace close enough where it's feasible to drive into Jersey and take NJ Transit.
Absolutely. I highly recommend that you check into Value place for 7 days ($269)
Value Place

Drive the 3.6 miles to William Penn Highway Park and Ride and WILLIAM PENN HIGHWAY (P)
Park & Ride Rt. 33 ($165.25 for 10 one way rides). Early buses take less time
4:20-5:55 first bus Park & Ride to PABT (95 minutes)
4:55-6:15 second bus Park & Ride to PABT (100 minutes)
Christian Springs, to Linden, to Oakland, to Easton Avenue to Park and Ride

If you come in on Sunday night, and you want I will help you with the route, show you where the cheap Chinese Buffets and $6 meals can be bought. It is worth a $500 investment to see what it feels like for one week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley