Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I agree that it is a good diner/restaurant in the otherwise crappy town of A-Town. However, I do not like the abbreviated term, "ham fam." I prefer to be proper and address the establishment in a respectable manner.
I used to think it was a derogatory type of term for the diner too, but I see they have "Ham Fam" in Neon lights by the front door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I used to think it was a derogatory type of term for the diner too, but I see they have "Ham Fam" in Neon lights by the front door

They sold out and gave in to the slang designation.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM

155 posts, read 941,894 times
Sorry I was wrong, Jack Creek isn't in the plaza by redners, It's in the strip mall down the street on Catasauqua rd. with Ollies.

Best Chinese take out is Miramir on 7th st. just past home depot off rt.22

Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
They sold out and gave in to the slang designation.
They have been billing themselves as "Ham Fam" for several years now.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Old Favorites

Yocco's

Stahley's

Stuffed Clams at the hotel Bethlehem, not sure if they are still there

The Oasis Restaurant and Putt Putt

Tops

The Lantern

Mach's Gute

Gromans for sandwhiches

Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Janeann, are these perhaps places that were popular several years ago? Yocco's and the Hotel Bethlehem are the only ones I am familiar with. Stahley's sort of rings a bell, like maybe I drove past it. I would prefer to go to good, non-chain places so if these are open now maybe you could describe them a little more - all in Bethlehem?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 AM

Pete's Hot Dogs in South Bethlehem are better than the overrated Yoccos. Of course hot dogs in general are bad for you no matter where you get them. I try to limit my hot dog consumption to once a month or two.

Be forewarned that if anybody ever reccomends the Brass Rail on Lehigh St. in South Allentown don't take the bait. They are terribly overrated and the cheesesteaks are not good despite what the "dumb dutchies" tell you. They were located on Hamilton St. but went out of business. Now they just have one location on Lehigh St. It is bad, blandised, phony Italian food!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 AM

41 posts, read 159,226 times
diner - bethlehem diner on catasaqua rd....

hot dog place.... without a doubt it is potts!!!!!!!!
please do not start an argument with me over who has the best hot dog... to each his own...

richards drive in also known as greasy d!*ks in easton is good too..

J's cheesesteaks use to be good... but then the original owners sold the business( at least the one in bethlehem...) and the new owners changed everything...

also ricardo's tavern house in hellertown has the best mexican food ever

Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
To offer my opinion on a few places mentioned:

Brass Rail - I like the food and prices. It is not 5 star by any stretch of the imagination, but considering the price it is a decent bargain. A rum and coke only costs $1.75 and that makes me happy. The place is always packed. The steak sandwiches are decent, but they are not a traditional philly cheesesteak and are good for a change of pace.

Stahleys or Stahley's Cellarette is a great place. Really good food at really cheap prices. Again, not 5 star dining and the place dosen't look like much from the outside, but food and drink prices make up for it on the inside. It is on Union Blvd. in Allentown about 2 miles outside Bethlehem.

Bethlehem Diner on Catasaqua road is awesome, everyone must eat there.

Potts Hot dogs are good too, but a much different dog than Yoccos

A few new ones:
Grumpy’s Bar B Que Roadhouse on Mauch Chunk is as close to Bar B Que mecca as you will get north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Beef Baron is on Catasaqua road on the Beth/A-town border. They have great roast beef sandwiches.

Mama's Pizza in Coplay IMHO is the best pizza I have ever had, with the exception of a pizza place near the Franklin Institute in Philly.

Bear Swamp Diner in Macungie serves up a great Breakfast. I never ate there for lunch or dinner.

Out of the places I mentioned Grumpys, Stahleys and Brass Rail rank as my top 3.

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 12-11-2007 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
To offer my opinion on a few places mentioned:

Brass Rail - I like the food and prices. It is not 5 star by any stretch of the imagination, but considering the price it is a decent bargain. A rum and coke only costs $1.75 and that makes me happy. The place is always packed. The steak sandwiches are decent, but they are not a traditional philly cheesesteak and are good for a change of pace.

Stahleys or Stahley's Cellarette is a great place. Really good food at really cheap prices. Again, not 5 star dining and the place dosen't look like much from the outside, but food and drink prices make up for it on the inside. It is on Union Blvd. in Allentown about 2 miles outside Bethlehem.

Bethlehem Diner on Catasaqua road is awesome, everyone must eat there.

Potts Hot dogs are good too, but a much different dog than Yoccos

A few new ones:
Grumpy’s Bar B Que Roadhouse on Mauch Chunk is as close to Bar B Que mecca as you will get north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Beef Baron is on Catasaqua road on the Beth/A-town border. They have great roast beef sandwiches.

Mama's Pizza in Coplay IMHO is the best pizza I have ever had, with the exception of a pizza place near the Franklin Institute in Philly.

Bear Swamp Diner in Macungie serves up a great Breakfast. I never ate there for lunch or dinner.

Out of the places I mentioned Grumpys, Stahleys and Brass Rail rank as my top 3.

I also give kudos to the Bethlehem Diner. In addition I think the Tic Toc in Easton/Palmer Township is also very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley