U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM

14 posts, read 19,077 times

Advertisements

Why are you moving? I want to get out of Jersey- tired of the endless traffic, the very rude people, the expensive cost of living! I want a change of scenery.
Where will you be working? Don't know yet- just started job searching
Have you been here yet? No- plan on making some day trips once it gets warmer

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much canyou spend? Probably an apartment or townhouse. I am looking to spend a maximum of $900/month on rent- right now I'm paying $880 plus electric and gas
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single 30 yr old F, no children
Do you have pets? Yes, 1 cat
Do you want or need a yard? I would like a yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I would like to live someplace more calm/quiet, that would not be a far drive from bustling activity

What do you want to be closest to? I don't want to be too far from the border of NJ, to make visiting friends and family (and vice versa) easier. I'd also like to be close to good hiking trails and not too far from the Delaware Water Gap. My parents live in Milford PA, so I'm trying not to move any farther south than Lehigh Valley.

Overall, I'm looking for an area that is friendly and SAFE. I'm not into nightclubs, so just having a few local pubs or sports bars within driving distance would be good. Looking for an area that has some greenery (grass/trees), with nice local parks. I don't want to live in a super crowded/busy type of place. I'm lookng for a more laid-back feel. I'm an outdoors girl in warm weather, so I love kayaking, hiking, hanging out at the park, going for walks, eating at outside restaraunts, attending festivals, etc. Thanks everyone in advance for your help!!

(And if there is an area not in Lehigh Valley, that is still easily accessible from Jersey, that you think would match this description, please feel free to share I am all ears!!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM

13,143 posts, read 31,651,357 times
I think your goal is reasonable. I would simply suggest snagging that job first anywhere in the Lehigh Valley and then looking for a place to live. It doesn't make sense to find the perfect place to live and then find out that you would have to drive hours to get to it. Good luck!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 19,077 times
Thanks for your feedback! I wanted to get opinions on areas to live first, only because I would rather love where I live and deal with a commute (I drive an hour to/from work now- ugh!), then to get a job someplace only to find that the area is not a good/safe one to work or live in!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Finding a safe place to live is not a problem though as long as you don't live in the wrong sections of Allentown, Bethlehem or Easton. Any of the surrounding towns are nice and safe. But, we don't have good public transportation here and weather can seriously impede your commute. It wouldn't make sense to get a place east of Easton and than find a job on the west side of Allentown and realize you should have gotten a house in Emmaus.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 AM

38 posts, read 67,200 times
Keep it simple -- don't stress over finding a job close to home.

Find a nice place, make sure you are financially stable to move and live there without a job for a little bit, and then start searching for jobs.

OR, search for a job now, and then live around there.

Ultimately, I think you should look for a place first, and then making something work out.
Finding a job first, and then a house second seems too complicated and a lot of worrying. The moment when you let stress impede, is the moment you are cutting precious years off of your life.

Keep it simple! Don't over-think which decision you should make first, like others suggest. Go with the flow, life changes with you.
I live in Pen Argyl now, and had a PC repair job in Allentown. I didn't have to 'relocate' because of it either. I drove -- so what if you live far away? It was a half an hour drive. My old high school English teacher drives 2 hours to get to my school. He doesn't relocate because he has a job here. Unless you live in Pennsylvania, and have a job in California, obviously you need to relocate. So I don't see why you need to stress over a job now, when you didn't even move! You have too much heavy baggage to carry, to even enjoy working right now. It is the opposite of which you should do. Find a place first! Keep it simple.

Find a city outside of ABE and you will be fine. I've lived in Allentown on 2nd street until I was 4 or 5. My old employer said it was the worse street in Allentown. So, do be careful with where you pick an apartment or such from. With that, you need to worry a little and increase your standards. There are a lot of gorgeous places in the Lehigh Valley, so don't pick something you don't like just because you need a place 'fast'.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM

To each his own, but there is a real benefit, IMHO, in living where you work. My husband and I both work less than 15 minutes from our home. I see my neighbors, and friends from around here every day. I can be home in 15 minutes, and that's with traffic. I hate moving and we've done it ten times so when I think of moving, I always want it to be the last time!

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 AM

2,936 posts, read 5,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
To each his own, but there is a real benefit, IMHO, in living where you work. My husband and I both work less than 15 minutes from our home. I see my neighbors, and friends from around here every day. I can be home in 15 minutes, and that's with traffic. I hate moving and we've done it ten times so when I think of moving, I always want it to be the last time!
I couldn't agree more. My wife works 10 minutes from home and I work anywhere from 45 min to 1:15 from home and there is a huge difference. I think length of commute is the key to happiness.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM

16 posts, read 23,386 times
What kind of job are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley