Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:38 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times

Advertisements

And yes, this is the close minded nonsense that makes me happy every day that I left the Valley years ago. When the American miners and railroaders moved down from the coal regions to the Valley, there was the same cry, when the American people came up from Philly, there was the same cry, and when the Americans were coming up from Puerto Rico the same again. I am sure there are more groups who felt the icy coldness of the Lehigh Valley. It is true that if you have lived there forever, (I was born and raised there) you are fine, but if you dare to move there, it takes an age to get established.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:29 PM

104 posts, read 435,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born a breed in allentown View Post
The native people like myself have been forced by certain poeple[if you know what meen] to relocate father away from allentown,or move away totally because of the steady flow of trash moving here from NY,NJ.It's a shame,if you folk's could experience the pleasant,safe,wholesome life it used be around here.Both my grand parents were pa dutch and spoke it offten,Ohow nice it was back then,NOW REPLACED WITH SPANISH.
This is so rude..... I'm a native and I don't share your opinion.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM

83 posts, read 292,886 times
thank you.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
People move for different reasons, and moving because they want a better way of life is the American way of doing things. Hopefully people like born a breed will move out so more open minded people can take his place. We moved here ten years ago and were met with open arms. What makes an area interesting and alive are the diversity of the people and the willingness of all to keep the good traditions, create some new traditions and work together to make things better.

The only tip I can give newcomers is when you move to this area, find what you like about your new home and don't mourn what you've left. I work at a public library and I love it when newcomers come to our library and praise it, and right away start participating in the programs. It's a real downer when newcomers start complaining about how they don't have a PA license yet, and how their old library did this and that differently, etc.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 AM

113 posts, read 549,782 times
3boys269,

When we were moving here in Dec I found most of the posters to be so positive and helpful. I found the ignornace of the argument that people shouldn't move from where they were born silly but sometimes concerning until we moved here. We have only felt welcome. People have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome and offer their help -- even meals for my family for after our baby is born. I have found this area to be filled with kind and friendly people. I have heard from others who moved here that people keep more to themselves, but I moved here from MN and for us we found it more friendly than my scandinavian home.

I'm sure you'll be welcomed.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:30 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born a breed in allentown View Post
The native people like myself have been forced by certain poeple[if you know what meen] to relocate father away from allentown,or move away totally because of the steady flow of trash moving here from NY,NJ.It's a shame,if you folk's could experience the pleasant,safe,wholesome life it used be around here.Both my grand parents were pa dutch and spoke it offten,Ohow nice it was back then,NOW REPLACED WITH SPANISH.
Ignorance, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley