Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,255,008 times

Advertisements

We just moved here in October, and so far I can count on one hand the number of people I've met that are natives to the lehigh valley.

We were at a neighbor's last night for a party, and everyone who was there was from somewhere else. I have no problem with that since we too are transplants, I just didn't realize the lehigh valley was home to so many transplants.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,173,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
We just moved here in October, and so far I can count on one hand the number of people I've met that are natives to the lehigh valley.

We were at a neighbor's last night for a party, and everyone who was there was from somewhere else. I have no problem with that since we too are transplants, I just didn't realize the lehigh valley was home to so many transplants.
I was, but I'm not in the area currently. If I had to guess, I would say you are living in one of the new suburban housing developments, am I right?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 AM

117 posts, read 443,746 times
I am born and bred.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,255,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I was, but I'm not in the area currently. If I had to guess, I would say you are living in one of the new suburban housing developments, am I right?
Yup, you'd be right. We like it here a lot!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM

28 posts, read 110,310 times
Technically I'm just out of the valley, having grown up near Phillipsburg, NJ. But my mother's family came from Allentown. And you just have to love those Allentown accents when you hear them!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Yup, you'd be right. We like it here a lot!
Many of the new suburban developments are filled with new residents to the area. I have found that long time residents of the area tend to live in the older developments and housing that is not in planned communities.
There is a lot to like and I miss the area very much. Although we are only 50 minutes to the north, it is a world of difference.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,924,081 times
Native here, lived here my whole life. DH and I briefly lived in Easton when first married, but then bought our home in the town I grew up in. I was born at St. Luke's Fountain Hill. I have to consult the genealogy book, but I'm something like the 12th generation of our family to live here in PA in the Nazareth area. We are of PA Dutch descent. My grandfather spoke only Pennsylvania Dutch until he entered school.

Just for what it's worth, we do not live in a brand-new McMansion

Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM

13,252 posts, read 33,402,627 times
I am not a Lehigh Valley native but my mother in law was born and raised in not too far way Nazareth. Her parents spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. Lots of relatives still live in the area. We've lived here for 10 years.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I am not a Lehigh Valley native but my mother in law was born and raised in not too far way Nazareth. Her parents spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. Lots of relatives still live in the area. We've lived here for 10 years.
10 years is pretty close to being native

Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
My uncle and his live-in girlfriend moved to Bethlehem about seven or eight years ago and lived in an attic apartment of a grand old mansion near St. Luke's Hospital. They have since moved only about a mile away to a detached dwelling in Fountain Hill, just over the Lehigh County line. Next year they will be moving though to Washington, DC.

The Lehigh Valley now has an estimated 800,000+ residents, and that number is climbing each day. As Lehigh Valley Native said already, newer transplants tend to flock to newer subdivisions when they relocate to a new area because they know these developments are magnets for other transplants just like themselves and that they might have an easier time assimilating amongst people who can relate to their moving experiences. I see this myself here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, where we're seeing an influx of transplants from NY and NJ (yes, our population has just started to grow again believe it or not after many decades of decline), but they all flock to McMansion-villes on the suburban periphery because they are presumably afraid they won't be able to adjust as well to an in-town environment.

For the life of me though I never figured out why more folks didn't move to Bethlehem proper as opposed to Forks Township, Palmer Township, Bethlehem Township, Saucon Valley, and the other suburbs. That is quite honestly one of the nicest cities I've been to in my life, yet people still avoid moving there. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley