U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 22,922 times

Advertisements

GodLivesInPa
1 posts, read 11 times

I bought property in Lehigh Valley and after gutting it to bare studs the re-construction didn't get that much further.
Windows doors insulation sheetrock plumbing not done. Rough wiring was done.

I have yet to find an honest contractor that doesn't want thousands of dollars upfront and doesn't run off with my money even when a contract is signed by both parties.

It didn't help that I am a woman. Women are not taken seriously.

This is what happened to me: I ordered windows from him and paid upfront for them and for delivery and installation over $5.000 he cashed the check and refuses to deliver on the contract.

I came to a sad conclusion that you have to know someone or look for someone that was recommended highly and don't give any money upfront or you'll be taken by them like me, because there is no way to go after the crooks since they have no bank accounts or won't give you their adresess.

I am surprised the state doesnt implement laws to that effect and allows this to happen. I am from NJ where contractors have to register with the state.

I went to a lawyer but he said that it would cost me to retain him and there was no way to guarantee if the contractor would pay me my money back, so I didnt pursue it.

I'm sure there are plenty of gullible people like me that believe in honest work for honest pay I decided to write this to warn them.

One of the contractors was from Craigs List the other was local( the local was no different kept asking for more money without doing much of anything, I called my brother to take over since I couldn't handle the situation anymore he fired the local ones).

I keep reading The Morning Call a local newspaper for Lehigh Valley, there was a story yesterday about a dishonest contractor that bilked homewoners for $160.000 in a span of 4 years because no one came forward earlier to expose him.

He got 90 days in jail and was ordered to reimburse his victims. Victims were in court said they dont expect to get anything back from him and believed there were many more that did not come forward against him.

I used to think and still do that God lives in Pennsylvania because it is so beautiful with it's valleys and mountains full of green trees I'd say it equals with Grand Canyon and should be treated as a national treasure.

I've only seen the Grand Canyon in pictures, Pennsylvania is much greener.

As pretty as it is Pensylvania is a poor state, I found an article stating that inflation in Pennsylvania doubles the national average ( National average is about 2.8% but is 6.5% in Pa) and the wages are only marginally higher than they were 25 years ago.

There was only 80.000 new jobs created form year 2000 to the present.

I found out that many that relocated from Jersey still do shopping in NJ for groceries. Prices at the grocery store is higher than NJ.
Shop Rite and Costco are most value for your money stores.

There is no Shop Rite (SR has the best prices as does Basic ) where I bought the house. There is a Giant and Mr Z's.

I think you have to go to the nearest town over the bridge to find Shop Rites.
Gasoline is about 30c more than NJ too. Real Estate is MUCH cheaper tho , I bought a twin for $160.000 would be at least $280 in here.

I couldn't sell my home in NJ and still havent finished the remodel in Pa I will probably rent the house out in Pa and live in Jersey since most of my family is here. The 1 1/2 hour drive to my new house was nice in summer but bit scary now in winter.

Waiting for warmer weather to go back and pull out more nails. Dont hold what I said against me it took some courage for me to say what I said.

Here is the link to the Morning Call article and the state pdf article.

http://jec.senate.gov/State%20by%20State/September%202007/PA.pdf (broken link)

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=73691334
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,905,927 times
It is all Shop Rites fault. Since they left the Lehigh Valley, the whole area has gone to hell.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
jjj

168 posts, read 766,681 times
Sorry about you contractor problems. Unfortunetly there are crooks in all states. We were fortunate 8 years ago when we moved here to find excellent and honest contractors to construct our home. Builders in NJ wanted 150.00 to add 1 extra electrical outlet while in Pa it was 35.00. We totally understand the bad taste this experience has left with you but don't give up on PA. Yes gas and some grocieries might be less in NJ but that can't compare to the thousands less we pay here on income tax or the savings on auto insurance which was cut in half when we moved here.....or the big savings on lower utility bills and I could go on. So we pay 25 cents more for a gallon of milk. Thats about 14 dollars more a year and the 10 cents a gallon more in gas adds up to about 100 dollars more a year. So our 8,000.00 dollar a year savings more the offsets the extra cost of gas etc. Good luck and we hope the crep that stole your money has his day in court sooner or later.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM

14 posts, read 50,825 times
Not sure where you live, but there is a Shop Rite in Brodheadsville if you are anywhere near that area. Not really the LV, but I make the trip there occasionally because its worth it.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,383,673 times
If you're looking for good groceries in the LV, why not go to Wegman's?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:53 PM

12,871 posts, read 29,530,398 times
I think the op is looking for a low cost grocery store, like an IGA. Many people go to BJ's for discounts. There is a BJ's about 5 miles from Bethlehem.

GodlivesinPA, I've got to tell you that I think the BEST way to find a reliable contractor is by word of mouth. The person that built our house lives in our neighborhood. I'm sorry that you were not able to find a reliable person but I don't think that is really a reflection on the whole state.

When you move, you really need to find things that you like in the new place, don't waste your time missing what you don't have. Do they have a musikfest in NJ, or a Chriskindlemart or a Celtic Fest? Did you have 6 colleges within 30 minutes? How about a great place to ski within a 45 drive? Any drive-in's in your part of NJ? How about the Promenade shops 15 minutes from Bethlehem in Center Valley?

Maybe if you finish that house you can take some time to get out and enjoy the Lehigh Valley. I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley