Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,949 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Pennsylvania soon. My husband has a lot of family around Allentown. However, we would like to be 30 mins to an hour away from Allentown. Any suggestions?

1. Affordable housing (we're average middle class people)
2. I like hills, green scenery
3. close to restuarants/shopping/movie theatre
4. good school district
5. low crime rate
6. I have a BA in Health Services so maybe close to hospitals/assisted living/ physician offices

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 17,644 times
Im not from the Allentown area so I cant give too much input, but I know Allentown has a large retail area with a mall, outside shopping, movie theater. At least from the last time I was there, the area was really nice. I dont know how long your trip in FL now takes you to get to those venues, but in PA a half hour is the general average for traveling to a retail area, some people travel 45 mins. Fortunately for you, most of PA is green hills and nice scenery, just look anywhere beyond the city limits of Allentown and you're bound to find an area that is picturesque and pleasant within 30-40 mins. The schools are going to be pretty decent wherever you go. Likewise with the shopping, medical facilities are pretty frequent in eastern PA, you should be able to find something not too far from where you live. And as far as crime is concerned, just stay away from inner city of Allentown. The further you get away from the city, the lower the crime rate will become.

But being around there gives you great access to the turnpike which can bring you south to Philadelphia or north for outdoor activities in an hour and a half either way. Thats pretty convenient.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laudato_a View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Pennsylvania soon. My husband has a lot of family around Allentown. However, we would like to be 30 mins to an hour away from Allentown. Any suggestions?

1. Affordable housing (we're average middle class people)
2. I like hills, green scenery
3. close to restuarants/shopping/movie theatre
4. good school district
5. low crime rate
6. I have a BA in Health Services so maybe close to hospitals/assisted living/ physician offices

Thanks so much for any input!

I would suggest finding a job first and then finding a place to live. Healthcare is the #1 industry in the Lehigh Valley so there's a good chance you could find a job here. The largest hospital is the Lehigh Valley hospital but I think it does have an Allentown address. You could always commute from Kutztown though if you really do want to live further away. What's affordable?

Any of the towns surrounding the city's of Allentown, Bethlehem or Easton have good schools, low crime and shopping. The affordable part is subjective.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,142 times
I suggest Emmaus and surrounding areas. Great area and closer to a major hospital and health networks. If you want great schools make sure what your looking at is in East Penn school district or Parkland school district. Also nice and quiet, no crime, and away from all the riff raff of Allentown.

Stay away from living in city limits of Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown, and Reading.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
If test scores are one of your metrics, I would also include Southern Lehigh: SchoolDigger.com - Compare Emmaus High School to other Pennsylvania schools We're also rocking the sports scene right now and have won district titles in Field Hockey, Soccer (against Parkland and Emmaus) and Football.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Anything that's south of the Lehigh Valley, towards Philadelphia, starts to noticeably increase in cost-of-living.

Kutztown was mentioned as a possibility, and I'd like to second that one. It's a small middle-class college town enshrouded by bucolic scenery that's approximately midway between the cores of the cities of the Lehigh Valley (30 minutes to Allentown; 45 minutes to Easton) and Reading (30 minutes). Outer suburban areas of both metro areas that have hospitals and medical offices will be closer than that.

I wouldn't head north of the Lehigh Valley, as that would put you into the Pocono Mountains of Carbon County, which could make your commute much snowier in the winter. Anything east is obviously in New Jersey, so look west!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,949 times
Thank you so much

Old 11-05-2014, 08:49 PM

138 posts, read 173,365 times
You might check out Nazareth as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:53 PM

45 posts, read 63,142 times
There is a beautiful development in Allentown called Treetop Estates. I walk my dog through it and marvel at the new houses and tall trees. Super close to major hospitals, etc. I think the houses start around 300K.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,197 times
In the same vein, I'd like to know what communities are commutable to Allentown that will have a high resale value, if/when we decide to retire to FL! We're looking to move to PA for work (Allentown) but do not want to live in the city. Would prefer a higher-end (more desirable) community with low crime rates and lovely homes--don't know the Lehigh Valley area but it sounds like that's locationally where we need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley