U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 AM

53 posts, read 328,496 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently returned from a trip to the Lehigh Valley to check out some areas that we were interested in buying a home. My husband is a medical student and rotated at Lehigh Valley Hospital in August and lived in the hospital's housing in Allentown. He took me back to look at the area around Muhlenberg College. We loved the area. It consisted of large older homes and beautiful tree-lined streets. However, we have heard so many negative things about Allentown, both from this site and even from the manager at the hotel that we were staying in. Can somebody who is knows that area let me know what West End Allentown is like? Is is really as bad as everyone says? Should we stay away, even from a nice neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 60,979 times
lorib49,
I applaud you for doing your research and actually going to see the area rather then completely dismiss it. The area around Muhlenberg College is beautiful and the homes are very well built. You would be close to many different activities such as the theatre district, rose gardens, cedar beach, shopping and dining establishments.
You may have heard negative things about Allentown, but Allentown is not a stagnant cesspool of crime and decay. On the contrary Allentown has many nice areas such as the area you are looking at as well as Midway Manor & Jerome Hill on the east side of town, and other areas though out the city.
I also love the area and prefer an older well built home. As far as a particular home that you are looking at drive around at different times of the day, speak with neighbors, and you will make the right decision in your mind and heart.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM

155 posts, read 918,788 times
Atownresident is right, Allentown has some beautiful neighborhoods and the west end is right up there. And no It's not as bad as everybody says.
Even the areas that would be considered bad aren't to bad. I think the crime reports are grossly over stated.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 PM

13,182 posts, read 31,922,678 times
I agree that there are some very pretty areas in Allentown. I go to church in Allentown every Sunday and the farmers market is great. I guess if I were a person considering a move to Allentown, I would stick to the Northwest area to be in the nicer area and in Parkland school district: http://search.live.com/images/result...ages%2Fmap.png Even if you don't have kids to put into schools, it will make a big difference for resale. Besides, it's the best looking area.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:56 AM

102 posts, read 510,672 times
I'm assuming your H will be doing his residency at LVH. My H is completing his residency there and we technically have an Allentown zip code but are in Parkland School District in Upper Macungie...Kuhnsville area. Where we live it only takes him about 10 minutes to get to the Cedar Crest facility. I don't know what facility your H would be at most of the time. For my H's residency they are primarily at CC, then 17th and Chew and then Muhlenberg. You might want to check out where he would be. The area you are speaking of does have lots of charm but as advised I would check out the area different times of day. In most older areas of any town there can be a great block very close to a bad block. Take into consideration that you will be home alone a lot! My H has one rotation where he is gone 5 nights per week times 4 weeks in a row! I can't speak personally about the area other than I always like to drive through there because the tree lined streets are so pretty! It can't be all bad because there are some very high dollar homes near Muhlenberg College.

Last edited by SouthernMomto3; 12-31-2007 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 12-31-2007, 10:10 AM

102 posts, read 510,672 times
Okay Lorib49, I just looked back at your posts and how wierd...my H and I are moving to Roanoke this summer for him to work for Carilion Clinic and I noticed you are moving from Roanoke!

Last edited by SouthernMomto3; 12-31-2007 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 42,611 times
be sure to check the school district some parts of west end are in parkland. I live here and wish we would have moved 5 blocks down because we would be in parkland, whichever area in allentown you pick same great parks

Old 01-01-2008, 05:19 PM

53 posts, read 328,496 times
Thank you for the advice, we looked at a number of areas around the Valley and were really just trying to get a feel for some of the areas that we liked. SouthernMomto3 let me know if you have any questions about Roanoke

Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM

4,330 posts, read 8,649,520 times
The West End is the supreme area but you must not let your guard down. Sometimes the hoods will patrol the area around Muhlenberg and mug/rob people. With the recent closing of Harys by the city due to it's criminal reputation I predict the thugs will migrate further West.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,058,346 times
West End Allentown is beautiful, but if you want to make sure you maximize the value of your property, make sure you are in Parkland S.D., which starts at Trexler park going north on the west side of Cedar Crest Blvd. But, if you decide on West End Allentown in Allentown S.D., you will pay lower taxes. Honestly though, people who buy in West End Allentown in Allentown S.D. can afford and will send children to private school, so it probably is a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley