Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 08:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times

Advertisements

Anybody have opinions on the proposed PennEast Pipeline? It would be nice to have more natural gas options in the Valley, as Oil & Propane are expensive, but in general pipelines kind of scare me (mainly leaks).

For those that are unfamiliar:
"PennEast, a consortium of energy firms, to build a 108-mile-long natural gas transmission pipeline starting near Dallas, Luzerne County, and ending at a Transco pipeline interchange in Mercer County, N.J., bisecting Northampton County. If approved by federal regulators, PennEast hopes to complete the pipeline by 2017."

Panel to PennEast pipeline foes in Williams Township: Get together, get involved - The Morning Call

PennEast Pipeline Company: Supplying Clean Affordable Natural Gas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:59 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
They put in a pipeline near us about 5-7 years ago and it may as well be another rock for all the action its seen. (In other words, nada).

Old 11-07-2014, 12:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
They put in a pipeline near us about 5-7 years ago and it may as well be another rock for all the action its seen. (In other words, nada).
That's what I thought. I mean anybody with natural gas available has to have some kind of pipe outside that brings the natural gas in.

The Mcall article is about the protests of having the pipeline and I'm not sure why it's bad idea.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:17 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
A year after construction is completed, few will even notice its existence. Do these folks not realize how many existing pipelines there are in PA and even this area? They are complaining about a new one built to modern standards, and not some of the 50+ year old ones? Makes no sense. If they are so worried about safety and the environment, they should be complaining about 100 year old distribution mains like the one that blew up in Allentown.

What really needs to happen is for UGI to expand natural gas distribution lines in the Valley so that people can convert from more expensive heating sources (oil, propane, electric). I know many folks who reduced their heating costs by almost 2/3 by switching, if the line is already in the street. However, they are pretty thrifty company, and generally only run new lines if a developer is paying for it.

If FERC approves this pipeline (which I think is highly likely) it's basically a done deal and there is nothing the protestors can do about it, they are wasting their time.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:24 PM

331 posts, read 369,808 times
The purpose of this pipeline isn't to provide natural gas to the area - it's to send natural gas from the Marcellus Shale area southeast into New Jersey is limited.

I don't understand all the hype - it's a pipe that goes in the ground. People keep freaking out that it will cause all these "environmental concerns" but I really don't see how that would be possible.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:33 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Yes, the only thing that annoys me about the gas pipelines in our area is that not one of them is being used FOR our area. They're all going to more profitable (for the gas company) regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley