Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,112,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmausRocks View Post
What about Salvatore Bellomo? He's a great guy who's very cool to hang out with. I've known him for years! Very local guy at one point in time. Old time wrestling was the best era I think. The late 70's thru the late 80's was a fantastic time for the sport. The earlier guys were the one's who got it's popularity going but the later guys brought more muscle and hustle!!!!

I met Sal a few times. He initially lived in South Allentown and then moved up to Lehighton. A woman I worked with knew him when he owned an antique store, and she was shocked when I told her who he was. She could'nt comprehend that this nice man she talked to in an antique store was a wrestler. I helped him and his family to their seats at the old General Cinema Theatres in 1985. Year later I met him through Bud Carson who owns the Pro Wrestling World Store in South Allentown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 71,548 times
Default yea....

I do know that Gorilla passed.. Actually Joey was on his way to matches in East Rutherford Nj [Brenden Byrne arena} and Madison Square garden when he was killed in an auto accident on the NJ turnpike.. Gorilla did'nt last much longer after Joey.. Maybe a couple of years.. And, i knew that was going to happen.. Even though Gino [gorilla] was in bad health, you knew how close him and Joey were.. And it would'nt be long..
Loose did u ever attend the arena in center city philly? I'm trying to find some footage from there, but i'm having a hard time..

Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 AM

Default loose

did u check out the footage of the announcer?? Did u happen tp recall his name? Did u watch that live when Ali came into the ring??

Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen salay View Post
I do know that Gorilla passed.. Actually Joey was on his way to matches in East Rutherford Nj [Brenden Byrne arena} and Madison Square garden when he was killed in an auto accident on the NJ turnpike.. Gorilla did'nt last much longer after Joey.. Maybe a couple of years.. And, i knew that was going to happen.. Even though Gino [gorilla] was in bad health, you knew how close him and Joey were.. And it would'nt be long..
Loose did u ever attend the arena in center city philly? I'm trying to find some footage from there, but i'm having a hard time..

I never attended the Philadelphia Arena tapings.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen salay View Post
did u check out the footage of the announcer?? Did u happen tp recall his name? Did u watch that live when Ali came into the ring??

I searched and had no success. Graham Crathon who has a site dedicated to WWF history may know.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Default loose

do u know his web site? Maybe i can ask him about any footage of old the old arena in philly... Thanx.. Loose did they use that arena in Allentown for basketball??Was the hamurg arena the same.. Also are they still in existence today?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 PM

Agricultural Hall was never used for basketball. It was designed to have trade and farm shows which they still have to this day. In the 70's concerts were also held there. Cheaptrick, Blue Oyster Cult, and Ted Nugent all played in the building according to some friends who are a few years older.

I never went to the Hamburg Field House in the heyday. I went there earlier this decade for an independent show that featured an autograph session with Bruno Sammartino.

Im having trouble finding his actual site. His info is on a lot of other people's sites but they're not providing a link.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Default loose u recall when??

A wrestler was thrown outisde the ring, and all the people in the first few rows would run up and surround the area to watch?? I totally forgot all about this until i found a clip of it on u tube.. Boy, do i recall it after seeing it.. U may be a lil young to recall this.. Because shortly after they started usung the metal railings around the ringside seats..
But notice in this clip the bogus guard.. They always stood around, and kind-a tried to keep the people back,, somewhat.. U recall those guards..
Heres the match.. Its the Valiant bros vs's Denucci and sd jones,, and andre gets involved..

YouTube - Andre The Giant Attacks Valiant Bros & Captain Lou Albano

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Those guards were security for the entire Fairgrounds. They patrol the entire area to this day.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Default i kind-a knew...

They were'nt bogus.. I just was rattling on..Do they still where those hats??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley