U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM

4,212 posts, read 8,305,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen salay View Post
They were'nt bogus.. I just was rattling on..Do they still where those hats??

I think they have new ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Finally the answer is Buddy Wagner. He was the old Philadelphia Arena announcer.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:06 AM

18 posts, read 65,202 times
Default Yea....

Thats sounds fimiliar.. Is that him announcing the Ali Monsoon link i sent you? I remember the Buddy.. How'd u get it? Nice! U know what i am trying to get a hold of?? And, u may have even been there.. When Valentine broke Strongbow's leg?? Cant seem to find any footage on it.. I know it happened, because i watched it.. My dad had told me something interesting about that.. I want to see if its true.. Can u get me anything on that...

Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM

There is footage available on youtube of Strongbow facing Valentine on July 21st 1979.As far as the angle where Valentine "broke" Strongbow's leg there was nothing online that I could find.

I found out the ring announcers name by visiting an old school wrestling board called kayfabememories.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 PM

Default exactly loose

I think that match is in the spectrum and various other sites.. In fact i attended their indian strap match in the spectrum.. But when he broke his leg it was in Allentown or Hamburg?? It was televised.. But, my father told me that when the dr's or medics came into the ring to attend to Strongbow they worked on the wrong leg.. The opposite one that Valentine actually broke.. Did u ever hear this?? Thats why i'm looking for it..

Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 PM

I never heard about this. Im not sure if the incident took place in Allentown or Hamburg. I do know that in Allentown they shot an angle where Strongbow appears in the crowd as a spectator and they kept showing him in his seat. Then Valentine had a match and he and the Grand Wizard act beside themselves. He eventually runs into the ring and chases out Valentine and the Grand Wizard. Then he dances around the ring showing the fans that he is healthy and ready to come back. This was at Ag Hall around the summer of 79.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:41 PM

Default oh yea..

send me that one of strongbow in audience.. And, yes this happened in one of those 2 arenas,, like i said i watched it.. Maybe we can get in touch with someone who knows..

Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Default loose

also merry christmas& happy new year.. Its been a pleasure talking with u about old school wrestling.. Not many left around

Old 07-15-2017, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
During this era of wrestling the business was protected and there was a segment of people who really believed that this was an actual competitive sport. There were many altercations in the back of Ag Hall where crazy marks (fans who believe it's real) would harass "bad guys" or "heels" entering the building or coming out. It happened more so at intermission when wrestlers would go out in the back to their cars intending to relax. In certain situations they would be done for the night and intending to drive back to the George Washing Motor Lodge in Whitehall where they stayed. Sometimes the guys could not even get out of the parking lot as angry fans would surround their cars and scream expletives. The wrestlers would usually have fun with this and yell back at the fans. There were a few bad incidents however. In 1982 Sgt. Slaughter and the late Grand Wizard came outside and got into Slaughter's camouflage car. A more violent crowd than usual surrounded the car and started banging the front. The camouflage tinted window was half way down and I as a young 14 year old witnessed a visibly annoyed Slaughter shaking his head and the Grand Wizard rolling his eyes. I knew this was not good. Suddenly a young kid that I estimated to be around 8 bent the antennae. That was it! the door flew open and an angry Slaughter grabbed the kid and threw him down to the ground. The crowd dispersed and a sister picked up this kid who was crying and ran to a Police Officer. The camouflage car sped out of the parking lot as the fans all of a sudden regained their courage and loudly shouted obscenities at them as they drove away. Who knows if any legal ramifications ever came out of this..
Actually, the Slaughter incident was in '83. I was there as well as being amongst the surrounding mob of kids trying to look through the windows. Next thing I knew, walking away from the car with my friends, we turn around and see Slaughter out of the car and actually grabbing him by the hair; the kid crying and all. Then other wrestlers exited the building, Andre included. I thought/hoped that Andre would attack Slaughter in response but it seemed they were all just trying to break it up. "All wrestlers are friends. They weren't going to square off out there", said one of the older kids/wrestling aficionados we were tagging along with (who actually had their own homemade ring in one of their backyards and would practice wrestling themselves while trying to start their own 'federation'). We were told that the kid bent the antenna.

When my Dad picked me and my friend up afterwards - us telling him about the incident and all else about the evening in shear excitement - my Dad said, "I bet the kid was paid off in advance and the whole thing was staged." If this indeed happened in '82 like you said, and me knowing for sure that what I saw was in '83, perhaps it adds credence to such a theory. Simply did the same gig again, perhaps with a different kid, a year later.

Yes, it was the summer of 1983; I was 12. It was the 'eve' of wrestling (or at least WWF) becoming mainstream. My friends got me into it that very summer and after that event at Ag Hall, I was hooked hardcore! Strictly WWF though. My friend and I got there and met up with those older wannabe wrestlers we knew and tagged along. We had regular seats in the back. However, while I was briefly alone simply watching one of the matches from the entrance, a man with his son came up to me and said, "Hey, do you have ringside tickets?" I said no only for he to say, "Well NOW you do", handed two of them to me and left as I graciously thanked him! When I met up with my friend again, I gave him the news - and OFF to ringside we went! Those older dudes weren't pleased.

Yep, I got to see Andre, Big John Stud, the Masked Superstar, George "the Animal", Rocky Johnson (you-know-who's father) who would be one of my favorites, and if not mistaken...I think the one who Sgt Slaughter wrestled that night was SD Jones. He was another one who I liked, the one with a bullet hole on his back shoulder. Bothered me how he would always be winning most of the match against many of the best, only to somehow get pinned in the end anyway. Really wish he would have been a winner/contender - wrestling for titles and whatnot. Would love it later when he would team up with Rocky & Tony Atlas (both would go on to be tag-team champs) in a 3-on-3 and give a trio like, say, Piper/Orndorf/Dr D some real hell.

Tito Santana, I believe, was in the penultimate match of the night and for the Main Event...Snuka (my absolute favorite) against Don Moraco! There were empty seats right behind us so those older dudes also ended up getting great seats after all which was cool. Superfly came out like a bat out of hell and totally anihilated the Intercontinental Champ! Moraco never had a chance to do a THING to him. It was completely one-sided and QUICK! The crowd went bananas!! Total pandemonium!! Of course the 'Catch' like always, it was a NON-TITLE match, which was ALWAYS the case when Snuka would beat Don! Was real great to see Tito take the title from him later on (was a fan of him too), but really would have liked to see Shuka beat Moraco in one of their title bouts (why ever have a non-title bout at all? makes no sense).

Yes, the 'old guard' came to a close literally at the very end of that year (right before New Year's Eve, I believe) when clean-cut crewcut (in actual wrestling attire, mind you) Heavyweight Champ, Bob Bachlund, lost the title to the Iron Sheik. This of course would pave the way for Hulk Hogan (fresh off of added fame due to Rocky III) to, weeks later, take the torch hence bringing the WWF into the mainstream! Yes, Cyndi Lauper would add even more fuel to it and soon enough...Wrestlemania would be brought upon us!

It wasn't it being mainstream that bothered me at all. It's just that I liked it so much in that short time that my interest sort of burned out after that. Summer of '85 (just after WM1) I was still very interested! Then that fall I believe there was a short-lived show on one of the three major stations, I think NBC, either on Fri or Sat night (I forgot) called 'The Main Event' that I would get geeked up over but then my interest just came to an abrupt, permanent halt. Was it the newly-released 'Wrestling Album' that did it? Probably not. If not mistaken, I think Rocky Johnson, SD, and Superfly were out of the picture by then; or at least WWF-wise. If so, that would have served a much better reason. Whatever it was, I just moved on. Still, it was a fun 2+ years and if someone would ever only follow it for that short of time, why not follow it then? Get to follow it when it was still not mainstream yet, and see it blossom to Wrestlemania.

Good times! Was very entertained! And I never stopped respecting it even after all these years of not following at all. Very glad Allentown was much-rightfully-so mentioned in 'The Wrestler' starring Mickey Rourke. Awesome flick!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Bud Carson's Pro Wrestling World at Merchants Square in Allentown has been having many autograph signings. He will be going out of business in 2018, so he is really doing it up these final months. I met Ricky Steamboat, Jim Cornette, and Tony Schiavone. Schiavone is now an announcer for the Gwinnett Minor League team and told me he is looking forward to coming to Coca Cola Park which will be next week.

The next big autograph session will be 8/13 I think. JJ Dillon, Chavo GUerro Jr, bobby Fulton and others will be appearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley