Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 21,724 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give the drawbacks/advantages to living in Lehigh vs Northampton counties? Are there tax differences and/or quality of life differences? We are focusing on Emmaus and Hellertown as potential places to relocate to.

Our main priorities are low crime, good schools, welcoming communities (we tend to be more liberal), beautiful nature/scenery, low cost of living. Proximity and ease of travel to NYC is also a factor, and it is obvious that Hellertown is a bit closer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
I don't know of any county wide generalizations between the two, but more of a question of Emmaus vs. Hellertown (which the differences are minor). I think it's more of a question as to which town has the house/ neighborhood that you like more.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I agree with blazerj. I would be looking more at schools (Big HS in Emmaus, Small in Hellertown) and town vibe. Both are good choices!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM

Default appreciate the guidance

We are living out of state so unfortunately aren't able to explore the area ourselves and have to do as much research as possible via the internet. I know stereotypes can be dangerous, but can anyone attempt to sum up each of the boroughs (Hellertown, Emmaus, Center Valley) that we are looking at? FYI, we are in our 40s with no kids. We like taking scenic walks and bicycle rides and are liberal in our social and political views. We don't have a lavish lifestyle and don't fit in with the country-club scene.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 AM

I just read in another thread that Hellertown has huge traffic and congestion problems? Does anyone know how long this is supposed to last? One thing I have no patience for is sitting in traffic, so that alone might make our decision easier and we can perhaps narrow our search down to Emmaus and Center Valley. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I would make your choices Hellertown, Coopersburg, Emmaus. Not especially in that order, but changing out Coopersburg for Center Valley because that's more of an area than a town. Of the three, I think Emmaus has the most vibrant downtown and liberal people, number wise, I think it has more Democrats. With Rodale in town, there are a lot of like minded fitness people. The velodrome is close by and the Rodale walking trail. Bob Rodale Bicycling and Fitness Park Excellent farmers market right down town. The downside would be the freight train that runs through the main part of town. I'm guessing most people get used to it. Also, because it's on the west side of the county, it's further to transportation to NYC or Philadelphia.

Coopersburg does not have nearly the restaurants or shops on it's main streets as either Emmaus or Hellertown, but it does have a great natural food store and good restaurants just outside of town. The Saucon Rail trail starts in Coopersburg in Living Memorial Park, where there is also a public pool. The trail heads to Center Valley and goes through the Upper Saucon Park where the library is located. Is is the best library of the three towns and it's very active. There's a spin class once a week there and yoga twice a week. There are a lot of people that moved here from somewhere else. I've found it to be extremely friendly. It's easy to hop on a main road to get to Hellertown for the bus to NYC or to get on the turnpike and drive to the train in Lansdale to Philly or just to drive there.

Hellertown has just as good a farmers market as Emmaus, great little shops on it's main street and easy access to the Bieber bus, which goes to NYC. The Saucon rail trail ends right at the Farmers Market. Easy access to Bethlehem, which is the "cool" city. Traffic is a problem right now with big road construction going on at the main roads that go into Hellertown. Great info about Hellertown can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/sauconsource

Good choices to have! My three favorites in our area.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allorbeth View Post
I just read in another thread that Hellertown has huge traffic and congestion problems? Does anyone know how long this is supposed to last? One thing I have no patience for is sitting in traffic, so that alone might make our decision easier and we can perhaps narrow our search down to Emmaus and Center Valley. Thanks.
Take your pick, Fall of 2015 or Fall of 2016.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM

331 posts, read 369,425 times
Yes, there is a major reconstruction of Route 412 going on right now - and the traffic is quite horrendous.

If I had the choice between Hellertown and Emmaus I would pick Emmaus. Also, just so you know, Center Valley isn't a borough and there isn't a town area at all. Unless you mean Coopersburg, in which case it's got that small town feel, too.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:05 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
Also, just so you know, Center Valley isn't a borough and there isn't a town area at all. Unless you mean Coopersburg, in which case it's got that small town feel, too.

There are places inside the townships that are not incorporated, but are well enough defined that the census bureau assigned them an official population in 2010.

In Lehigh County the "places" designated by the Bureau are as follows. Surprisingly enough in Upper Saucon township they chose the placename "DeSales University" and not "Center Valley".
  • 6,661 Ancient Oaks
  • 4,138 Breinigsville
  • 1,538 Cementon
  • 2,115 Cetronia
  • 953 DeSales University
  • 4,406 Dorneyville
  • 2,391 Egypt
  • 14,925 Fullerton
  • 3,378 Hokendauqua
  • 1,243 Laurys Station
  • 898 New Tripoli
  • 2,935 Schnecksville
  • 455 Slatedale
  • 1,113 Stiles
  • 1,988 Trexlertown
  • 5,872 Wescosville

The population of the "places" can exceed those of the 8 officially incorporated boroughs.
  1. Emmaus borough 11,211
  2. Catasauqua borough 6,436
  3. Fountain Hill borough 4,597
  4. Slatington borough 4,232
  5. Coplay borough 3,192
  6. Macungie borough 3,074
  7. Coopersburg borough 2,386
  8. Alburtis borough 2,361

The actual "rural" population of Lehigh county was counted at only 27,700 people in 2010 (7.93% of the population) but they live on 53.57% of the land area of the county.

Population percent considered "rural" by the bureau.
  1. Hanover township 0%
  2. Whitehall township 0%
  3. Lower Macungie township 2%
  4. North Whitehall township 3%
  5. Salisbury township 4%
  6. South Whitehall township 5%
  7. Upper Macungie township 7%
  8. Upper Saucon township 22%
  9. Washington township 38%
  10. Upper Milford township 40%
  11. Lower Milford township 62%
  12. Weisenberg township 77%
  13. Heidelberg township 84%
  14. Lowhill township 90%
  15. Lynn township 100%
  16. Heidelberg township 100%

The standards for urban/rural are applied uniformly across the entire nation.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
The Hellertown traffic is a reason we didn't move there. It's a disaster.

I'd also suggest the Nazareth Area because it's closer to NJ/ NYC is close to shopping (Wegman's, Target, WalMart...) and is generally uncrowded and scenic. It's also close to Jacobsburg State Park and even the Poconos (30 min away) if you like nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley