Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 7,496 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I was hoping I could get some insight on the area. We will be relocating for a new job in NJ, and a few people during the interviews suggested we look at the Bethlehem area for housing. We were initially looking at Forks Township but looking at some forum posts, it looks like the Easton high school is pretty rough. So I was thinking Nazareth is the next closest commute-wise?

I don't know if anyone has lived in Hunterdon county, so if anyone wants to chime in about that, I would appreciate it. We have been looking at homes closer to his work, but we were sort of scared off by the property taxes ($11,000-14,000 a year?! what!) and it seems like you get much less for your money home-wise (also seems that a lot of the houses use heating oil, and I've only heard complaints about that). They are flying us out for a "home finding trip," so I am hoping to get the location nailed down within a month or so. I am very handy so I don't mind somewhat of a fixer-upper, but the homes seem mostly new. Do you like the area? Are people friendly? Good restaurants?

When are you moving? 2-3 months likely
Where are you coming from? Chicago suburbs (very good school district)
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? Hunterdon Cty, NJ
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? house, max is $380,000 but would like to do $330,000 or so

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married (husband works, I stay at home), 2 young kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? yes, I love to garden! So probably no HOA, I have heard they don't like veggie gardens...
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? we like both

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would love a family neighbourhood, we have lived in a lot of different places, mostly just want a safe place with decent schools

Phillies or Mets? No idea! Is that bad?

I also have some possibly dumb questions...

How does preschool work there? Where I am, it is about $150/month for 3 days a week and is essentially part of the school system. Is it connected to the school district or anything or is it only private?

What is a school tax? I thought I read in another thread that there are school taxes in PA. Is that in addition to property tax or just part of it?

We pretty much just stream stuff for TV (no cable), but it looks like the internet services are dodgy? Does anyone have problems with it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,098,015 times
Property taxes consist of school tax, county tax, and municipal tax (some don't have municipal tax, but not many). You will get three different bills. The taxes can either be paid quarterly or all at once if you choose. Most real estate listings combine these amounts to arrive at the total annual tax amount. If you are going to be buying a typical house in the $330k range (2,300-3,000 sf on a quarter acre lot) you will be paying $5,000-$8,000/yr. total in most local areas.

Bethlehem Township is pretty good in terms of what you get for the money, is in a good location for commuting, and shopping is plentiful. Forks and Palmer are slightly more expensive and the taxes are higher.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,878,228 times
I live in the Nazareth School district and have RCN. It's awesome (50 MBPS down and about 10 up). I also commute to NJ daily (about 50 miles, which takes 45 minutes to 75 minutes each way, depending on traffic and time of day).

We looked in Hunterdon County. The big plus, IMO is that the schools there seem to be great, but it felt isolated to me. Clinton is a nice town, but the shopping is kind of far (either Phillipsburg or the Wal Mart plaza in Clinton). Taxes and housing prices are also more there.

I like the Nazareth area. The school district is highly rated in the LV and shopping (Wegmans, Target, 24 hour Wal-Mart) is very close. Also, it's less than 10 miles from the NJ border and is as close as you can get with a good school district. If you have any specific questions, maybe I can help.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I live in the Nazareth School district and have RCN. It's awesome (50 MBPS down and about 10 up). I also commute to NJ daily (about 50 miles, which takes 45 minutes to 75 minutes each way, depending on traffic and time of day).

We looked in Hunterdon County. The big plus, IMO is that the schools there seem to be great, but it felt isolated to me. Clinton is a nice town, but the shopping is kind of far (either Phillipsburg or the Wal Mart plaza in Clinton). Taxes and housing prices are also more there.

I like the Nazareth area. The school district is highly rated in the LV and shopping (Wegmans, Target, 24 hour Wal-Mart) is very close. Also, it's less than 10 miles from the NJ border and is as close as you can get with a good school district. If you have any specific questions, maybe I can help.
That is great info and thanks for the solid numbers on the commute. Just looking at the listings, homes in the Clinton area did seem very isolated and I guess we are used to seeing people around and being closer to shops.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,373,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogmoog View Post
That is great info and thanks for the solid numbers on the commute. Just looking at the listings, homes in the Clinton area did seem very isolated and I guess we are used to seeing people around and being closer to shops.
Of people who live in Northampton County and work, 12.3% work in New York & New Jersey further East than Warren county . Officially Warren County is considered part of the Lehigh Valley Metropolitan Statistical Area as much of the population is near the state border.

The Nazareth and the Saucon Valley School Districts are considered the best of the 8 school districts in Northampton county. There are a range of home prices in Nazareth SD, with Lower Saucon township being the most expensive. Saucon Valley skews a little higher in price with homes in Hellertown borough being the cheapest.

You should get a much nicer home for your price range in Northampton county than in Hunterdon County, and the toll is only $1 to cross the river (into PA only). In particular people are interested in the lower Real Estate taxes.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM

545 posts, read 1,095,083 times
live east of Hunterdon County, in NJ. and then your commute will be a breeze. since all of the traffic will always go the opposite way. Somerset County is extremely wealthy but there are pockets that are cheaper, and more working class. yet very safe stilll. Check out Manville, Raritan, Bound Brook, Somerville.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,373,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
live east of Hunterdon County, in NJ. and then your commute will be a breeze. since all of the traffic will always go the opposite way. Somerset County is extremely wealthy but there are pockets that are cheaper, and more working class. yet very safe stilll. Check out Manville, Raritan, Bound Brook, Somerville.
Somerset County, as of the 2000 Census, was the seventh-wealthiest county in the United States by median household income at $76,933 (third in New Jersey behind Hunterdon County at $79,888 and Morris County at $77,340).

ADvising someone to reverse commute is pretty easy thing to say. Everyone's life would be easier if they could commute opposite to traffic.

Zillow pulls up 73 homes (minimum 3 bedrooms 2+ baths) in Hunterdon county between $330K-$380K. So their are options there as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check those areas of NJ as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 PM

42 posts, read 57,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogmoog View Post
Hey all! I was hoping I could get some insight on the area. We will be relocating for a new job in NJ, and a few people during the interviews suggested we look at the Bethlehem area for housing. We were initially looking at Forks Township but looking at some forum posts, it looks like the Easton high school is pretty rough. So I was thinking Nazareth is the next closest commute-wise?

I don't know if anyone has lived in Hunterdon county, so if anyone wants to chime in about that, I would appreciate it. We have been looking at homes closer to his work, but we were sort of scared off by the property taxes ($11,000-14,000 a year?! what!) and it seems like you get much less for your money home-wise (also seems that a lot of the houses use heating oil, and I've only heard complaints about that). They are flying us out for a "home finding trip," so I am hoping to get the location nailed down within a month or so. I am very handy so I don't mind somewhat of a fixer-upper, but the homes seem mostly new. Do you like the area? Are people friendly? Good restaurants?

When are you moving? 2-3 months likely
Where are you coming from? Chicago suburbs (very good school district)
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? Hunterdon Cty, NJ
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? house, max is $380,000 but would like to do $330,000 or so

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married (husband works, I stay at home), 2 young kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? yes, I love to garden! So probably no HOA, I have heard they don't like veggie gardens...
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? we like both

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would love a family neighbourhood, we have lived in a lot of different places, mostly just want a safe place with decent schools

Phillies or Mets? No idea! Is that bad?

I also have some possibly dumb questions...

How does preschool work there? Where I am, it is about $150/month for 3 days a week and is essentially part of the school system. Is it connected to the school district or anything or is it only private?

What is a school tax? I thought I read in another thread that there are school taxes in PA. Is that in addition to property tax or just part of it?

We pretty much just stream stuff for TV (no cable), but it looks like the internet services are dodgy? Does anyone have problems with it?

Thanks!

I can tell you that EAHS (Easton Area High School) is not rough. I go there. They have a great music program. I know because I am in it.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,878,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasekratzer View Post
I can tell you that EAHS (Easton Area High School) is not rough. I go there. They have a great music program. I know because I am in it.
Can I ask you a question? Why do you think school districts like Easton get have a bad reputation (at least as forums and school comparison websites)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley