U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM

252 posts, read 552,237 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was wondering which town is best to live in ? Allentown, Bethlehem or Easton PA?

Best to live in in terms of...good schools, reasonable taxes, a somewhat "downtown area" with things to do, parks,activities and pools for children.
I am coming from NYC and looking at some options in PA, my understanding is Easton is closest in Lehigh Valley because its on the border. Just wondering what others opinions were on it
And there will be a commute to NYC but not daily, my husbands job is transferrable, so he might do the commute for a year max, but not everyday until the transfer kicks in. So after that, we wont need to worry about the commute to nyc.
thanks everyone!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,731 times
All of the cities are undergoing a renaissance, but of the three, I personally like Bethlehem the best. It has a walkable downtown with many eateries and amenities close by. Actually, Bethlehem has two downtowns; northside and southside. The Southside tends to be more artsy. Being a NJ transplant myself, you'll find costs very reasonable compared to NYC. The better school districts tend to be outside of the these cities though with the Nazareth and Parkland School districts generally considered to be the better ones. I'm sure someone else will come along with an opinion

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM

13,002 posts, read 30,554,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKARL View Post
All of the cities are undergoing a renaissance, but of the three, I personally like Bethlehem the best. It has a walkable downtown with many eateries and amenities close by. Actually, Bethlehem has two downtowns; northside and southside. The Southside tends to be more artsy. Being a NJ transplant myself, you'll find costs very reasonable compared to NYC. The better school districts tend to be outside of the these cities though with the Nazareth and Parkland School districts generally considered to be the better ones. I'm sure someone else will come along with an opinion
I agree with everything except your last sentence. Nazareth is a good school district, but it's not generally put in the top two in the Lehigh Valley: SchoolDigger.com - Compare Saucon Valley Senior High School to other Pennsylvania schools

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 AM

7 posts, read 16,133 times
Hi! I went to school in the Lehigh Valley. I've lived in Bethlehem (north side) and enjoyed it plenty. It's a bit run down in some places, but you can easily walk across the bridge to the pretty south side. It's also local to both urban and rural areas of the Valley. And not far from Easton. My boyfriend lives in Easton. I've always enjoyed the neighborhood, but can't say I have first hand experience living there. I honestly think Bethlehem is preferable, form my observations. Easton would be a bit more suburban, as well. Which might be what you're looking for. I'd say if anything, don't choose Allentown. I don't want to speak to more than I know, but in my years living in the area, that seemed the place where most people would avoid. Crime rates and all that.
Good luck with your decision and your move, you'll enjoy the area!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:38 PM

11,789 posts, read 12,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKARL View Post
All of the cities are undergoing a renaissance, but of the three, I personally like Bethlehem the best. It has a walkable downtown with many eateries and amenities close by. Actually, Bethlehem has two downtowns; northside and southside. The Southside tends to be more artsy
Easton was founded as a city in 1752, and Allentown was founded in 1762. Northern Bethlehem was founded as a borough, and merged with the borough of South Bethlehem in 1917 as a city.

Although that may seem like dry history, Bethlehem still has the characteristics of merged boroughs. It doesn't have anywhere the density of Center City Allentown (or a lot of the urban issues). Center city allentown has a density higher than Pittsburgh.

The southside borough was always the one to attract immigrant groups as it had most of the industry. In the 1920's it was known as a place for New Yorkers to come and gamble and visit houses of ill repute. Todaymany of the old industrial buildings have been converted as art museums, and the selection of ethnic eateries is much higher. Crime rate is also significantly lower in Bethlehem than in Allentown or Easton.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 PM

22,630 posts, read 13,599,862 times
I once lived in Easton for two years before moving to Philly. I liked it. It had a charming and historic little downtown area and it was very walkable. For such a small city it had a remarkably good selection of restaurants and drinking establishments.

The "nicest" part is up on the hill near Lafayette College. I lived near downtown on Ferry Street near the County Courthouse. It was a little sketchy sometimes ... there was even a corner where drugs were being sold. Make no mistake about it, much of Easton had a little bit of a rowdy working-class vibe going on. Still it had a lot of positive attributes and I would not tell people to reject Easton out of hand.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:18 AM

11,789 posts, read 12,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It was a little sketchy sometimes ... there was even a corner where drugs were being sold. Make no mistake about it, much of Easton had a little bit of a rowdy working-class vibe going on. Still it had a lot of positive attributes and I would not tell people to reject Easton out of hand.
In March of 1995 A 13-year-old boy from Brooklyn caught shoplifting shot and critically wounded a security guard at The Bon-Ton department store in downtown Allentown (the former Hess's). A few week's later Bon-Ton decided to close the store.

For many people that was a psychological turning point, where the most dangerous part of the Valley moved from Easton to Center City Allentown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley