Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 16,170 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I welcome any feedback on Jim Thorpe, PA -- I am contemplating locating there from Bucks County (getting WAY too expensive). Also was considering Lehighton or Palmerton, but was more intrigued by Jim Thorpe. Also concerned about Palmerton being a Superfund site.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 05:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I ***love*** Jim Thorpe. It is beautiful! However I've only vacationed there; I could not say anything about living there.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM

39 posts, read 161,012 times
I can give you some insight.My sister lives there .It is very beautiful and has some nice communities.The one negative is it is far for everything! Groceries are 15 mins away and going downhill on a amountain.There is a pizza place now and a small strip mall.If you live there try to be closer to the actual town area.Just be prepared for travelling and a lot of snow.My sister already got some (it did melt right away )If yo u like skiing there is slopes really close by.As far as malls walmart etc.You have to travel about 30 mins.She works in Allenown and says the commute is pretty good.It is VERY beautiful though.I love the town and the scenery around the area.The schools are supposed to be very good also.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:51 PM

Talking Thank you!

Thanks so much for the feedback -- I am still researching and house shopping. Have also considered Lehighton, but don't know much about that town either.
Best wishes!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
My parents grew up in Jim Thorpe when it was still Mauch Chunk and East Mauch Chunk. It was a nice little community then, and even had its own grocery store. It's a family joke with us that everyone at one time or another worked at the Acme.

Jim Thorpe has changed and grown, becoming more tourist-oriented. The Acme is gone now so groceries can be an issue.

We lived in Lehighton when I was about 3 years old so I don't remember much about it. We drove through recently and I was surprised (pleasantly) at the changes (good ones). You'd definitely be closer to all kinds of stores in Lehighton.

I wouldn't worry too much about Palmerton being a Super Fund site. The Zinc has closed down and I don't think it's much of an issue any more. In Lehighton you're also close to the Northeast Extension of the turnpike, which will take you anywhere in PA quickly and easily - north to I-80 or south to the Turnpike or Philadelphia.

It really is a great area, but perhaps not the most proserous area of PA. It's making a comeback and housing should be quite affordable in town. There are many beautiful outlying developments also. The schools are good, and healthcare is nearby.

Keep us posted on your decision, and I wish you the best of luck!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Thank you for the helpful feedback, Dawne. We have listed our home in Bucks County and have to sell first before we can buy. Juggling act!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Default Jim Thorpe

Jim Thorpe is a great little town...lot's of seasonal stuff to do and some very
nice restaurants...it's own opera house and don't forget the Asa Packer
museum and the house Asa built for his son next door that does the murder
mystery weekends....The Switzerland of Pa....I am sure you will fall in love
with this area.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 AM

269 posts, read 1,056,973 times
If I could inject just a dash of reality into this greeting card scenario. I lived there for years, graduated from HS there, even moved back after 4 years in the military. I have fond memories of the town, you will struggle to find more beautiful views anywhere...the mountains in Autumn are breathtaking. My best friends still live in JT. I miss the small town bars and general feeling of safety.

But....Jim Thorpe's only industry is tourism...so don't plan on working within 30miles. You'll find that it is a very small town...most people know each other, many are related. Many people have not travelled beyond Northeast PA and never will. It is not a transient place at all....so you'll find that most social groups have been together for generations, it's tough to break into for a newcomer.

Beautiful place to visit...very difficult place to call home.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,388 times
Exclamation taxes assessed on purchase price.

The taxes here may appear low when you look but be wary what you pay. Assessments for that school district are done on The purchase price and not the house you are getting so if you could get a house for $150000, you'd only be talking about $4000 a year in taxes (combined school and county) but i live in a vacation community (absolutely beautiful) and love it but a neighbor of mine paid 735,000 for a lake front 2000 sq ft ranch. he is now paying nearly $20000 a year in taxes. Just be wary of the purchase price and know that you will be reassessed withing 9 months of purchase (found that out the hard way too). Other than that it is beautiful. Long drives for everything though 25 miles for groceries for us and 30 miles to the nearest (decent) mall. I only commute 25miles to work so thats not bad for the area. Best of luck. Just wanted to give you a heads up on the way they do the assessment, where i was from before they always did the assessment on the actual house you had (sq ft, improvements, garages, pools, etc) not on the purchase price. A safe rate on the millage is to go 2400-2600 dollars for every 100000 spent...

Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
OMG, Brian! That's outrageous. I suppose you pay that amount because Jim Thorpe is now considered part of the Poconos.

Here in my area for a $100,000 house the property taxes (school and municipality) total about $1,500 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley